What is brighter than the sun and faster than the light?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MRM

by MRM

Def need new pics with the 404's!

edit: Oh, and give us your thoughts on the 404 NSW's when you have ridden them a bit. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

jdc5r wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
I sure was. I was one of the OG's on that board. I actually photographed Chris' race car.

i remember that shot, it was on the banner! Man that takes me back. For some reason when i think of OG Crsx i think of CLA and the rep system lol

tbrix wrote:What an incredible bike. You've done the unthinkable; made me want a Trek.

Thanks! i never actually thought about Trek's prior to this frame as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Time to focus on the little details and tinker as all weightweenies do.

Forgot to mention i installed a Fabric scoop flat saddle (carbon rail version) as well. The saddle comes in fairly heavy at close to 190g but there is a fairly thick layer of padding. The saddle is comfortable interms of the flex you get with it. However, i am undecided about how it feels so far in terms of shape. More KM's will tell.

Got some Carbon Ti bolts in the correct length and also some orange washers.

I would suggest using the washers underneath the bolt heads, rather than in between the cage and the frame (as long as they fit without raising the bolt heads enough so that they interfere with the bottles as you take them in and out of the cages). I have seen a good amount of individuals using non Arundel spec bolts (they have a button head with a pretty large radius) that over torque the bolts and they end up damaging the carbon on the cages. Sometimes the bolts will actually pull through the holes on the cage.

But if Trek recommend you use washers in between the cages and the frame, then do that (as well as under the bolt heads).

jdc5r

by jdc5r

hornedfrog wrote:I would suggest using the washers underneath the bolt heads, rather than in between the cage and the frame (as long as they fit without raising the bolt heads enough so that they interfere with the bottles as you take them in and out of the cages). I have seen a good amount of individuals using non Arundel spec bolts (they have a button head with a pretty large radius) that over torque the bolts and they end up damaging the carbon on the cages. Sometimes the bolts will actually pull through the holes on the cage.

But if Trek recommend you use washers in between the cages and the frame, then do that (as well as under the bolt heads).

Ahh yes, especially since i decided to go with aftermarket bolts. I kinda just put the washers there to prevent the cages rubbing against the frame. Trek doesn't specify for washers under the cages (afaik). I have some other washers that i will fit on shortly.

Here is the most current iteration. Keen to see how the wheels differ from the Bora's.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... admit to feeling a little bit sad when I saw you were getting the Zipps, but thought they're probably a more appropriate wheelset for this build just because they're a little deeper at 58mm. But now that I see this pic I'm not sure I don't like the looks of the Boras more. We need another pic of the bike with the Zipps out on the pier to compare with your previous one with the Boras. Just going on looks here for the moment. Doesn't bother me a bit that you've got a basically all Shimano group and Campy wheels. They just seemed to look so right on this bike.
But regardless... how do the two compare? Which do you like the most on that bike? Those tires look super fat on those wide rims, they must be 25's? I'm not at all convinced that 23's aren't inherently faster tires at the appropriate pressures than 25's. More comfy, yes. More stable, yes. But to me, 23's with less rubber on the road, seem faster, always have... despite what the rolling resistance "tests" say. It just makes inherent sense to me and I've heard and studied all the reasoning with the "bouncing" effect on rough roads with skinny high pressure tires. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother thread I'm sure. Looking forward to what your real life experience is like with the two wheels.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Funny you mention that. I kinda miss the aesthetics of the Bora's a little too. Maybe it is the G3 spoke lacing patterns?

Wet weekend = no ride

I am going for a ride tonight though but will reserve comments until i get a good feel for the wheels.

MRM

by MRM

I totally get Calnago. The Bora's looked surprisingly good, but the 404 NSW's look considerably better imho.

Question is though if they feel better riding. Zipp gets very little love here, so question is if the NSW hubs have finally solved that Achilles Heel for Zipp wheels.

junchen

by junchen

mimason wrote:I fully support your decision on running Bora wheels and Shimano. Ride what you like, not the names on the badge, especially since there are no wheels at that calibre at that price....none.

BTW, a local rider has this bike in white and it looks amazing. I am not typically a Trek fan but this is the bike I would buy right now.

I think the fulcrum racing speed xlr can be found at that price... That said, I also paired my di2 with bora ones.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

jdc5r wrote:

Yup.... that's the pic that was blowing up instagram. Looks sick. I'm not a huge fan of Zipp wheels, but those looks nice on that bike.

Skylark

by Skylark

It's basically like a car.

MRM

by MRM

I dub thou "Solar Flare Madone". Made of pure awesomesauce!

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Calnago wrote:Hmmm... admit to feeling a little bit sad when I saw you were getting the Zipps, but thought they're probably a more appropriate wheelset for this build just because they're a little deeper at 58mm. But now that I see this pic.........with the "bouncing" effect on rough roads with skinny high pressure tires. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother thread I'm sure. Looking forward to what your real life experience is like with the two wheels.

your wish is my command :)

Zipp 404 NSW rides good. They feel fast but as per expected, i couldn't gauge the 30% less crosswind or whether the new hubset made any difference. Most notable aspect is probably the fact that they are even wider still vs the bora's and have changed the profile of the tyres shod on them. Because of this, it feels even more cushioned.

The bike is settling in now as my primary bike and i am fine tuning my fit down to the cleat positions on the shoes. It seems like the GEO has changed from my last two bikes maybe more so than i envisioned and i need to play around a little more with position on the bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

jdc5r wrote:Image

Ok... so what's the verdict then? Boras or Zipps?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fa63

by fa63

Sweet baby Jesus that bike looks good.

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

jdc5r wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:This is a TREK I like! Beautiful paint job. Could you post a picture of the head tube?

Pic of HT :)

My poor iphone sensor has no chance and the image is so overblown lol

From where the stack measurement is taken ? From the top of headset bearing or from the headset top cap?

Sick bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Bora's.....