Ryan's Ostentatious Fred Sled (Cervelo R5ca) - "Final" pics on pg 15

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

That's a tricky question. Nothing can really replace this build without ending up right back where I am. If I sell it for a tidy profit, it's an opportunity to simplify my bike needs/wants (at least temporarily).

I'm riding around this week on my Altamira with 27mm tubs at 75psi and happy as a clam. That bike cost me $800 plus the cost of the wheels sitting in the closet. I also don't care if I lean it against a post and it scratches or I broke it in half at Rose Bowl (very possible). It's a weird, comforting feeling.

Then I'll pick up an S5 second hand, make it an aero weenie. It'll be a racing tool, no more no less. Both will get power meters and eTap. That'll round out my ride stable of N=2. That'd be the most practical collection based on my needs/wants, but my wants are not normally practical, so we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Such a beautiful final build. Someone is going to be really happy with it.

Is the Rose Bowl a place bikes are often broken in half?

RyanH

by RyanH

It seems bike handling skills have been in short supply lately. Rose Bowl is at the mercy of pedestrians not paying attention on the inner ring as we whirl around at either 25mph on the backside or 35 mph on the frontside. Montrose occasionally sees spills with the group being 100+ people doing 25 to 30 mph and sudden changes in traffic (or no changes and just going straight). Even Nichols has had its fair share of spills lately on the downhill sprint (ya, brilliant idea).

While I don't think I've seen a frame broken in half in awhile, those are definitely the speeds that that would happen.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice buildup and good luck with the sale. I saw it as well (even though it's at the other end of the sizing spectrum).

S5 are nice frames, as well. Have fun with the next build and ride safe.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Yah, I'd totally do those rides more often but nope I like my bike too much. Mr. Duck got taken out by someone like running across the road at the Bowl or something, no thank you.

akaricerocket

by akaricerocket

I've Been following this build closely and I'm very impressed with your Cervelo. Great review of the components, and i'm saving up my pennies to bring my bike to your your level of awesomeness.

Jimmy

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks all. My local shop had a Scott Foil Team in my size, so I'm picking that up later this week when they get the bar/stem in my size from Scott.

Right now the plan is to keep the R5ca but downgrade a few parts. If you're interested in some of the components, shoot me a pm (I'm open to selling the frameset for the right price, but I'd like to get some time in on the Scott before making that decision).

RyanH

by RyanH

I think I'll build the Cervelo back up with a little of this:

Haven't ridden Campy since I first started cycling, so now would be a good time to give it a go while I wait for another eTap groupset to come in.

robobiking

by robobiking

You have a very nice bike :thumbup: Nice part choices
https://robobiking.wordpress.com/
Test & Story Blog for all kind of cycling stuff

Cannondale F600 tuned (9kg)

RyanH

by RyanH

I decided to class the girl up a little bit with some Super Record; however, although you can get her off the street, some SRAM Red baggage may come along with.

Weight without wheelset:

Complete:

So, at 3,566g without wheels, it's about 5.26 kg with the RZRs and 5.84kg with the Zipp 404s.

mythical

by mythical

What a fantastic looking bike! Still, I find it a bit strange that it's not lighter. Bikes with similar specs usually weigh about 1kg or so less and eTAP doesn't add much weight compared to mechanical.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

ardi69gain

by ardi69gain

Use a sub 1kg wheels would be lovely [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES][SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I have sub-1kg wheels, the RZRs, which weigh in at 968g. Pics are a page or so back.

@mythical, in the 4kg range? I don't see many builds in the low 4kg range without heavy tuning. It was sub 5kg briefly with Sram Red Mechanical, FIbre-Lytes and the Fibulas. The Praxis rings added 80g, eTAP added 80g (Super Record saved about 20g over eTAP), and I gained over 100g by losing the Fibulas. Depending on what my bike stable shakes out to be, I may acquire another pair of Fibulas. I like them more than the ee's and they're a load lighter than the OEM brakes. The only downside is that going from Zipp wheels to RZRs would be a pain (26mm to 21mm brake tracks). If I keep the Scott, then I may also get a 52T Fibre-Lyte big ring.

AZK

by AZK

RyanH wrote:I decided to class the girl up a little bit with some Super Record; however, although you can get her off the street, some SRAM Red baggage may come along with.

Great thread to read through. On your latest setup are you now running a RED cassette with a Super Record Groupset? If so hows the shifting and which chain are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Shifting is perfect with a Red 22 chain.