Cervelo R3 2015 - updated with weight 13.9lbs, 6.3kgs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

solarider

by solarider

Having moved all of my bikes over to electronic shifting and disc brakes, I fancied something 'old school' - lightweight, mechanical, simple.

I chose the R3 because it has perfect geometry for me, it is tried and tested, and I like the gloss black of the 2015 model.The R3 is plenty light and rides the same as the R5 but is a little more robust/less delicate.

The bbinifinite is a great solution (possibly to a problem that shouldn't exist, but let's not discuss that here!).

For some reason you don't see many Campagnolo equipped Cervelos, but this one went together a treat. The new shifting performance is a big leap forward from the last iteration. Front shifting in particular is a revelation, and the 3-click shifter is well thought through. I wasn't sure when I was setting everything up, but on the road it really works well.

Loving the Obermayers. It was quite windy today and I didn't suffer at all. Braking is good, but I have got used to discs now, which I can conclude are superior in terms of stopping power and modulation. I have owned a few pairs of Lightweights, and these are keepers! Finally the truing, dishing and parallel brake surface are spot on. Absolutely no lateral wobble at all. My previous pairs have been sadly lacking in this respect and it used to be something that you had to accept with Lightweights, but these are perfect. Not sure if I got lucky, if they invest more time in the Obermayers, or if they have finally mastered building them, but whatever the reason, I am very pleased with my purchase (thanks Micky!).

The ride is lovely. Not a revelation, but comfortable, stiff and light. The spacers above the top cap will go once I have the position dialled in.

The weight of 6.3kgs includes pedals, Garmin mount, Garmin cadence sensor and bottle cages. Really pleased with that given the sensible but quality build. Steel spindles on the pedals, K'ium rails on the saddle rather than carbon etc.

Frame - Cervelo R3 (58cm)
Fork - Cervelo R3
Headset - FSA IS2
Chainset - Campagnolo Super Record Ti (175mm, 50 / 34t)
Bottom Bracket - BBInfinite BBRight Ultra Torque
Pedals - Look Keo Carbon CroMo
Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record
Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record
Shifters - Campagnolo Super Record
Brakes - Campagnolo Super Record Differential
Chain - KMC X-11 SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Super Record (12 / 25)
Hubs - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer
Rims - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer
Spokes - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer
Quick Release - Lightweight Carbon
Tyres - Continental Competition (25mm)
Stem - Tune Geiles Teil 4.0 OS (120mm)
Bars - Fizik Cyrano R1 Bull (420mm)
Seatpost - Tune Starkes
Saddle - Fizik Arione CX
Bottle Cages - Campagnolo Record
Grip - Fizik 2mm

Last edited by solarider on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Looks fantastic! I think you have a great build there. Looking forward to seeing the weight.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Let me know if you run into any trouble with tire clearance at the front brake. Mine is pretty tight in that area.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

solarider

by solarider

Plenty of room on mine. Not CX clearance obviously, but enough. The rims are 20mm wide which helps, although the 25mm tubs would be the same width on any rim I guess, so no problem.

I think that the previous generation Cervelos did have a problem, but this newer generation with the internal routing seems to have addressed that.

I do like Campagnolo skeleton brakes but they are an old design and have probably been ready for an update for a few years now. I guess Campagnolo might be busy developing discs rather than next gen rim brakes.......

solarider

by solarider

Now updated with weights. Happy with that given the sensible build and size of the bike.

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I agree, nice weight. I think you have some great parts on there. You could probably drop 50g with a lighter arione. I have a cx carbon with carbon rails (163g) and a 00 (147g) on my bikes.

sawyer

by sawyer

Great build ... a no-nonsense machine

I'd match bars and stem always, but like it all the same

How do you find the 25mm Contis?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

solarider

by solarider

I like the Contis. Not as supple as a Veloflex, but tough, nice to ride, straight and robust.

Arione 00 is next on the list.

I usually prefer to match stem and bars, but I like the Tune stem, and they don't make bars. I don't like the way that the Fizik stem has one side where the decals are upside down, and it really is nothing special in terms of weight or stiffness.

With a few more miles under my belt, I have a few observations.

1) Light wheels make a huge difference.

2) Disc braking is without a doubt superior to rim braking even in dry conditions. It just is!

3) One high end bike rides very much like another these days. Stiff here, comfortable there, aerodynamic somewhere else. Blah, blah! At a certain level there isn't a bad bike to be had.

4) Mechanical shifting still has its place, but electronic shifting just edges it. After EPS, the lever throw necessary to shift mechanically really feels like a stretch (definition of a 1st world problem?!)

5) A light bike is a lovely thing, but it isn't everything.

eightace

by eightace

I am not a negative person or a bad person but that is a Cervelo 2014 model not 2015.

solarider

by solarider

Interesting one.

Cervelo class it as 2015, although I think it started to hit the shelves in 2014.

The 2016 is matte black and white. Those are just starting to dribble through now. Matte white is a bugger to keep clean, and I always like a gloss finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, if you could get an 00 or R1 then the carbon rails would help the overall look, plus some weight loss obviously

Also, if possible try and get black bolts for the seatpost?

One other small thing for when the time comes is some black bar tape rather than black with white stitching - would go better with the hoods
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: