Posting Build Lists

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hi, I've got a build list in Excel I'd like to post. Could any of you advise on the best and most efficient way to do this? I'm familiar with using the BB codes to get images from Flickr into a thread, but less (completely) certain about how to just post the formatted contents (minus forumulas etc) of an Excel spreadsheet into the post. Any help out there, versus typing everything in separately like I've kinda done in the past?
Thanks, Cal
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

If you use mac just make "grab" screenshot, then convert it to png/jpg at any image processing app . I'm sure for Win PC exist adequate software to do that... .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

terrible1

by terrible1

stormur wrote:If you use mac just make "grab" screenshot, then convert it to png/jpg at any image processing app . I'm sure for Win PC exist adequate software to do that... .

Exacto. With PC, you would press the "Print Screen" button (usually on right of the F1-F12 button range) then open Microsoft Paint (or equivalent) and paste. Select the portion of the Excel image that you wish to show and save as jpg. Alternatively you could download some very useful cutting software, for example:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... tter.shtml

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Code: Select all

try entering        using the code tag
and it will        come out
like this        so long as your spacing     
is                  consistent

:lol:

Here's a better example using the [ code ] method:

Rear Derailleur          SRAM RED            98g
Front Derailleur          Tiso            55g
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, that's the approach I was taking. But it didn't work. I'd use "Snip-it" to cut the relevant excel portion and try to paste it into Paint, then I was going to sac as a jpg and upload to Flickr. Hasn't been working. Numbers not coming through. Strange. I'll try again next time I'm at the computer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, exactly... When I used the bbcodes the spacing is all wonky and a lot of editing is involved afterwards. Plus, if you're looking at it in Tapatalk or something then it's really unwieldy. Was hoping to just get a picture type format that you just "Open in Gallery" like a pic if you're in tapatalk.

tbrix

by tbrix

Does this mean you're building a new bike? Hot damn! I love your builds, even though your bikes are so large I can't even fantasize about riding them 168cms and short-legged). And your build threads are always great reading; very articulate and informative.

RyanH

by RyanH

As Prend mentioned, the code option works, and IMO is preferred since it's indexable by Google and the search feature. From Excel, you can save it as a Fixed Width file (.prn) or if you're using LibreOffice Calc, save as a csv and choose fixed width. It'll put spaces in there to pad everything correctly. Open with a text editor, copy and then paste between the code tags, to get a result like this:

Deda Elementi                                   25
FSA Headset Bearings w/ cover                   55
THM M3 SRM                                     459
Chainring Bolts                                 10
Fibre-Lyte Compact Chainrings                   75
SRAM Red FD                                     75
Reynolds RZR 46T                               970
R5ca THM Fork w/ expander                      257
KCNC Ti Skewers                                 41
Extralite Top Cap                                3
R5ca 51cm Frame w/ BB Bearings                 727
Veloflex Carbon 23                             534
Vittoria Mastik                                 27
EeBrakes 2015 Models                           170
Enve Brake Pads                                 21
3T Doric Team Seatpost (Tuned)                 162
3T Bars                                        202
3T Arx Stem                                    129
Cervelo Seat Clamp                              12
Berk Saddle                                     94
SRAM Red 11-23 Cassete                         135
Speedplay Ti Zero                              172
SRAM Chain                                     229
SRAM Red Rear Derailleur                       149
SRAM Red 10sp Shifters                         282
Alligator I-Links                               97
Arundel Bottle Cages                            56
Bottle Cage Bolts                              2.8
K-Edge Garmin Mount                             36
Misc Unknown                                    20

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That result is awful, at least on my iPhone in Tapatalk. But no worries and thanks for responding to those who did. The jpg file works best I think. I figured it out. Not searchable of course but doesn't matter. At least with the "picture" of it you just open it up and scroll around. I just like it when it's easy to read instead of all jumbled up due to different line lengths on different devices (full screen computer vs teensy iphone screen etc).

@Tbrix: thanks for the kudos on my build threads. Hopefully in next day or two I'll post something. Nothing too shocking just a complete makeover on my C59. Nothing's the same except the frame.

RyanH

by RyanH

Ya, I just checked it on Tapatalk and I guess they completely disregard the code tag. It looks really nice on a computer screen though.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

How does my list look in Tapatalk?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137612

Mine is from Excel, then I just added the periods between weights and item to format it here on WW. I've only looked at it in the browser, and used the default font.

RyanH wrote:.... is preferred since it's indexable by Google and the search feature......

I think this is very important, for Google and forum searches.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com