Look 795 light

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You cant use campy EPS. Look told me the post is not compatible with there internal battery or something like that.

The bike now has 50mm deep wheels in it. They are the ones I build my self although the pair in the bike were the original test pair I built up over two years ago and have given me sterling service (stiff and fast). So good in fact a elite team in the U.K wants 12 sets next year. I have IRC roadlites tubeless tyres on there at the moment. The bike is very comfortable and quick. Well that might be the position I have on it though. The saddle to handle bar drop is only 80mm but the centre of post to bars is 20 or is it 30mm longer. I feel flatter on this than my other machine's.

There are a couple of niggles though. The crank bearing preload adjuster needs frequent adjustment. It needs doing again as in the last race it got very clonky. The saddle binder bolt is something I undo and re tighten often too as it has habbit of looseing of and the seat moving slightly. I think the nose is pointing slightly up again as I felt pressure when on the drops during last saturday's race. There was one race earlier this year where there was a crash in front of me. I jammed on the anchors and came to full stop. the seat pointed to the stars and the pack took off. I gave chase bouncing on the saddle while I had pull of the mother of all effort to chase back on. I got back on with a level seat still dont know how I did it. Then however I was good for nothing and fell of the back 300m from the finish. I learnt that day check that bolt before I ride.

I am using the fibrelyte rings 52/42t on it now. I hardly ever use the inner ring. Shifting between rings is fine but I have to be careful as the chain can get caught. One reason why I dont shift rings in a race. Also the inner ring cant do the 12T rear sprocket well. I never need that gear as I never use the inner ring. Given the rings have done nearly 4000km they will wear out soon enough and might try will try Carbon ti rings instead as they also weight f*** all.

Yes availability of BB bearings is an issue. The bike was off the road for a couple of month earlier this year and I had to use the back up race bike. Since I have 2 back up race bikes, this is not an issue for me. The reason why I like the bike is because it is the mother of all one off's. I accept all it flaws as it flatter's my limited ability. It also handles very well and rewards every peddle stroke.

I did think about selling it but I have come to the conclusion there is no other bike I would rather have.

The one job I am not looking foward too over christmas is replacing the front mech cable. This might be the time to get a narrow wide ring and just go 1x11 with a bigger range rear cassette. I have got a 12-27T on there at the moment and I could go with a 53T front ring and 11-29T rear. I wonder if fibrelyte will do a tall toothed single ring or a special thick thin rings. Better give them a call and find out.

I use this bike now almost every week for racing and i cant think of a better bike for the job so long as you don't mind the ferrari like maintenance.

Oh I dont have the berk saddle any more as in a race this year I was doing well then one chap goes down in front of me in a bend and I have to ride over his bike. The result his bike is fine my saddle is cracked and that is that race over.

I will ride up to the shop tomorrow (if my sore backside is O.K I hit a deer on my MTB tonight. Oh deer that hurt). I wont have time to clean it but I will measure the various dimensions and take a photo. Also I can sort out the creaky BB again and check the saddle is level as I hope to race again on Saturday.

Current spec is
Campagnolo Record 11 speed ergo and mech.
Chorus 12-27T cassette.
KMC X11SL chain
Look Zed 3 cranks with fibrelyte chainrings 52/42T
BORG50C wheels 50mm deep 26.2mm wide with Miche hubs.
IRC roadlite tubeless tyres 23mm
Sella Italia team SLR saddle
Campagnolo Record brake with Campagnolo carbon brake pads.

stormur

by stormur

I'm not sure I would have/ride frame with so many issues... for the €/brand image it's.... disaster ? I planned to buy 695 iPack but your experience pushes my away from this idea... seriously.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well the BB thing is annoying but no problem either. the seat thing is an non issue now I check it regularly. I have not for a couple of ride. I would prefer the bike to be flawless. It may be I have a seat post with an issue. Talking to other look users there BB's are not niggle free but most find once they adjust it stays quiet for a long time. The up side is the bearings are so big one short race with a bit of a clonk wont do them any harm.

The bike works for me and initial issues I had with the BB appear to have been due to the factory installation of the bearings with loctite and the replacement set I fitted again with loctite. The DS bearing has been better since i removed it and stuck in place with tub glue of all things. Loctite didn't work I keep breaking the bond. I think the creaking issue it is more to do with me. I am a bigger unit and my low cadance efforts mean alot of torque. I typically ride at 70 rpm average in a race that may rise to 85 rpm. Other riders who spin more should fair better. Tomorrow I will knock the NDS bearing out and refit with tub glue as well. that should keep it quiet. I am pretty confident that this will solve the BB issue. Actually before the last race I did adjust the BB preload and removed a small ammount of play so I suspect the NDS brearing is no longer loctited in place and is moving slightly, hence my fix.

I am still happy I bought it. I like solving problems.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Well, that is enough for me to ever buy it!!! I have a 595 Ultra, and other than changing brake pads, cassettes, and chains I have not done a single thing to it. Works like a Swiss clock and reliably awesome!! Same for my Time RXR.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Actually the saddle problem was a problem caused by the berk saddle I think. The Look E post requires 7.0mm rails I think the berk saddle had 6.9mm rails anyway that was enough to cause slippage sometimes. The sella italia saddle since it was fitted in august has actually stayed put. maybe the pointing up business in in my head I will check today.

I have plenty of bikes that require little else other than normal mainatance but then they are all slower.

It is also possible I have a warranty issue with the BB so maybe my experience is not actually normal. Sample of one is a case study. Bigger samples are needed to know if there is a design problem or not.

Until I have exhausted all possible solutions I am not willing to send it back as that is real hassle.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Riding up this morning was pretty quiet. The BB was not making much of a noise at all. Removed the NDS BB bearing cleaned it all up put tub glue instead of loctite as the bearing came out pretty easily and reassembled. Now it is really quiet.

The saddle is definatley a non issue now. It seems to have been an issue with the size of the rails on the berk saddle. The selle Italia saddle has rails which are a fraction of mm bigger enough it seems to avoid an issue. Of course I ahve changed the saddle clamping parts so maybe that fixed it. All I know is now there is no issue any more.

The main problem I have is I am so time poor it takes me week to do simple jobs on my own bikes. If someone could just freeze time for the rest of the world then I could get an extra day into the week. That would help. The sky box is full of telly I want to watch but never get a chance too.

Bike with the deeper wheels in them. Must at some point re-rim with the new version with the UD finish and decals. that is another job though. maybe next year.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The bb has been queit for a while now i have been really enjoyng it.

DonW

by DonW

That stem to top tube transition makes it look like a bigger bike than it is. Really like the yellow cables.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One change for this year. Got a green narrow wide 52T chainring from garbaruk in the ukraine. The ring is asymmetric with 12% ovality. I really like it. All been using the bike alot through winter and thats why its dirty. The ring has made riding the nike a bit more pleasant. Hill climbing feels easier even though i should not be producing any more power.

Going to test it out in italy on sunday. Strada bianca GF should be a decent test of 1x11.

The braze on fd mount has to come off though. I also need to remove the fd cable next week.