Colnago EPS - MTBK - Trad 55

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

I think you bike would be happier with a Deda perforated bar tape. :)

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks for the recommendation re: bar tape. 29 grams for the deda. i will give tape another shot and see if i like it.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Do not strech it to much. It will break. But in is nice to grip and lightweight. :)

mrgray

by mrgray

Anyone with any thoughts on EPS versus C59 or C60. Big difference i notice is in front of the bike. I think the front of the EPS is much more giving than the C59. It has a real float feel to it versus the C59 i think. and again, this is all same stuff; i.e. wheels, tyres, bars and stem. i keep thinking my tyre pressure must be down.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd guess maybe it's your tire pressure. I don't notice a significant (any) difference in the front ends. Same forks, at least between the EPS and C59 (except for the very very end of the C59 run). The down tubes are a different construction but I certainly don't find the "feel" of the front ends to be different. Are the bikes you're comparing identical sizes, and geometries? Is your setup exactly the same on both bikes, and by setup I'm not just implying the same components, but same saddle height/angle and setback. Same saddle/bar drop. Same reach to bars, etc.
Edit: just reread your earlier posts above. The two bikes you're trying to compare are two different sizes. 52s vs 55trad... Close but no cigar. Hard to make more than very subjective statements. If one feels better to you however, go with it.

By the way, what is that blue logo on the inside of your left chainstay? Is that a distributors logo or something? The one fake matte black EPS I've seen had that logo. Not saying yours is fake but I've always been curious what that logo is because I've seen it on various bikes.
If you at all suspect you may have a fake frame a sure fire way to determine that would be to remove the fork and stick your finger up the headtube from the bottom and into the downtube to feel for the three longitudinal internal ribs. The fake one I inspected did not have that ribbing. It also did not have the alloy cups in top and bottom of the headtube. Yours, from what I can see, does. Although the photos are really dark. And fake ones are real sloppy inside the headtube whereas a real one has perfectly mitered tubes fitted and bonded perfectly into the lugs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrgray

by mrgray

yeah it is a blue omega symbol and it is on both chainstays. i will take a photo tonight and post as this may be of interest to someone and also they might tell me what it means as i have googled and nothing is coming up. also i have contacted the guy who bought it and he doesn't know either. purchased from a bike shop apparently (bike pro) in malaysia.

if i have it apart i will check for the ribbing. thanks.

definitely have tyres pumped up and it is definitely softer in front end however as you point out Calnago, not same geo and obviously not samer position etc. whatever it is it is working and i quite like it!
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

emorydptt

by emorydptt

My EPS is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden and I have been fortunate to be ridden alot of different bikes.
Mine is a 53 traditional and it has been rebuilt from the picture above with Deda NeroZero stem and Deda carbon handlebars.
I took it to Richmond for Worlds last year.

I had a chance to ride a c59 for about 5 months, but it was a 45s. It is smaller but was set up with a similar stack/reach/saddle height as the EPS. I was expecting to be blown away by the c59, however I was left a little disappointed. It felt stiff and not as lively. This may have been due to the size.

I maybe giving a c60 or another c59 in a proper size soon.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

mrgray

by mrgray

4 real!!!! and you've got the omega stickers too! do you know what they mean? thanks for chiming in. interesting to hear your take on it. and by the way

NICE BIKE!!
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Pr1mo

by Pr1mo

mrgray wrote:4 real!!!! and you've got the omega stickers too! do you know what they mean? thanks for chiming in. interesting to hear your take on it. and by the way

NICE BIKE!!

Would suspect it has something to do with the carbon fibre process developed with Ferrari, it was referred to as Colnago Omega Carbon. They also have Colnago Alfa Carbon process.

Love your bikes btw.

mrgray

by mrgray

@ Pr1mo thank you for this. i will do some further delving and this is a great starting point for me.

In regard to the EPS ride what is interesting to me are the numerous reviewers who indicate a "very stiff" front end. i'm not seeing it. i would say the exact opposite.

I continue to put kms on and currently am looking at the following changes:
- schmolke tlo seatpost (78 g) and rated for 90 kg.
- front derailleur - currently running SR pre 2015 and i din't think it is going great. keeping putting chain off big ring. so maybe as everyone indicates there is a compatibility issue!
- tape - order lizard skin 2.5 mm and will give that a shot

Running with Bora's I am 6.28 kg
Running with LW's I am around 6.1 kg
Last edited by mrgray on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

here is some material i found on Omega Carbon

"Developed in collaboration with Ferrari Engineering, the Colnago omega carbon process provides a combination of attributes unattainable with other composite techniques: extreme strength; light weight and a huge range of sizes for a perfect fit.

The key is Colnago’s proprietary carbon lugs. These superbly engineered components comprise 12 layers of meticulously arranged carbon cloth, combining woven and unidirectional fibers to put strength exactly where it is needed. The laid-up lugs are cured at high heat and pressure to make a seamless whole whose smooth internal surfaces prefectly distribute stress. The result is a supremely strong joint.

Only the best possible tubing can be used to connect these high-tech works of art. Our 3PRS tubes are hand-wound from pre-impregnated carbon fiber cloth. This allows us to perfectly control the composition of the final tube, and the layers and orientation of the fibers, to obtain the exact performance and riding characteristics that make a Colnago bicycle.

A high-precision steel mandrel provides the shape of the three 10mm wide ribs which strengthen the tube and help damp road shock for a glorious, feathery ride, and supports the tube as it is cured for a precise shape, inside and out.

The top tube of the EPS is tapered, with a 40mm diameter at the head tube area tapering down to 35mm at the seat tube area. The rear triangle is the proven B-Stay and the leaf-shaped chain stay.

The tubes and lugs of the EPS are joined with a high-strength bonding agent and cured in a precision steel jig for the most accurate possible alignment.

This combination of tubes and lugs allows us to offer our lugged carbon frames in an astonishing 22 sizes – 14 in traditional geometry and 8 in sloping. We also make additional lugs so that we are able to offer custom options to rides with special requirements. In total, over 150 different molds are used to make the Omega carbon range – there are 30 different head lugs alone.

The design and construction of each carbon lug has been exhaustively studied and tested at Colnago, and in the laboratory. Continuous feedback from our professional riders informs these tests to ensure that the final product conforms not only to the most rigorous technical standards, but also to the high standards of the world’s top cyclists. Colnago frames are tested in all road conditions and situations, including climbs and descents, on smooth-surfaced roads and cobbled streets, in maximum wattage sprints and in time trials. Nothing is left to chance.

http://www.bicycleemporium.com/colnago- ... arbon.aspx
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ah, so basically a marketing logo then.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrgray

by mrgray

in a nutshell, yes
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

emorydptt

by emorydptt

mrgray wrote:In regard to the EPS ride what is interesting to me are the numerous reviewers who indicate a "very stiff" front end. i'm not seeing it. i would say the exact opposite.

I continue to put kms on and currently am looking at the following changes:
- front derailleur - currently running SR pre 2015 and i din't think it is going great. keeping putting chain off big ring. so maybe as everyone indicates there is a compatibility issue!

I find that my EPS is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. Absorbs the road noise excellently. Very responsive- especially on twisty descents. All I have to do is think about the upcoming turn and it's like the bike automatically does it.

I have not had any issues with my SR front derailleur. Shifts perfectly and no chain drops on the inside or outside.

Good luck!
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

@emorydptt i should clarify i was running SR pre 2015 FD with everything else SR 2015. i presume this is the source of my issues however it may also just be an install issue as i am a bit of a noob.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg