My (very orange) Santa Cruz Stigmata - 'cross / gravel bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

thp

by thp

Get spacers for your cleats, don't cut the shoes!

kfreytag

by kfreytag

jbaillie wrote:Wow, seems like kinda an egregious design error on Lake's part, no?

Sure seems like it to me. Feels like something's wrong when I have to start dremelling shoes to make one of the most popular pedals fit.

jbaillie wrote:Bike looks beautiful, btw. Sort of a swiss army knife, as it were (suitable for most any terrain). Love the color too.

Thanks! I think it really can be. For wet weather training, I may just throw on some KeO Blades and ride with road shoes (my knee is killing me after yesterday's jaunt with Egg Beaters and those Lake shoes).
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kfreytag

by kfreytag

thp wrote:Get spacers for your cleats, don't cut the shoes!

Pointer to a source for spacers?

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

zwingz wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers-Bike-Shoe-Shields/dp/B014Q1LJDK

Those are for Egg Beaters. Think I want to switch over to the XTRs. Here's a pair of cleats with spacers, though they look a little "fly by night":

http://www.amazon.com/Ryder-Enterprises-RD12000-SPD-Cleats/dp/B00O5WTL5E

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

Be careful- I have the same shoes and pedals. In 5 rides they wore down- now they are actually too sloppy.

kfreytag wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Re: Cleats. Are you speaking of the side to side adjustment of the cleats running up against the small edge of rubber on the inside of the cleat bed? I did cut part of that off to allow my cleat to have maximum room and also sit flat.

Yup. Here's a pic to attempt to show what I'm talking about. You can see that I can get the front of the cleat in but the shoe interferes with getting the rear seated because the lugs on the sole are too tall for the platform of the XTR pedal. Looks like the only option is to shave them down.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

boots2000 wrote:Be careful- I have the same shoes and pedals. In 5 rides they wore down- now they are actually too sloppy.

So, do you suggest a different shoe? I was considering simply getting some S-Works XC shoes, as I ride S-Works Road shoes and the BG fit / insoles are perfect for me.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

Maybe, I am saying that my Lake 237 mtb shoes seemed tight with 9000 XTR race pedals when shoes were brand new- after about 5 rides they seemed sloppy.
Main thing I am saying is don't take a dremel to the rubber on the shoes.
Specialized mtb shoes are nice and by all accounts work well with the Shimano pedals.

kfreytag wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Be careful- I have the same shoes and pedals. In 5 rides they wore down- now they are actually too sloppy.

So, do you suggest a different shoe? I was considering simply getting some S-Works XC shoes, as I ride S-Works Road shoes and the BG fit / insoles are perfect for me.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

boots2000 wrote:Maybe, I am saying that my Lake 237 mtb shoes seemed tight with 9000 XTR race pedals when shoes were brand new- after about 5 rides they seemed sloppy.
Specialized mtb shoes are nice and by all accounts work well with the Shimano pedals.

I just tried on some S-Works XC MTB shoes. I ride a 44 in S-Works road but the 44 S-Works XC was *really* tight (length). No 44.5 in stock.

Also tried the Comp in a 44.5. Length was there but the toe box was uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.

I'll go get some Spesh insoles for the Lakes (MX 331) and see if I can fix the knee alignment before I buy new $400 shoes.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

I am going to try some eggbeater pedals with my Lake shoes before I condemn the shoes.
I am planning to use their tread contact pieces to customize the interface.

kfreytag wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Maybe, I am saying that my Lake 237 mtb shoes seemed tight with 9000 XTR race pedals when shoes were brand new- after about 5 rides they seemed sloppy.

I just tried on some S-Works XC MTB shoes. I ride a 44 in S-Works road but the 44 S-Works XC was *really* tight (length). No 44.5 in stock.

Also tried the Comp in a 44.5. Length was there but the toe box was uncomfortable after about 10 minutes.

I'll go get some Spesh insoles for the Lakes (MX 331) and see if I can fix the knee alignment before I buy new $400 shoes.

Marin

by Marin

Of course you cut the shoes, just a few mm right where the interference happens. The soles will wear from walking anyway!

Spacers will raise your feet away from the pedal axle which is the last thing you want and a bodge. Function comes 1st.

erik$

by erik$

Nice Stigmata! I love mine as well - incredibly versatile and a lot of fun!

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

@OP - how's the long term use of that Short Cage rear der with the 11-32t rear cassette? I thought one has to use a long cage for that range?

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Jmdesignz2 wrote:@OP - how's the long term use of that Short Cage rear der with the 11-32t rear cassette? I thought one has to use a long cage for that range?

Raised from the dead! :evil:

It's working great! The key is that you can't run a 50T front chainring. If you've got a 'cross ring up front, you're good-to-go. I don't know what the upper limit is of the front chainring, but the Campy CX11 is a 46T big ring.

I've considered going to a Ultegra rear derailleur and a single ring crank, but I ride the Stig on rainy road days, and I don't want to spin 150rpm on the flats...

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Will eventually lockup on the tension pulley on a rough course. 425mm stays. 110link chain
Run a 6800 GS and have some peace of mind.