CAAD 3 - The return

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

thebuny

by thebuny

That feeling when you have a new build (my steel bike) after finish as one would imagine, you admire it and realize that you have it just like your imagination and don't need any more bicycle.....is so wrong!!!

My first "real" road bike was a project I start from zero, just with a brand new never used and abandoned at some shop garage cannondale CAAD 3 frame. It had several changes till it was near my dream and possibilities

After this picture it just add a easton ec 90 slx  fork.
Few weeks after the fork was installed a CAAD 8 frame appeared and I decided to sell the CAAD 3.

Of course that 5 minutes after shipping I was more that regretted to sell it...

Few weeks ago a friend told me that what appears to be my frameset was for sale again. Fast check on the photos and yes it was mine!!!

Phone call to the seller and on the next day I was traveling 200 km to buying it back again.
This time it cames as a full bicycle with a mix Campagnolo several models 9 speed transmission, brand new miche wheels and some deda components.

All components will go for a bicycle to my dad :)

Back to the framset and to this build, fast check and first idea was to have "all US" components. Cannondale, easton and Sram Red (10 spd).

The list so far:

Frame: CAAD3
Fork: Easton ec90 slx 1"
Levers: Sram red black 10
Derailleurs: Sram red Black 10
Wheels: Easton ec 90 slx tubulars
Handlebar: Easton ec 70 SL3
Seatpost: cannondale competition (old one)

The weird part.... Just had here not used a Campagnolo Super record ti crankset and brand new Tune 53/39 chainrings and a a pair of Campagnolo Record brakes. I know that they don't belong here just they are amazing components and why buy for now some replacement if I have this already here??? I believe that the crankset without letters should stay really good....

Cassette will be something 11-28 just the sram red is rare to find in this configuration new and they are so expensive compared to a sram force 1070 or an ultegra one...like this maybe it could be a frankenbike...

Rest of the components are still unknow....

Sugestions are welcome!

ill principe

by ill principe

Nice story! How about sourcing contemporary parts (NOS or used) and build it late 90:s retro?
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebuny

by thebuny

ill principe wrote:Nice story! How about sourcing contemporary parts (NOS or used) and build it late 90:s retro?

Could be an option but I think like this I'll enjoy it more.
To be spot on a red wireless groupset, cut the cable passes and custom paint (just with less cannondale logos...)

KC

by KC

They used DuPont Imron paint on that frame. It will be tough to strip the logos off. Great frame. I have a yellow one as well and also using sram red 10 speed. I went with 10 on all my bikes so in can swap wheels around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thebuny

by thebuny

@KC, I always like your caad bike! What is the weight of it?

This one as it cames to me this time has 8.85 Kg. Rebuilding almost from zero lets see what will came out...my first number will be 6.8 but not shore...

KC

by KC

This bike is under 15lbs with those wheels and tires. Frame is around 1350 grams and the fork is 340. The crank is an FSA with the titanium spindle. I have two of those cranks and they are super rare. I have had this bike for years and years and the paint is amazing even up close. I did buy a bottle of "SpeedYellow" touch up paint and would put a dab of paint over any nick and then buffed it down after it dried. Can't tell it from new. SRAM red yellow brakes. Smooth riding bike. One of my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thebuny

by thebuny

Just missing chain/cranks, cables and bar tape.

Looking good

thebuny

by thebuny

Almost done!

6.98 Kg as it is in the photo.
Lighter brakes and seatpost and 6.8 is possible.

biky

by biky

cool but mixin campa with Sram?
Tarmac SL2
Epic 2009

thebuny

by thebuny

it can sound weird but that crankset was here doing nothing. Could not find some red at a good price so went there :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com