Kinesis Tripster ATR build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tnkn

by tnkn

So… following on from my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=135820) about an allrounder type bike, I ended up building a bike rather than buying complete. Much more fun!

I went for a Kinesis Tripster ATR frameset with Ultegra Hyrdo groupset, Sumo Ti seatpost and a bit of Deda thrown in. The wheels are Kinesis CX Disc which seem great so far.

The bike is excellent. No regrets going down this route at all. I've only done 200 miles on it but the bike is comfortable, handles well and looks great.

I got another set of disc wheels with CX tyres for days out in the mud. The Hyrdo brakes work flawlessly, especially in the wet.

Very happy with the build and suits it's intended purpose brilliantly. It is my winter bike so having full mudguards makes riding in rubbish conditions much easier.

Weight with 28mm tyres and full mudguards comes in at 9.5kg. Without mudguards 8.9kg.

Here's some pics:

Here's a list of components are their weights in grams. Weighed by myself on a set of Park Tools scales.

Kinesis fork (uncut) - 498
    Kinesis ti seat clamp - 19
    Kinesis Tripster ATR Ti frame - 1,532
    Steerer bung - 46
    FSA headset - 82
    Ultegra 52-36 chainset - 709
    Ultegra BB - 75
    Ultra chain - 266
    Ultegra front derailleur - 87
    Ultegra 11-32 cassette - 284
    Ultegra rear derailleur - 210
    Ultegra hydro shifters - pair - 646
    Ultegra disc calipers - pair - 234
    Kinesis CX rear wheel - 897
    Kinesis CX front wheel - 730
    Kinesis skewers - pair - 109
    Shimano XT Disc Rotor Ice Tec RT86 - pair - 258
    Fizik Superlight Classic Bar Tape - 81
    Deda Elementi Zero100 Road Handlebar - 258
    Deda Elementi Zero100 Performance Stem - 123
    Continental Grand Prix 4000S II - pair - 535
    Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow Saddle - 253
    Front Mech Band on Clamp - 26
    Conti 25-32 Inner tubes - 273
    Sumo Ti Seatpost - 226
    Speedplay Zero Pedals - 225
    Ti Bottle Cage - 26
    Cables & bits - 200

Total - 8,908

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Subira

by Subira

Very Nice!
I have the Kinesis GF Ti V2 and it's a great do everything bike. A titanium frame is perfect, a bit of WD-40 after washing it down always brings it up like new.
Been toying with swapping my GF for a Tripster, as I have plenty of disc wheels to play with now. But I have two good cross bikes already and just can't justify the cost to change.
If I had to reduce my collection down to one bike, this would be the bike I would choose!

tnkn

by tnkn

Thanks for the comments. Sorry, by custom I meant built up by myself rather than the frame being custom.

Devon

by Devon

Juanmoretime wrote:Very nice. Any reason since its a custom not to go all top tube routing for hoses and cables?

Internal? Even given the option, why would you for an all-rounder? Something I would personally avoid from a maintenance perspective on anything other than a full-spec race bike.

Note: I'm taking the term all-rounder to mean winter bike.

2oldnslow

by 2oldnslow

Nice build I've something similar if a little less "All Terrain" based on a Sabbath September frame-set and Whiskey Parts fork"

Quick question I've also got the Sumo seat post albeit branded as a September item do you have any problems with it slipping ?

tnkn

by tnkn

Cheers 2oldnslow, I've not notice any slippage yet. I've got a sumo on my Lynskey which has seen a lot more use. No slippage there either, though that's a 27.2 and the Kinesis is 31.6.

I've just got some park tools anti seize compound so will see if that changes things when I get round to it.

2oldnslow

by 2oldnslow

Hi tnkn and thanks for that not ridden a lot on the sumo of late since I had a few "slippage" problems and applied a little carbon paste so fingers crossed :) Lovely looking piece of kit though I'd be loath to replace it.

Subira

by Subira

I had seat post slip on the GF, this is with the carbon post and the Kinesis Ti clamp. Replaced it with a Hope clamp, still the same. Went for the Salsa clamp in the end - 18 months not moved a millimetre.

2oldnslow

by 2oldnslow

Thanks that's good to hear :)

Devon

by Devon

Interesting regarding post slippage. I was planning to put the Kinesis clamp on my Aithein, but may keep my flawless ebay one if it's an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

A Tripster love-in on WW, too?

This was mine doing the South Downs Way last Sept.

Absolutely love it.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC