What is brighter than the sun and faster than the light?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Joy's of early adoption. Yesterday i started converting my bike to ETAP.

The DI2 pulled out fairly easily. The M9 frame makes it super simple to work with cabling wise and even though i was expecting the cables to get stuck within the handlebars it all came out super simple. I left the brake cable outer inside the frame and just fed a new brake cable inner through it. It was all too easy. Trek, thank you for running full length brake cable outers within the frame. Smartest decision ever. So within 15-20 minutes i had the DI2 out and new brake inner cables fed through the frame all ready to go. Not as daunting as you would think to work on the frame.

Where the trouble started (and there are always some sort of trouble) is in the new crank setup. If you are are using a new gen Quarq Dzero crankset and are installing rotor Qarbon rings, know that you will run into some issues. My setup is the compact 110bcd setup but it was clear that you couldnt slide the chainring over the crank arm and seat the chainring normally. You have to removal the spider off the quarq crankset and install the chainrings that way. Of course i stripped one of those bolt. Further to this, there seems to be a slight bump near the battery compartment on the Dzero which interferes with chainrings like the Qarbon. This might be just the compact 110bcd setup but there was no way to mount the chainring on without some slight bit of dremel work. Be warned if you decide to run this setup. Any of the other chainrings will work fine such as absolute black or sram's own red specific chainrings and for those you dont need to remove the spider too.

Etap groupset seems cool. A lot of little details which i like. Ceramic pulley wheels, titanium hardware throughout and some idiosyncrasies such as different sized bolts used for FD and RD mount. Ergo seem's good. Reach has option for super close which is great for people with smaller hands. The hoods feel a little fatter though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sure it wasn't just passion fingers ;)
Using Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

Do you know how much weight you lost swapping the groupsets?

jdc5r

by jdc5r

prebsy wrote:Do you know how much weight you lost swapping the groupsets?

Not that much apparently. Maybe around 100g? i was honestly surprised. I expected more.

Provided that i was on sram cassette already but still.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Yup,

I love it - the bike is the best art piece resting against the wall. :wink:

Hope you like the eTap as much as I do, simply love the feeling on the hoods.

Cilia3030

by Cilia3030

jdc5r wrote:Joy's of early adoption. Yesterday i started converting my bike to ETAP.

The DI2 pulled out fairly easily. The M9 frame makes it super simple to work with cabling wise and even though i was expecting the cables to get stuck within the handlebars it all came out super simple. I left the brake cable outer inside the frame and just fed a new brake cable inner through it. It was all too easy. Trek, thank you for running full length brake cable outers within the frame. Smartest decision ever. So within 15-20 minutes i had the DI2 out and new brake inner cables fed through the frame all ready to go. Not as daunting as you would think to work on the frame.

Where the trouble started (and there are always some sort of trouble) is in the new crank setup. If you are are using a new gen Quarq Dzero crankset and are installing rotor Qarbon rings, know that you will run into some issues. My setup is the compact 110bcd setup but it was clear that you couldnt slide the chainring over the crank arm and seat the chainring normally. You have to removal the spider off the quarq crankset and install the chainrings that way. Of course i stripped one of those bolt. Further to this, there seems to be a slight bump near the battery compartment on the Dzero which interferes with chainrings like the Qarbon. This might be just the compact 110bcd setup but there was no way to mount the chainring on without some slight bit of dremel work. Be warned if you decide to run this setup. Any of the other chainrings will work fine such as absolute black or sram's own red specific chainrings and for those you dont need to remove the spider too.

Etap groupset seems cool. A lot of little details which i like. Ceramic pulley wheels, titanium hardware throughout and some idiosyncrasies such as different sized bolts used for FD and RD mount. Ergo seem's good. Reach has option for super close which is great for people with smaller hands. The hoods feel a little fatter though.

Cilia3030

by Cilia3030

I am interested to find out what your experience has been with running etap and the q-rings. I ran them a while back using SRAM RED 22 Mech and had some issues with chain such and chain rub. Now that I am running etap and BCD 110 RED Cranks I was thinking of giving them another go. However I was advised by ROTOR ato use the OCP3 Qring as I am running a SRAM BCD 110 due to the clearance between the crank arm and the large chain ring. I would be appreciative if you could share your experience to date and whether you have had any of the issues I experienced using the Mech type.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Cilia3030 wrote:I am interested to find out what your experience has been with running etap and the q-rings. I ran them a while back using SRAM RED 22 Mech and had some issues with chain such and chain rub. Now that I am running etap and BCD 110 RED Cranks I was thinking of giving them another go. However I was advised by ROTOR ato use the OCP3 Qring as I am running a SRAM BCD 110 due to the clearance between the crank arm and the large chain ring. I would be appreciative if you could share your experience to date and whether you have had any of the issues I experienced using the Mech type.

I dont think rotor had intended for the qarbon ring to work with the dzero crankset but i made it work anyways.

No chain rubbing issues and drivetrain is very quiet. Shifts are actually very good so far but today i ran into my first shift issue. Shifting front and back together caused the chain up front to somehow jump and overshift and fall off on the outside. Shifting back to small ring brought it back in. I am sure it doesnt shift like dura-ace rings but i will tune the fd a little more and see how i go with more riding.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

PinaRene wrote:Yup,

I love it - the bike is the best art piece resting against the wall. :wink:

Hope you like the eTap as much as I do, simply love the feeling on the hoods.

So far so good! The etap hoods feel fatter to grip vs shimano's.

dpkinard

by dpkinard

This bike is beautiful

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Awesome bike man.. still kind of regret not going down the route of getting a M9 but I think my wallet would have ran away from me and never to return. Instead, went with a C60 with etap and while the hoods look a bit unorthodox, its not a bad feel at all. Just paired an Edge 520 with the etap so will be looking forward to how it does.

Amongst the sea of good feedback regarding the Etap, I did notice one caveat and that is the battery, mostly the rear, needs far more frequent charging than my previous Di2..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

slowK

by slowK

Hey jdc5r,

I think I drove past your bike (I presume that you were the one riding it) this morning, heading south on Anzac Parade (just south of Alison Rd) around 9am.

I gave you a wide berth (mainly so I could ogle your bike) and you waved in acknowledgement.

Stunning bike. Could see you from a half a kilometre away.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

jimaizumi wrote:Awesome bike man.. still kind of regret not going down the route of getting a M9 but I think my wallet would have ran away from me and never to return. Instead, went with a C60 with etap and while the hoods look a bit unorthodox, its not a bad feel at all. Just paired an Edge 520 with the etap so will be looking forward to how it does.

Amongst the sea of good feedback regarding the Etap, I did notice one caveat and that is the battery, mostly the rear, needs far more frequent charging than my previous Di2..

I just added the "gear battery" on Garmin so monitoring it very carefully. Hopefully it isnt too annoying.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

slowK wrote:Hey jdc5r,

I think I drove past your bike (I presume that you were the one riding it) this morning, heading south on Anzac Parade (just south of Alison Rd) around 9am.

I gave you a wide berth (mainly so I could ogle your bike) and you waved in acknowledgement.

Stunning bike. Could see you from a half a kilometre away.

I knew you drove like a cyclist! Thank you for giving me space and thanks for the kind comments. Works out well that the paint has the secondary function of letting people know where i am. :D

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Better picture of the new grouppo on the bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com