TCR Advanced Pro 1 tad small?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

simacu

by simacu

So I just bought a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1. Tried M and M/L in the shop and my immediate reaction to the M/L was this is huge.

Tried the M and that seemed good so went ahead and ordered it.

My height is 5 ft 11 (180 cm) and inseam of 85 cm.

When i took it home, I started to have doubts about the size. I friend said it was fine so i rode it anyway thus voiding any chance of taking it back.

Basically i think it feels fine, but in the photo below, i thought i looked rather big on it - perhaps this is just because of the compact geometry.

https://goo.gl/photos/QUmdQtx8NvjGyhPGA

Thoughts?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Looks fine to me - you are right: the compact geometry makes the bikes look small. If you're coming from a horizontal top tube bike the Giant will look much smaller for the same size.

If you're comfortable I'd leave it - aesthetically I think it looks fine.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simacu

by simacu

Thanks for your reply, that's reassuring to hear. Was thinking to change to a 110cm or 120cm stem, but difficult to know without a few more miles on it first.

Perhaps it was on the hoods where i thought it looked kinda small...am I OCD?

https://goo.gl/photos/YiqkiY6KxRwrrRxK9

AJS914

by AJS914

Looks fine to me too. The difference in reach between the M and the ML is only .5cm. You can easily make that up with a longer stem or longer reach bars.

KTCY

by KTCY

looks okayy... what's the height from Saddle to BB ?

simacu

by simacu

saddle to BB is 76cm

Ozrider

by Ozrider

What bike were you riding before this? How do the measurements compare?
Surely a bike shop would help set you up correctly on a bike based on some basic measurements and comparing to the size of your previous bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

simacu

by simacu

Before this I had a colango clx which i think was a 54s. It was given to me to i just used it with a 120mm stem. That was perfect for me which is why a guess i leaned to the M and not the M/L.

I auctioned that bike before i got the new one. Wanted to get rid of it while the weather was good

AJS914

by AJS914

A CLX 54S and your current bike have about the same exact reach. I think it's just the optical illusion of a severely sloping top tube. With a larger frame you would mostly be gaining more stack height.

physeter

by physeter

I agree; for me it looks fine. I'm a bit taller than you (183cm) and my current frame is a 55,5cm top tube as well (120 stem)

I have to say that I prefer frames on the small side, but nothing wrong for me in your pictures ( as commented above sloping top tube makes the bike look smaller)

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Bike looks great :beerchug:

I'm after one of these myself (in size Small).

Marin

by Marin

Looks fine. A slightly longer stem or a tad more saddle setback to open up the upper arm angle maybe?

kgt

by kgt

The frame looks small but it is the right size IMHO. An M/L (57cm TT) is too big for a 180cm rider.

eightace

by eightace

It looks spot on. Far better with a bit of seat pin and stem showing than get a frame that is too big.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

simacu wrote:Perhaps it was on the hoods where i thought it looked kinda small...am I OCD?

Still 'looks' fine on the hoods.

And as people have said above you're not getting that much more reach on a M/L - just more stack height. Since you're not running a tower full of spacers I assume you're happy with the stack of the M. Change to a 120mm/110mm stem if you feel too cramped.

Oh and since this is weightweenies, weight?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)