Trek Emonda SL

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

moonoi

by moonoi

Hi All

Been lurking a long time, but thought I join and share my latest build.

Just built up my new bike, picked it up from my LBS this afternoon. It's a size 60 Emonda SL weighs in at 7.36 Kg with the following configuration

Emonda SL Frameset size 60
Reynolds Asssault SLG Wheelset
Complete Mechanical Duraace 9000 groupset
Bontrager RXL stem
Bontrager RXL IsoZone VR-CF 44cm bars
Prologo Nago Evo Nack saddle
Zipp Alumina cages x2
Bontrager R3 25mm tyres
Bontrager Supertack bartape

Looking for ideas where I can get it under 7Kg whilst still maintaining durability as I'm weighing in at 109Kg (although hope to be around 90-95 over the next 3-4 months)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

How do you find the wheels? Are they clinchers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

Yes, clinchers. Been great, done around 2800km on them so far without issue, took them off my old Giant TCR Advanced SL.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I'm such a fan of mechanical Dura Ace!! Would love to upgrade and put it on my Supersix

F45

by F45

Are you sure your scale is accurate? My cx bike with 6800 and carbon clinchers weighs less than that.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'll check again when I get home, I weighed it at the LBS and I assume that it was calibrated correctly

Ozrider

by Ozrider

That's about right for a 60cm SL frame. The SLR would be quite a bit lighter. Similar weight to my 60cm Madone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

A very lovely bike! The frame is huge.

Off topic here, are you from Thailand?

moonoi

by moonoi

Originally no, but been living in Bangkok almost 12 years now

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'll be honest with you, it's going to be hard to hit the <7kg goal, without making some serious compromises. Like OZRider, I've got a 60cm Madone 5 (mine is very similarly setup to yours). Here are the changes you can make to try to hit the goal.

Wheels & Tires: go with a lighter rim. If you want to stay in the Bontrager family, go with a set of RXL's with 23c tires. 25c will be heavier, and the carbon aero wheels on there now are about 125g heavier than the RXL's. That's not to say you can't find something lighter than the RXL's, but it's just for reference. If you switch to tubular, you'll lose a lot more weight!

Frame/Fork: cut down the steerer tube. That's free weight savings between the steerer and the spacers.

Handlebar: RXL IsoSpeed is nice (I have one, as well). That being said, it isn't light. Look for a lighter bar.

Pedals: I can't really tell from the photo what pedals you have, but they should be carbon bodied. If you're using the older Shimano pedals, that's 100g saved, depending on what model you have and which one you're going to use.

Seatpost: You can lose about 9g with the SLR seatpost, but the real weight savings are found with the SLR saddle clamp (the red one).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I built up my Emonda 60cm SL to under 6.8kg without using crazy exotic lightweight stuff, so no compromises as far as durability or strength is concerned. Alloy bars/stem etc., Dura-Ace pedals... that kind of thing. No uberlight stuff. Just high quality stuff that works. That did include some Bora Ultra 35's however. You can click on the link in my signature for details. This is a really nice frame. I use it for my winter weather steed these days, with full fenders etc. Really like it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

moonoi

by moonoi

The pedals are Duraace 9000. I haven't cut the steerer yet, as I want to be sure everything is in the right place first.

I'll take a look at the SLR mast/clamp. I did switch the wheels out for my Giant P-SLR1 wheelset just to see, that brought it down to 7.1Kg running Hutchinson Galaktic tubeless 23mm with sealant.

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

I have to agree with FIJIGabe, it's difficult to hit under 7kg mark without making any huge and expensive changes to the bike.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'm planning on switching out the stem for the Bontrager XXX carbon stem. Not so much for weight savings, although that would be a benefit, but I'd like to slam the stem and get the position closer to my old TCR, the current RXL stem requires a 5mm spacer above and below the stem for correct installation.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You won't get much in the way of weight savings, at a big outlay of money for the stem. You're better off spending the money elsewhere, or getting a lighter stem than the XXX.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com