2015 BMC teammachine SLR01 Ultegra Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

Hi everyone,

This is the first bike I will post on WW, it's a 2015 BMC teammachine SLR01 58cm.
This is my second racebike, I also have a 2014 BMC GranFondo GF02 with Shimano 105 which I will still use to commute to work twice a week (at least that's my goal). Picture from the LBS without bottle cages.

This frame (color: Shark) is originally from the Dura Ace mechanical fitted one, but I asked the shop to install Ultegra Di2 on it. My aim was to have a nice allround bike with Di2 around 7kg.

• Wheelset: Zipp 303 Firecrest
  • Tires: Vittoria Open Corsa SC 25mm
  • Saddle: Fizik Antares R3 Braided
  • Stem: 3T Arx II Team Stealth (110mm)
  • Bar: 3T Ergonova Team Stealth (440mm)
  • Bar Tape: Fizik Endurance Soft Touch (Black)
  • Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon/Ti Axle
  • Bottle Cages: 2 * Time Carbon matte black - 16 grams each (claimed weight 25 grams)
  • Computer: Garmin Edge 1000

Picture from the first ride:

I will take some decent pictures (with the bottle cages) when the weather is nice again.

Weight is 7.345kg (bottle cages not even on it yet). This is about 300 more than I expected. There is another 2015 SLR01 with Ultegra mechanical on here with very similar specs that weighs 6.83kg. Biggest difference seems to be the wheels and maybe mech. instead of Di2, although this file suggests the weight of an Ultegra Di2 group should be almost the same as mechanical.

I'm not sure which inner tubes were installed by the shop, that's the only part I'm not sure about but I doubt this can make for 300 grams difference. I'll check out the inner tubes when I have the chance, but it seems I'm a long way from the 7kg I was hoping for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Get use to that people cheat on weights like hell :) . Sometimes I see bike with components that MUST be 8kg, no mercy ( 1400g frame, Ultegra, 3T Pro components, Fizik Alliante Kium, 1600g wheelset, 11-28 cassette.... and declared weigh.... 7.02kg :) :) :)

Do not trust everything what people write here ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

RazorL

by RazorL

Nice, BMC
I think i know that bike path.
Where are you from in Flanders, The region of Asse?

Roel W

by Roel W

Nice bike, black + gumwalls is a killer combination.
Don't care about the 300gr, go for comfort!

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

stormur wrote:Get use to that people cheat on weights like hell :) . Sometimes I see bike with components that MUST be 8kg, no mercy ( 1400g frame, Ultegra, 3T Pro components, Fizik Alliante Kium, 1600g wheelset, 11-28 cassette.... and declared weigh.... 7.02kg :) :) :)

Do not trust everything what people write here ;)

Well, that's also a possibility! Either way I'm happy with the bike as it is. I know I used good components while keeping an eye on the comfort/weight balance.

RazorL wrote:Nice, BMC
I think i know that bike path.
Where are you from in Flanders, The region of Asse?

Thanks. That's the bike path along the railroad Brussels-Antwerp. I'm from the Antwerp-Mechelen region. You?

Roel W wrote:Nice bike, black + gumwalls is a killer combination.
Don't care about the 300gr, go for comfort!

Thanks! I'm really glad how it turned out. And I guess you're right, but this is the WeightWeenies forum for a reason... :)

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Beautiful bike and great specs :beerchug:

tbrix

by tbrix

That looks great, well done, from a fellow Team Machine owner.

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

Update on the Time carbon bottle cages: Don't buy them.

Last saturday during a ride, the bottom cracked and my bottle luckily was leaning on my downtube instead of falling of my bike and causing me/someone to crash.
They were not very solid to begin with: From the start the bottles rattled against the frame when they're full.

They might be very light at 15 grams and look good, but I now learned that low weight should not be the priority over durability/quality. Now looking for other matt black/carbon bottle cages that are more durable but still match the frame.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Arundel Mandibles in oil slick color maybe?
Everyone says they hold the bottle very securely.
I know they aren't that easy to find in Belgium, but I ordered them from Wiggle at a decent price...

mai

by mai

yup highly recommend the mandibles. holds my camelbak bottles just right - some people even feel it's a bit too tight

bikericer

by bikericer

I loved my Dave-O cages for 6+ years and have been loving my mandibles for the past 3-4 years. Plus Dave is a cool dude who still mixes it up at local races.

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

Meanwhile I just bought Tacx Deva bottle cages. Maybe not as nice as the Manibles, but at €9.9 a piece and 29 grams they are a good deal and if they're good enough for Peter Sagan, they're good enough for me :)

This means I took a +26g hit, but I prefer my bottles being secure! The broken Time bottle cage has been sent back for a warranty replacement, but I doubt I'll be using them if I receive a new one.

Look565w

by Look565w

Hi LeBramJames,

Sweet looking BMC you have there! :thumbup:

The first images you posted of your bike in (with the stair case as backdrop), given your location - I assume is the BMC Store just outside Oudenaarde, right?
We past it a few weeks ago when doing the Vlaanderen Sportive on the way back to Brugge after the ride. It looks huge & fully spec.
So wanted to stop and pay a visit, but unfortunately it was shut for the day :(

P.S Just want to say, I loved the few days I spent in your beautiful country, the people, cycling & lifestyle is just super cool! :thumbup:

P.P.S - I recommend the Arundel Mandible carbon cages too, I have 2 carbon gloss ones on my C60 :beerchug:

Cheers

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

Look565w wrote:Hi LeBramJames,

Sweet looking BMC you have there! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Look565w wrote:The first images you posted of your bike in (with the stair case as backdrop), given your location - I assume is the BMC Store just outside Oudenaarde, right?
We past it a few weeks ago when doing the Vlaanderen Sportive on the way back to Brugge after the ride. It looks huge & fully spec.
So wanted to stop and pay a visit, but unfortunately it was shut for the day :(

P.S Just want to say, I loved the few days I spent in your beautiful country, the people, cycling & lifestyle is just super cool! :thumbup: [

It's the BMC Concept Store in Eke, yes. They have a lot of bikes on display and a lot of gear too (although I wouldn't buy a helmet or shoes there, they're way more expensive than on the web or in other stores). It's also the HQ for BMC Racing Team, they have some of the bikes on display referring to past victories (I believe world championship bike from Philippe Gilbert, Cadel Evans bike with which he won the Tour for example). Definitely worth a visit if you have the chance to come back!

Look565w wrote:P.P.S - I recommend the Arundel Mandible carbon cages too, I have 2 carbon gloss ones on my C60 :beerchug:

For now I'm OK with the Tacx Deva bottle cages, but the Manibles sure look very nice :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

recaro

by recaro

One question only.

Were there any problems putting on 25mm tires? Because SLR01 models aloud only 23mm tires...

Thanks