Custom Sarto by Optimized Cycling

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

skiezo

by skiezo

This is my custom geo. Sarto Trama or Tumbrllo as Mark @ Optimized calls it. It was ordered through Optimized cycling solutions after a fit trip to Spectrum. It is closely based on my custom TI built by Mike DeSalvo with some minor adjustments.
At age 52 I am not A spring chicken any longer and know what I like and need in a bike.
I just finished getting this one together and still need to have the fork cut down.
I got this built for long solo rides in the Grand Fundo style with a longer HT and sloping TT.
It is 2015 Campy Chorus with SR brakes,50/34 mid crankset,3T ARX Team 110mm stem,Zipp SL bars,HED Stinger 5 wheels and veloflex arnburg tubulars. I also have a set of HED alloy clinchers if I want to go that route.
I only have one short ride as there is salt all over the road. I still need to fine tune my position but it is close now.
The frame is a 56cm effective TT,49cm St, 17cm HT,990mm WB and a 4.5 fork rake.
The frame weight is 978gr and the fork is 385 uncut. My battery on my scale is dead but I will get a weight soon. It should be in the 15lbs range. The Stingers came in at 1378gr.

Last edited by skiezo on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

plasticol

by plasticol

Nice bike, but externally routed cables? really? That is the only hing that I do not like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

External cables = easier maintenance, less hassles, no possibility of rattling sounds on rough roads.
They're fine. Get over it.

Nice bike, OP, happy riding.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

External cables FTW unless you're riding cyclocross.

Lighter, less friction, less faffing about. Aesthetically that might be less attractive, but it's in the eye of the beholder.

Cannondale continue to use external cables on their top-end bikes, and they're sexy as f**k

reedplayer

by reedplayer

nice frame und build. no problem with external cables, au contraire. internal cables is imo a redundant fashion, at least with roadbikes.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am a big fan of external cables too. Nice bike.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'll take internal routing as long as it doesn't interfere with function in any way whatsoever. That usually means avoiding internally routed handlebars which are most often the offenders when it comes to friction problems. I have actually bypassed the internal routing of handlebars even when they are there because it compromised shifting. Also any frames where the derailleur cables have to enter the top tube behind the stem then bend around into the DownTube before heading towards the bottom bracket area are asking for bad shifting, at least for mechanical systems. Doesn't really matter if you're using electric shifting however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dynamo00

by Dynamo00

Very nice bike from Mark @Optimized Cycling!

skiezo

by skiezo

Thanks all. We talked about the cable routing and since I am a mech guy it was agreed that external would be the way to go. Not a big deal to me. Most of the bikes I have had in the past years have been the same. My main concern is ease of maint. and ride quality. At my age Im the only one I need to impress.
I am very impressed with the built quality of the frame. We were discussing tube options vs type of riding I do and this seemed like the best of both worlds as far as weight vs tube diameter and the fragility of the stiffer tubes. Got a 2 day/150 mile charity ride in May so we will be my test of the bike.
With only a few shorts rides so far it seems to soak up alot of the road with out giving up BB or rear stiffness. The tapered HT and fork are super stiff and come into and out of corners with no chatter. The rides have been on a set of built HED belgiums tubulars with veloflex's 23f/25R. Not ride the Stingers yet.
Optimized was great to deal with as well. Mark is a wealth of knowledge and is just a pure joy to deal with.
Im getting some vinyl Sarto letters made for the DT and will keep the ST letters the same.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

That's very nice. Well done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Sarto manufactures some of the best frames coming out of Italy.