Ryan's Vulgar Colnago C59 - 5,708g (Final Pics Up, pg 4)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Looks great.

eurperg

by eurperg

RyanH wrote:Reach doesn't change in the Colnago sizing between 48s and 54s, just stack.

That's why I hate stack/reach figures. Reach is a useless number if you don't know the stack that is associated to it. And stack is useless if it has been measured from head tube and you don't know the height of headset top cone...

I much prefer figuring out the correct size using HT, TT and STA instead.

Looking at your seat position, the steeper STA of 50s would have suited you better

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

eurperg wrote:Reach is a useless number

About the same as any frame size, really. My past three bikes have been 58, 60 and 59cm and the 60cm was actually the shortest of the three.

mimason

by mimason

Perhaps I missed this in prior posts but what size is the zipp stem?

ronderman

by ronderman

RyanH wrote:Overall, I'm happy with my position and it's been reviewed by a professional fitter as I mentioned but I found it weird so many commented on my 6cm of bar drop, so I was curious to see if the same commentary would be applied if they actually saw the rider on the bike. I don't look like I'm riding upright so maybe I just have odd proportions?

Generally speaking, if someone asks for feedback, you have to take all the feedback. Good and Bad.

As for the drop in saddle to stem - what were you gonna do - get a stem with an even deeper negative bend? I think not. Due to the frame size you got, you can only go up, not down.

Again, you asked - I told you I went by TT, HT and all else - frame too big. I went down a size, that was the better size.

Move on - ride the bike. As for me, I agree with the below URL - the same article referenced earlier about colnago fit being, generally, 1cm shorter.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/colnago.shtml

danoontje

by danoontje

eurperg wrote:
RyanH wrote:Reach doesn't change in the Colnago sizing between 48s and 54s, just stack.

That's why I hate stack/reach figures. Reach is a useless number if you don't know the stack that is associated to it. And stack is useless if it has been measured from head tube and you don't know the height of headset top cone...

I much prefer figuring out the correct size using HT, TT and STA instead.

Looking at your seat position, the steeper STA of 50s would have suited you better

Right on the money ..

Sorry, don't want to hurt your feelings, but the frame is way to big.

Such expensive gear ... And it Just looks stupid/amateur when the fit is so wrong .. :oops: :shock: :?

maverick_1

by maverick_1

RyanH,
Nice built, congrats!

PS: One important point to note is that frame sizing does have an effect on the ride quality (e.g liveliness) .
Which means to say that a 50s will respond differently vs a 52s.
A different size (correct or otherwise) may end up altering your impression on a C59.

Cheers

RyanH

by RyanH

All in all, yes, despite my diligent research on picking out a frame based on geometry, my stack calculations missed that Colnago doesn't include the headset bearing cover which added 8mm. Also, I checked my measurements again and the seat post was 1cm too low.

The article that ronderman posted is interesting and rang true.

I've been riding the Litespeed for the past few weeks, but this weekend I've been back on the Colnago with a few minor tweaks: corrected saddle height and replaced the Colnago bearing cover with a custom 3mm stack one.

I don't think it's necessarily those changes but my ride impressions of the Colnago have improved having gone back and forth now. It's cornering and ability to micro adjust in turns or rip down Angeles Crest highway in a full tuck the entire way began to impress upon me of the improved ride characteristics of this frame vs the Litespeed.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do. Yes, it would look more appropriate for me to be on a 50s or even a 48s. I got the stack down to 56cm with a 0 rise stem. I was looking at the Parlee Altum in a medium and their lowest stack is taller than that, it's just that there is more seat tube showing so it gives the impression of more drop. Even a small is only 1cm lower (they measure with the top cap).

Here's the bike with the changes, not as aggressive as some but a little improved :

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1640/238 ... c7d3_h.jpg

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

fa63

by fa63

I think the fit/setup looks fine. If it fits you very well also, then even better!

Great looking bike as well, well done.

ill principe

by ill principe

Agree, setup looks ok. I know this thread has developed into a sizing/fit discussion and that probably affects how you look at your bike. My 2 cents: ride it as much a you can, and enjoy it. If it feels good, then its good. Only you should decide this!

Btw, bike looks spectacular.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

Lighti

by Lighti

It looks so great

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I have to agree with RyanH, the frame is bigger than it should be IMHO. Keep in mind also that Colnago used to suggest 11cm and longer stems for his frames.

NTMAD8R22

by NTMAD8R22

That is just gorgeous. I usually like some color of the stealth look, but this is an exception to my rule. Well done

corky

by corky

Also bear in mind that Colnagos are designed to utilize setback seatposts, that is why they are sold with them....

fIt should start with cleat position, then saddle setback to ensure you are positioned relative to the BB. iF you are not positioned correctly, handling may be adversely affected.

This has been a great thread, and I admire your honesty and willingness to share.......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Ryan, I'm looking at a 50S C60 cos the C59 52S didn't feel quite right.

Now, my 55cm 1992 Master Piu is perfect. Ah, Colnago.

Just for reference, I'm 5'11" and mostly limbs. My saddle to BB length is 76.5 and I usually rock about 11-12cm of drop. Think I'm gonna go with a 130 stem on the 50S.

At the risk of raising ridicule, have you tried CC's fit calculator? It matched all my numbers almost to the millimeter. The key was was to measure all limbs properly.