Ryan's Tossaround Race Machine (a Fuji Altamira)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

So, needing a crit bike, I've been perusing the Bay for awhile and then this came up with terrible pictures and little information on the size. It was pretty much a NOS 2012 Fuji Altamira Special Edition with SRAM Rival 22. The seller was clueless but I figured if it was a S/M I'd be set and if it was a M I'd still be good (he kept insisting it was a 53 TT...they don't make a 53 TT frame). I won the auction for $850 shipped to me and a week later I received a very poorly packed Fuji complete build. A few nicks, but whatever, this will probably see worse.

I swapped some parts from my parts bin but I need to seriously restrain myself from going weenie on it since this is supposed to be my crit racing/traveling/sketchy ride bike. Here's some pictures and I'll add some of the parts that have been swapped. It has a glaringly ugly red Fizik saddle, which I'm ashamed of and don't want to share right now.

Weight without wheels, cassette, tires and skewers is 4.9kg. Eek, that's almost as much as my full R5ca build. Add on a 1.85kg Shimano RS11 wheelset, 500g of tires, 160g of tubes, 330g cassette and 100g skewers and we're almost at 8kg.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! From the Vulgar Colnago, to the Ostentatious Fred Sled, and now the Tosser's Race Machine. Love your threads. By the way, do they make a camera lens with a 0.5 aperture? You should get one lol.
Looking forward to this.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I've had my eye on a Noktor f/0.95 lens for awhile but can't justify it since I don't shoot much anymore. I've had a 50mm F/1.2L (old version and new), which was fantastic. Got this little guy wide open on the old 50 1.2L:

I generally only have time to shoot bike parts in the evening, so wide open is the only option without setting a mini studio.

Also, I feel wrong calling this bike a tossaround bike, since it's such a pretty frame in person, but that's the purpose and price point I bought it for.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Funny about the eBay packing. I have experienced that as well. :)

So, was the size a true M?
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

No, it came out to be a Small/Medium which is what I was hoping it was. Stack is just right that I can run a -6* stem. For the first time ever, I need to run a setback post. It came with a 15mm setback post but I'm on the hunt for a 25mm so the saddle is centered on the rails. Something that isn't as much of an eyesore as the Oval post.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Your bontrager RXL isn't 25mm setback? if not, 3T Dorico (Team, LTD) would be a decent choice without breaking the bank for a crit bike.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Any updates on weight or full bike shot?

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm too embarrassed to show it with the hideous red and white fizik saddle that's on it right now. Once I get my combo from Berk I can put my current saddle on.

If I have time this weekend, I'll post some shots of parts I swapped out.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

The old altamira is an excellent choice for your stated purpose, I can't wait to see the complete build.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

No pictures, just empty promises?! Haha. Seriously, your bikes are incredible. I am sure it's more than worthy.

RyanH

by RyanH

It was supposed to be raining, so I took this out today. Here's a full shot finally. Will post some build shots when I have more than 5 minutes to myself.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Looks really good!

RyanH

by RyanH

So, the Fuji has been getting some more attention lately. Noticing that it has a ton of tire clearance, I've been taking advantage of the ability to run 27mm tubs, which is welcoming on days when I'm tired. The geo on this bike is a lot different than others I've ridden. BB drop is only 45mm! So, after seeing that, it made sense why the bike is very responsive to steering input. Doesn't make for the most confidence inspiring descender but in the drops with speeds of up to 45mph so far, it's manageable.

So, from the parts drawer, swapped some pieces:

Oval Concepts Bars 40cm @ 293g:

To 3T Ergonova Pro Alloy 40cm Bars @ 267g:

Savings:-26g

Blackburn?Generic? Carbon Cages with Steel Bolts @ 65g:

Worn and Loved Arundel Cages with Alloy Bolts @ 59g (front cage is 3g lighter due to wear over time):

Savings: -6g

Shimano Steel Skewers @ 124g:

To KCNC Ti Skewers @ 44g

Savings: -80g

SRAM Rival 22 50/34 GXP crankset @ 850g:

To: SRAM Red Quarq 53/39 GXP @ 760g:

Savings: -90g + power!

Oh, and don't let Performance build your bike (in addition to the below, almost every bolt was overtorqued and a few things were backwards). Note to Performance: wavy washer goes on the outside of the bearing seal...

Delogo'd Oval Stem @ 139g:

Wasn't worth swapping over to the 3T Pro which was practically the same weight (137g)

Reynolds 32 Wheelset with Vittoria Evo Pave 27mm Tubs, SRAM XG1190 11-26 Cassette and KCNC Skewers @ 1879g:

I'm missing a few things that were swapped, need to take pictures again, so I'll update it later.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I think k this bike would be real pretty with ran walls but I think that about practically everything

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Lol, I actually have an order of Veloflex coming in. A handful of Vlaanderen and Roubaix so I'll post a pic just for you when I mount the Vlaanderen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com