Ryan's Vulgar Colnago C59 - 5,708g (Final Pics Up, pg 4)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ronderman

by ronderman

RyanH wrote:
The article that ronderman posted is interesting and rang true.

I'm impressed. You asked for feedback. You got it. You researched. You made changes. Your position on the matter has evolved.

This almost NEVER happens and it never happens over the internet and it doubly never happens over a bike board.

Well done, Ryan. Enjoy the ride. Like I said, I got the same color in my C59.

PSM

by PSM

+1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Could you share any more info on that custom headset cover? I just acquired a C59 and am running into the same issue - too much stack with that stock cover!
Last edited by Imaking20 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

I had some black aluminum rings from a crankset or something that were right about the same size as the bearing and were nearly as wide as the headset cup, so coupled with an o-ring to keep in place, it looked OEM. If you're in the US, PM me your address, I can post one to you. You'll have to go to the hardware store to find the proper size oring as I believe it sat on the inside of the aluminum ring and compressed against the alloy part of the headset that keeps the fork in place. It needs to be the right thickness so that the stem keeps it in place and it's thick enough the fill the gap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Imaking20 wrote:Could you share any more info on that custom headset cover? I just acquired a C59 and am running into the same issue - too much stack with that stock cover!

Which headset do you have? Lots of them had two covers, a tall one of 15-16mm, and a short one underneath of about 7mm. Unless it was that Acros Wedge thing, which is a piece of crap in my opinion. The new Acros found on the C60 has a very short top cap of under 5mm and a taller one that of about 16mm, used independently of each other. A colnago dealer may have one of the short ones lying around, since most probably use the taller cap. I "think" it would fit the C59 but you'd have to check to make sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thank you for that very helpful post! Mine does not have the Acros headset. With this information in mind, I headed into my local shop yesterday and managed to score the low stack cover for $5! Felt like Christmas!

Abl3rider

by Abl3rider

xena wrote:
PSM wrote:Thank's.

But there are more cofortable saddles on the market. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

I have a custom saddle made of ploytianuyxathium It weighs 35grms and is so comfortable, it adapts to your shape while you ride. It cost me $3000.
I had my dads ashes inserted into the special ploytian layers, so it means a lot to me emotionally . My dad is always with me .

LOL [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Abl3rider

by Abl3rider

beeatnik wrote:Ryan, I'm looking at a 50S C60 cos the C59 52S didn't feel quite right.

Now, my 55cm 1992 Master Piu is perfect. Ah, Colnago.

Just for reference, I'm 5'11" and mostly limbs. My saddle to BB length is 76.5 and I usually rock about 11-12cm of drop. Think I'm gonna go with a 130 stem on the 50S.

At the risk of raising ridicule, have you tried CC's fit calculator? It matched all my numbers almost to the millimeter. The key was was to measure all limbs properly.

NICE BIKE! I love matte black.
I'm 5'11" , too. But evidently mostly torso because CC's fit calculator puts me squarely on a 58. (56.4-56.8 TT). I just bought a 58cm C59 off eBay based on this sizing and that I've always ridden a 58 (vintage Super, Tommasini, Cannondale). Even when racing MTB, I always felt more comfortable and in control on a slightly large frame with slightly short or normal stem. And I think for longer rides/touring the slightly large frame is way more comfortable as long as you're not too stretched out.

When I worked at a bike shop as a young man I remember getting in a heated argument with one of the managers for going against his advice to a customer as to what size Stumpjumper to get... Even though I had already worked with said client the day before and recommended the larger size. I watched him ride both sizes around and clearly he looked better on the large. But manager put him on the cramped up size, and chastised me for contradicting him. By that time I'd already been sold a couple small bikes and knew from experience.

My feeling is that generally in the bike retail business most everyone pushes the smallest frame that fits mantra, which absolutely does not work for me. My knee scars as testimony. (Bunny-hopping a Bontrager race frame with squared off fork crown slamming my knee and crashing in rocks Italian single-track downhill on compensatingly long stemmed Stumpjumper M2.

PS wish I still had that Bontrager Race! (Even if it was a bit small).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sanandreas

by sanandreas

That's my feeling too regarding frame size. I am 1,86m tall with 88cm inseam. Everybody tried to talk me in 56 frames from several brands and I never felt right. I chose a 58 for myself an was absolutely right.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

RyanH wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 am
Just for reference, here's an overlay of my fit between the C59 and my LS:

The Litespeed "looks" more normal though, no?:

I've been professionally fitted by a respected fitter in LA, I'm just not a flexible guy. Stack wasn't supposed to change between the two frames, but the Colnago provided stack was slightly more than real measurements, so bar position is about, what, a cm higher? Not something that I really noticed though.

I think it looks different than the LS because the seat tube is 2cm longer (less post showing) and HT is about 2cm higher. The -17 compensates mostly for that but it looks like a lot less drop than the Litespeed even though they are close. The straight post and saddle pretty far forward is a result of running cleats slammed back and possibly small femurs, I dunno. I was originally looking for a frame with a 74 STA and 36.Xcm of reach instead of the 37.7 provided by the Litespeed and 38.3 by the Colnago (FWIW, size 48S through 54S had the same reach, just different stacks).

Regardless, my only real criticism leveled at the C59 was less comfort than the Parlee, which my lack of saddle to bar drop isn't going to change.

im just here to make fun of ryan circa 2015 dont worry guys

RyanH

by RyanH

Turns out that fitter was sh*t... Lol

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

how about this fitter?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

C59 was Ryan's best bike.

@dudemanppl :faint: :faint:

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Ryan lookin' like he's not a pound over 161!
RyanH wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:38 am
A couple of pics form my TT this past Saturday... horrendous weather, pissing down rain. It is a 13.7 km course... essentially a big ractangle with three 90* turns. I averaged 329 watts, 178 bpm, and 45 kph. I took 2nd in the Cat 1/2/3 class, missing the top step by 10.8 seconds.
What power meter are you using? Your watts/speed seems off. A CdA of 0.22 seems really low for a big boy :wink: . I think your Merckx style TT's suggested the same CdA which would be more far fetched. Congrats on the results though, those speeds are legit, especially the Merckx style ones.
RyanH wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
I have Stages DA9000 power meters on each of my bikes.... I'm not sure what you mean by the "big boy" comment. I'm 5'8" 161 pounds... so I'd say pretty much in the middle of sizing, not tall, nor overweight.
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm 5'9 and between 154-158lbs so I figured based off your photos, your CdA would be a little higher than mine but I could be wrong:

Anyway, your Route 29 Merckx style TT power numbers don't seem to match up with your average speed unless you had a helluva tail wind that day. I'd think you're probably putting out a lot more power than what your stages is suggesting.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Which Rt. 29 numbers are you referring to? I've raced that course a number of times. How are you figuring CdA numbers? It sounds like a tool I'd have fun with. I will say this, I always seem to manage to do more with less power in comparison to other guys I've raced against. I work hard to try and get a good, tight position and I've tried to optimize my bike from an efficiency standpoint, as much as I can... Ceramic bearings, waxed chain, low rolling resistance tires, etc.

The pic you've posted, is that a pic of your Merckx setup? I should also note that my state has some pretty advanced rules.. they actually don't calit Merckx TT, but rather Non-TT. They allow skinsuits, TT helmets and your bike can be as aggressive as you want it, as long as it'd be legal for a mass start road race... so no disc wheels, no trispokes, etc... aero bikes are allowed and deep aero wheels. I raced on a Venge with 88mm wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com