TCR Advanced Pro 1 tad small?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Marin wrote:Looks fine. A slightly longer stem or a tad more saddle setback to open up the upper arm angle maybe?

oh my, never change saddle setback to change front end reach!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clannagh

by Clannagh

That looks fine to me to, maybe extend the stem 10mm or so if your unsure.

simacu

by simacu

Great to hear guys. I guess I can stop flapping now and just get on with it - think I will go for the 110mm stem as advised to open my arms up a little though. Don't really want to put the saddle back any more as it will look like I ready to bob a wheelie!

I originally ordered a canyon, this to be exact:

https://www.canyon.com/en-jp/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-aero.html

But they're having trouble with a new factory and SAP system so even after 7 weeks they still couldn't give me a date for shipping. Canyon's smart fitting website also put me at a medium and that has almost the same dimensions as the M size TCR - I guess they fit bikes in a more competitive fit.

Glad to have the Giant though, new model vs 2 yr old frame with good, but slightly old fashioned aero rims

Cheers chaps

mimason

by mimason

We are the same height and my B/rain bike is a ML, -10 110stem slammed. You have longer legs but I either have more torso or neck. I think you would look better on the ML but the M looks to fit you fine. Im in the 120 stem camp as I think that is the sweet spot for handling, looks and feel. I can't ride my ML with a 120 unless I go to a bar with less reach. The M would allow for the 120 to work but you get a lot of toe overlap. Not a big deal but I like to do track stands :) If I were to purchase another TCR I would get a Medium as well and fit long an low.

You look aero in the drops but like others said you probably could stretch out a bit. Maybe before you go longer in the stem, lower it.

simacu

by simacu

Sounds like a good idea to try lower. Need to give my back time to adjust to road riding again though as for the last 8 weeks I've been riding a mountain bike due to waiting on Canyon. Then probably change the stem cos if i don't I'll never stop wondering.

I also like to do track stands but probably suck at it compared to someone with a decent sense of balance

fogman

by fogman

It does look like you could use a slightly longer stem to me. Object is to try to get your arms at a 90 degree angle to your torso with elbows slightly bent. You should consult your bike fitter to be certain.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

simacu

by simacu

Patience is a virtue, unfortunately I don't have a lot. With that, went ahead and bought a used FSA 120mm stem for about $30 or ¥2950 in my local currency. Should be here tomorrow or the day after, so cheap way to see if there is an improvement. If not: For Sale, FSA Reparto Corse 120mm stem

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Looks just right.

mimason

by mimason

simacu wrote:Patience is a virtue, unfortunately I don't have a lot. With that, went ahead and bought a used FSA 120mm stem for about $30 or ¥2950 in my local currency. Should be here tomorrow or the day after, so cheap way to see if there is an improvement. If not: For Sale, FSA Reparto Corse 120mm stem

You need a 1 1/4" stem not 1 1/8".

Just see if you can lower the existing stem before you pull the trigger on anything else. Be patient :)

simacu

by simacu

Noticed that important point 5 minutes after I ordered. Managed to cancel in time.

For the moment, i think i want to go longer before i go lower. Seat is raked back quite a bit so want to slide that a little forward which makes 120mm sound like my best option. Will order from LBS and if too long will change to 110mm. Arse-about-face way of doing it of course :)

simacu

by simacu

Does Ape Index have anything to do with saddle to bar drop ?

I just measured my arm spam. Height 180.5 cm Arm span 189 cm. + 8.5. Pretty apeish. Bit hairy too so guess that puts me even closer to our jungle-dwelling cousins ;)

Better try whipping out a few spacers as suggested

fogman

by fogman

Yes, ape index does factor into handlebar drop.

I read somewhere that a good approximation of saddle-handlebar drop should be 11% of your bottom bracket-saddle height. Other factors include hip flexion and arm length.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

jeffy

by jeffy

clx
(54S) stack 582 reach 385

TCR2016
M stack 54.5 reach 38.3
M/L stack 56.7 reach 39.8

M/L is quite a lot longer. CLX is 37mm higher than the Medium TCR

For your height then a Medium is good. Looks fine, and as said before better to make a smaller bike bigger than vice versa.
Position/sizing is fine, it all depends how comfortable for how long you will be in the new lower position aka bikefit

Delorre

by Delorre

jeffy wrote:clx
(54S) stack 582 reach 385

TCR2016
M stack 54.5 reach 38.3
M/L stack 56.7 reach 39.8

where do you get those Giant figures from? :shock:

Should be : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl-be/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.sl.ff/25378/91428/#geometry

M stack 55,2 reach 38,6
M/L stack 56,6 reach 39,1

Personally, a M/L seems more appropriate for him. No more spacers and a 110mm stem. M looks a tad small to me, but nothing wrong at all. Pro's tend to ride their bikes 1 size 'to small' also :wink:

simacu

by simacu

Actually, it was a 52s, my mistake. Here is a picture of it that took before selling. Post down for photo.

https://goo.gl/photos/ouLqDmwWf1evif1B7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com