New guy... these are my rides.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Upgrades look awesome! How difficult was it to set up the linked housing? I have heard some say it's tough to get just right the first time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

SpecializedColnago wrote:Upgrades look awesome! How difficult was it to set up the linked housing? I have heard some say it's tough to get just right the first time.

Unfortunately, I didn't set it up.... my club just switched shops and there's a mechanic there that I really like. He helped me out on something earlier and I could tell that he had a very close attention to detail. My Venge is my baby and I know that if I tried to do it, I wouldn't get it quite right and I'd be annoyed. Its my understanding that the Jagwire is a little easier to work with because it sort of clicks in, as opposed to simply overlapping and connecting. It's also not quite as light as the other linked housings on the market. I wasn't so concerned about the weight... I was more concerned with the compression-less feel.

When I do the Allez, I'm going to attempt it myself.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Pretty stoked... about to start a project.

I made some changes to the Venge, that resulted in some changes to the Allez, so I decided to continue the process and complete the Allez.

I put the ee brakes on the Venge and swapped the DA9000 brakes onto the Allez. I'm also swapping the crank on the Venge, up to a 52-36 and putting the 50-34 that's currently on the Venge on the Allez. I could have simply swapped the rings on the Venge, but I decided that I'm gonna strip the paint off the Allez frame and then polish and clear it and I figured the silver and black DA 9000 crank would look better than the Ultegra 6800 crank. I also grabbed DA9000 FD, RD and levers and I bought an S-Works Tarmac fork. I think the S-Works fork will end up about 100g lighter, maybe more. I'm curious how much weight will come off when I strip the paint from the frame too. I'm estimating that the Allez will come in around 15 pounds. It'll be interesting to see for sure. pics coming soon.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Linked cables are kind of a pita, I use aicans with my EE brakes.. the rear has never felt as good as the front.. but it's good enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

spdntrxi wrote:Linked cables are kind of a pita, I use aicans with my EE brakes.. the rear has never felt as good as the front.. but it's good enough for me

I'm using Jagwire Elite Link.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:Linked cables are kind of a pita, I use aicans with my EE brakes.. the rear has never felt as good as the front.. but it's good enough for me

I'm using Jagwire Elite Link.

I know.. but install in similar.. pita. If you did it you would know. :D
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Good stuff Rich. Now I know why you wanted an all black fork.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

1swiftvelo wrote:Good stuff Rich. Now I know why you wanted an all black fork.

Yup.... you got it. I ended up getting an all-black S-Works fork from my local shop that sponsors our club. Obviously, it was more than the fork you had, but it was straight black, which was what i wanted and the fact that it was S-Works is nice too...

Do you still have yours? Any chance you could throw it on a scale and get me a weight?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Well... there's no turning back now. I started stripping the paint off the Allez today.

I also picked up an all- black, S-Works Tarmac fork last week and today, with the steerer cut to match my current fit, the S-Works fork is 91g lighter than the standard Tarmac fork that comes on the DSW Allez.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Here are some updates....

Here's the frame, clean with S-Works fork. I shed 150g total between the frame and fork. 91g on the fork and 59 grams on the frame.

I dropped the frame off with a friend that owns a body shop for decals and clear coat... this is pre-clear.

and this is after the clear coat.

synthesis

by synthesis

I did that to 2004 Pinarello Prince sl, my boss was tired of kicking it around the basement under the shop I was in at the time, so he gave it to me for free... The frame had been powder coated over the original paint, I lost close to 200g when it was in bare Alu.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

synthesis wrote:I did that to 2004 Pinarello Prince sl, my boss was tired of kicking it around the basement under the shop I was in at the time, so he gave it to me for free... The frame had been powder coated over the original paint, I lost close to 200g when it was in bare Alu.

Yes.. I was surprised at how little paint was actually on the frame, but I guess that Specialized tries to keep these frames as light as possible to be competitive with the mark set by the Caad10/12. I'm also assuming that the flat black paint also requires very little paint while other, more complicated colors might require more coats. I'm pretty sure that the larger tubes only had 1 coat. The paint came off so quickly an easily. On the smaller, tubes of the stays and in the joint areas, the paint hung around a little better and I'm guessing that it had to with putting some extra coats while making sure that everything got coverage.

KCookie

by KCookie

Looks great, out of curiosity how much did much did the decals and clear coat add. !!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KCookie wrote:Looks great, out of curiosity how much did much did the decals and clear coat add. !!

I'm not sure yet. I pick the frame up from the body shop tomorrow. I'll have weights for you tomorrow afternoon.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KCookie wrote:Looks great, out of curiosity how much did much did the decals and clear coat add. !!

The clear coat and decals added 51g back on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com