Colnago EPS - MTBK - Trad 55

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrgray

by mrgray

I've spent alot of time looking out for a 55 traditional, preferably a C59 in the paint scheme PR99 (paint scheme as below).

(photo by Calnago)

I found one but so did everyone else on ebay and I don't think it is going to end up mine. Plus the $500 bucks to post it from NY to Sydney is a bridge too far.

I've tried a C60, C59 and a C40. So when an EPS came up in a traditional size 55 with a very weight weenie paint job (Matte Black - i.e. almost no paint) I thought it sounded like a good idea.

I have discussed having it changed into a PR99 by Sydney's finest bike paint artist, and that remains a possibility, but prior to that I thought I would have a dash and see how light I could build it up whilst still being a good ride for me (and my main ride). I currently do ~ 1,000 km's a month which is alot of work commuting and some weekday roller stuff and weekend rides.

I'm not shooting for the moon here ala kevinosinn or Jvan (and many others). I want basically a campag Colnago with some german bits and bobs and around 5.7 kg. I'm currently 6.2 kg on a sloping 52 C59 in gloss black. And yes I do not expect them to look very different (especially not in photos shown here).

Here is the C59

I have had a go at this before (with current bike to some extent and the white C60 before) and a year into riding alot I have a pretty good idea of what I am after and can hopefully cut down on noob errors like:
- powercords (i know some people get these working and i did too for awhile but overall for me a bit of a pit of despair and lost dollars)
- very light and expensive parts that aren't the right size (schmolke TLO handlebars that weigh 154 g but have a 90 mm odd reach)
- cutting weight by using veloflex records and actually thinking riding them will be OK (i'm 90 kgs and i my back isn't awesome so i need some give in the rear)

Anyway the bike frame, fork, post, headset is on the way. I am led to believe the weight is significantly less than the C59. However we will see. I will post all weights for this build. This may be an asset to the colnago build community as there are not that many weighed frames that I've come across.

Rest of planned build is below. Some parts I will cannibalise from the C59, some I have bought. Wanted to keep options open if I stuff stuff up so that I should always have something to ride and not get caught in-between.

Note most weights to be confirmed. Some are approximate only (if that).

Some of the items will change. For example I want to get MCFK bar and stem, but never quite can do it because the expense is killer and usually stem not in stock. But this project may lead to such purchases being made. I could just stick an extralite on it but I do think it lacks stiffness. Mean time I'll try the Deda Superleggera.

So if I am going to make 5.7 kg with 25 mm tubulars on it some work will be required. All suggestions welcome.

I'll be back with some weights once the frame and some parts arrive.

This is a photo of the frame in question.

(not the actual - but like this)

(picture taken from http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com.au/2011/0 ... f-day.html)
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

I'll be following with interest. I have a EPS and just picked up a C59 AD10 frameset today.
Mine will be on a much tighter budget however.
Are you going to be running electrical tape as opposed to bar tape?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Following with interest too. I have several C59s and an EPS.

mrgray

by mrgray

fletch62
it is tesa tape from RS that i use as shown here http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/electrica ... s/7682561/\got the idea from WW - it is absorbent, cheap, light and vibration dampening (to some extent). great stuff.

given both respondents so far own both a c59 and eps can you offer an opinion as to whether or not i am i in for a happy result with the eps frame weight versus c59 ?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@mrgray... Flattered that you used my bike as an example of something you like. That particular frame is kind of a one off from Colnago, with no model name anywhere on it (it's a traditional EPQ) and fewer logos than you'd find on an EPS PR99 (which the paint scheme was derived from). It is essentially a C59 but using EPS top and down tubes, with the top tube being reworked a bit to fit into the squarish C59 seat cluster lug.
I don't know that you will find much of a difference actually. I have not owned an EPS but I've heard the bayleaf chainstays provide for a bit harsher ride than say, a C50. Don't know if it'd be all that noticeable however. Can't see the whole frame being significantly lighter than a C59, I actually think it might come in heavier. But you will know soon enough. Good luck with your project.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

If you want to hold off on the stem purchase for a bit, I'll be ordering a mcfk stem soon and will take a video of the flex side by side with the Zipp stem and 3t stem as well as after it gets bonded.

