The Ultimate Commuter ? Custom Kent Eriksen

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ivan

by Ivan

Hi all,

Just want to introduce mu new commuter bike. This is my fourth dedicated commuter. First one was a alu Merckx racing bike with 105 group, cheap wheels (think Fulcrum racing7) and SKS raceblade fenders. Soon realized that rim brakes were not ideal for commuting in Belgian weather, rims would not hold more than a year. So I build myself disc equipped bike. A Salsa La Cruz with BB7 mechanical discs, ultegra group and some reliable components:
If it were not stolen, I would still ride this bike. After that, I had to get a bike very quick and ordered a VORTRIEB frame and fork together with some shimano wheels, ultegra group and XT disc brakes. Wheels were soon upgraded to handbuild carbon rims on XT hubs with CX-ray spokes but still the bike was not a pleasure to ride. Not really heavy but something was wrong, compared to my normal racing bike, it rode like a truck.
So after some time I decided it was time for a new frame, a decent frame, one that would ride well and be durable. The components would be transferred from my VORTRIEB frame. Back and forth between steel and titanium, finally decided to go with a titanium custom made frame. I contacted several frame builders and in the end I went with Kent Eriksen.
The complete spec of the bike:
- Frame: custom Kent Eriksen cross frame
- Wheels: handbuild with light bicycle rims on XT hubs with CX-ray spokes, 32 spokes 3x front and rear, black brass nipples. Hubs are equipped with a grease port. 9x100 and 9x135 QR
- Complete ultegra group with SL780 flat bar shifters
- Standard XT disc brakes 180/160
- Whisky no7 cross fork
- Velo Orange smooth polished aluminium fenders
- DA7800 crankset with 50/38 TA rings
- Speedplay pedals with Dulight Ti axles

Some images

I would also like to give my honest opinion about Kent Eriksen Cycles and the frame because I could not find many reviews on the internet. Keep in mind that this is my first custom titanium frame, all other bikes are standard aluminium, steel or carbon bikes.
On the negative side:
- The clearance of the crankset on the chain stay is a bit tight. I cannot ride a 50/38 combination without BB spacers, see pic. I will have to switch to a compact crankset with 50/36 rings I think. I do have to admit that this was my first thought and I also mentioned it to Kent (going with a compact road crankset) so I guess he made it like that. Never thought the clearance would be so tight.
- Communication and delivery of the frame can be slow. First contact with them dates back from April this year. Frame arrived beginning of September. The fact that they are in America and I in Europe with the time difference also has a part in this. I do have to stress that communication can be slow but never rude or anything. I mailed and had them on the phone several times, always helpful and polite.
On the plus side:
- Everything else. Really. It is a beauty that rides like a dream. Maybe not the lightest but it rides and handles exceptional. Finish is perfect, an amazing attention to detail. Geometry was spot on. I was speechless the moment I unpacked it and I still can’t get enough of it. I know people are saying that I want it to ride good because I paid lots of money for it but I honestly think there are several aspects (cornering, stability, comfort) that are not in my mind.
- Like I said, communication is very polite and helpful. Had them on the phone several times discussing geometry, tube thickness, the finish of the frame, … I changed my mind like three times on certain things but they never lost their patience.
Would I buy it again? In the blink of an eye. Knowing what I know now and how well it rides and what it costs, wouldn’t hesitate for one second.

Bikes I’ve owned in my life in random order (for comparison):
Road: Koga Myata FullPro L 2004
Road: Canyon ultimate model year 2005, my first competition racing bike
Road: Alu Merckx set up as commuter (105 group, fulcrum7 wheels and basic components)
MTB: Scott Comp racing 1997 (first “real” bike, man I am getting old)
MTB: Scott team racing limited 2000
Road: Salsa La cruz set up as commuter (the frameset is actualy a cross frameset)
Road: Felt AR1 2010 with SRAM red, Easton EC90 handlebar, WCS stem and AX Lightness saddle. It was my second competition racing bike
MTB: Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 2013

Thanks for reading
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Congratulationson that gorgeous bike !!
Clearence on these type of set ups is always going to be a challange, road crancks are made with narrow q factors in mind not with 32 mm tyres let alone fenders, it looks like you still have some fatchainstays in there, the kent clan most have cursed a couple of times bending and manipulating those puppies !(-:

Ivan

by Ivan

Yes it is ready for bad weather. I commute every day and this is Belgium :-) I also have winter tires (conti winter topcontact II) and spike tires (schwalbe marathon spike) so I am prepared for the worst :thumbup:
Regarding the chainstays: I am not a big gear pusher so BB stiffness is not my concern but I do like a rear brake that is nice and straigth even during accelarating or hard braking. I also wanted a high degree of stability and comfort.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run