I'm a fair bit lighter than you but I like a really stiff Cockpit so hopefully I'll be able to provide useful feedback.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi All,
well bike arrived as did other parts and instead of meticulously weighing everything, cleaning it all up as i went and making a photo record i tore into it and built it. i wish i could put together more dramatic/didactic threads ala Jvan and RyanH but it is what it is.

An issue for me in any case is that I might build it as A, but next evening it has changed because i wanted/needed to put other wheels on it or i have some change of heart or because the fancy lightweight brakes i bought turn out to be beyond my limited wrenching skills (but sure to weigh good - thanks THM!).

Constantly as i am putting the bike together i want the lightest part because i fixate on that goal, but then i think "hey steve, this is for riding right?" and suddenly it has a deda stem on it, or some nice wheels like boras that actually break, but the weight has ballooned. Or some brakes that actually reset once they've been pulled! (thanks THM!)

Anyway 5.7 kg is pure fantasy because as Calnago pointed out, an EPS is alot like a C59. And so the idea that suddenly I was going to be 200g less (matt paint or no) turned out to be me in lal la land. 1190 grams for the frame. To be fair to Colnago that does include the bearings for the headset and the hanger (and thank god for that!). But not alot lighter than my C59 and maybe heavier (as i recall RyanH reports a better weight than this for his C59 which is also a 52S).

At which point one might bother why do it? A gloss black C59 52s changed up for a Matt Black in 55 (trad).

Well i do like to try things out for myself and i have always imagined that a size 55 colnago traditional might be spot on for me. Also i was hoping for more compliance.

Anyway i did build it and i have been through a few incarnations but here it is for today's inaugural ride.

As shown we are about 6.8 kg i'd say but that includes a big pump etc. with lightweights, thm fibulas and 23 mm carbons i am about 6.1 kg. with boras and 25 mm tyres and god knows how much tufo extreme stuffed in them and heavier cassette i end up at 6.5 kg.

here is a relatively lightweight configuration. 6.1 kg.

Also for posterity the weight of an eps frame - trad 55 in MTBK - 1190 g

Also can i point out that the ride was hot today. How hot? Look at this!

(says 44.9 degrees in upper right hand corner)
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

and now some photos where you can actually see the new bike and some comments on ride and fit

So i had a hunch that a 55 in trad would be a pretty good fit for me and based on today i think that hunch was good. essentially my reach is smaller than the 52s and the stack is a little lower. it feels like i'm going to roll forward off of the bike a bit. the handling was super good and i feel like the weight is just better. no hands was a breeze! i haven't felt that great about the no hands stuff on the 52s. i think i tended to set them up longer though so maybe i could have achieved same on them with some modification.

anyway - fit was good. 100 kms on bike today and soreness in neck a bit but back ok and everything good. so that is a promising start.

feel. this is very subjective but to me it felt even better than the c59 which itself was better than the c60 and what i am talking about here is the "compliance". road buzz doesn't exist pretty much, it feels nice, not like a china plate, big bangs are big bangs but there is some give. it was nuanced not dramatic, but i felt like it was different to the c59 (same everything, wheels, stem, bars, tyres, saddle and seatpost but not same position)..

overall i think my hunch turned out right. me and the traditional 55 are a match!

the only difficulty getting it painted pr99 now would be staying off it for the month or so that would take.

future works planned
1. sell thm fibula brakes to a more worthy person who can wrench properly
2. buy ee brakes
3. install a tlo post (no offset) to see if that works and because the daedalus is rated for 85 kg only and i'm worried one day it will explore my prostate (as alluded to by jerk in recent post) - also 30g!
4. continue to hem and haw about buying a mcfk bar but balk at cost because i love the deda presa
5. as above wrt mcfk stem
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Bely

by Bely

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

kgt

by kgt

It is just amazing.
i like it more with the LWs btw.

njyeti

by njyeti

That's a beautiful bike! I love the look of carbon paired with the lugs.

PSM

by PSM

What's with that bar tape wrapping?

mrgray

by mrgray

bar wrap is insulation tape (fluffy stuff). when first setting up a bike i tend to wrap and unwrap it a million times and this stuff is cheap. also i save like 55 g with this stuff and i like it. when everything is right though i'll probably stick some real tape on it. maybe.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

kgt

by kgt

This bike deserves a proper bartape IMHO. Deda perforated will not weight more than 40gr.

KCookie

by KCookie

Love the bike, but not the 44.9c. Must be mad ridding in that heat. Got a few 40c days on the way here in Adelaide. !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com