My First High End bike - Look 695SR Aerolight

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

takashi24

by takashi24

Hi. Just to share my experience with my very first high end bike - Look 695SR Aerolight.

History about me

Little background about my cycling history. Started cycling road bike at age 15 where I remember ownselves restored my cousin steel road bike which he abandon outside his car porch. Even I have a brand new MTB. I always find myself cycling road bike where ever I go. At that time, I have zero knowledge about bike fitting or any cycling stuff. Just enjoy the breeze and sprint until I out of breath whenever I stress with my studies.
Fast forward to 2011, I got my first branded road bike which is Colnago Primavera. Heavily influence by my another cousin who own a Colnago bike during his teen days. I remembered always go to his house admiring his Colnago and thinking how is the feeling compare to my steel road bike. Surely more faster as it has more gears and light as well (Aluminum frame).
After months, getting the Primavera; I was offered by my LBS upgrading my Primavera to Arte 2.0 with top up as they doing year end clearance to make way for 2012 edition. Well, it big difference in terms of groupset upgrade from Sora to Ultegra. The shifting performance was very noticeable and the overall bike weight not much difference as Arte 2.0 is semi Alu-with carbon fork & carbon chain & seat stay.

Is a size 45. If not mistaken.

At the end of 2012, is about time to upgrade full carbon frame as I getting bored of the external cable route and the look of Arte 2.0. Did some research on the internet and finally got myself a Specialized S-works Venge. Actually, I bought the wrong size. I should have size 49 but the seller said my height can fit size 52. So end up my seat post is short and due to is a sprinter frame; the top tube is long and I have to use 80mm stem for me to reach my drop bar at my comfort zone.
Well, since is not a cheap frame and spend quite some money even transferring my Arte 2.0 Ultegra groupset to S-works Venge. No choice I have to bared with it till I have some saving before my next upgrade. The Venge has served me for two years with normal 40km ride and 80km ride during weekends.

My first full carbon frame. Total weight of 7.68kg

In early 2015, I struck by Look 695 love arrow when I traveling out town; saw a guy riding it with Proteam edition. The Look brand always appeared when I was a teenager. Reading newspaper or watching Olympics where athlete cycle on track using Look bike; hence the first impression about Look were very positive for me. As usual, did a lot reading reviews about it and happens the latest edition was the Aerolight. So bite the bullet and order on April’15.

Look 695SR Aerolight

I didnt know I ordered a "SR" version till the day I received it. A very pleasant surprise when I inspect the frame upon arrival. Even I not a big size cyclist, I guess getting a more rigid frame wont be any harmful except less comfort. But hey, why getting road (race) bike if you want something comfortable at the first place, right?
Actually, I didn’t weight the frame and fork before build it. I was so excited to ask the bike mechanic to start building it ASAP after I brought my Venge to the shop.

My spec:

Frame : Look 695 Aerolight SR version (size: XS)
Fork: Look HSC 7
Seat: Selle Italia SLR
Stem: Look Aerostem (100mm)
Bar: Zipp Service Course SL70 (40cm)
Bartape: Look (included upon purchase Frame)
Bottle cages: Zipp Aluminium
Outer Cables: Jagwire (included upon purchase Frame
Brakes: Look OEM TRP V-brake
Front derailleur: Dura-Ace 9000
Rear derailleur: Dura-Ace 9000
Crankset: Look Zed 2
Bottom Bracket: Look OEm BB65
Chainrings: Rotor Q-ring 53-39
Chain: Dura-Ace 9000
Shifters: Dura-Ace 9000
Cassette: Dura-Ace 9000 11-28
Wheels: Zipp 404 V8 hub; cassette body from 10speed change to 11speed; clincher version
Tire: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX
Pedals: Dura-Ace

Total weight: 7.2kg

The LBS saying the Mavic rim very match with Look 695 Proteam paint job

Lets getting started

Took about 4hrs 30mins to complete assemble it. Always refer to Youtube how to install the brake cable into the integrate V-brakes. Assemble the Q-ring onto the ZED2 crank and many more. So new to my LBS mechanic as he never assemble Aerolight before. I'm the first one they ever sold.

After 50km first ride and some cleaning.
Last edited by takashi24 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

briantumma

by briantumma

I'm a big fan of Look's and this looks rad. The size makes it seem super low and fast too. How are you finding the front brake performance?

kgt

by kgt

Really nice!
I also prefer it with Mavics.

takashi24

by takashi24

briantumma wrote:I'm a big fan of Look's and this looks rad. The size makes it seem super low and fast too. How are you finding the front brake performance?

Well, coming from Sram Red brake user.... I could say the Look V brake modulation not so good especially at decenting. The stopping power is there but like no ABS system. Easily lock the wheels if your grip the brake level too much.

I very bad in decenting hill or mountain so a bit nervous for me to control the Aerolight integrated brakes.

takashi24

by takashi24

kgt wrote:Really nice!
I also prefer it with Mavics.

Ya...in terms of style.. Mavic really nice but performance, I still like more higher profile n carbon made wheels.

cedced74

by cedced74

Nice bike, congrats !
It deserves better pics...

Enjoy the ride !

mrgray

by mrgray

wow! beautiful bike. a dream bike for me. sounds like a bit of a bummer about the brakes though. maybe the modulation will come to you in time, you know, you'll learn it.

how is the comfort of the bike and also the cornering? any feeling for it yet?

what was the venge like with the 80 mm stem? was it stable or a bit twitchy?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Beautiful bike. I hope to have one of these one day and this is the colour I would go for. I also agree with a few posts above in that the Mavics look superb on it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like it who wouldn't?

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Personally I would prefer the wheel decals be removed...

Gorgeous bike...one of my dream bikes! Congratulations and enjoy it!

:beerchug:

AJS914

by AJS914

Looks awesome! Congratulations!!!

takashi24

by takashi24

mrgray wrote:wow! beautiful bike. a dream bike for me. sounds like a bit of a bummer about the brakes though. maybe the modulation will come to you in time, you know, you'll learn it.

how is the comfort of the bike and also the cornering? any feeling for it yet?

what was the venge like with the 80 mm stem? was it stable or a bit twitchy?

Comfort wise still ok but try avoid uneven road surface coz a bit harsh for my liking compare my two previous bike. Maybe using 25 tire width may helps as currently 23 @ 110psi.

Cornering shine better than my venge as more compact frame giving me more in control n manage carry more speed into the corner. I guess the rigidity play important part too.

As for Venge using 80mm stem, I having hard time to maintain cycling straight path if heavy crosswind or even big vehicle like trucks overtaking/passing beside me. Maybe due to factor of 404 high profile + my light body weight (55kg) too. I always find myself grip the drop bar tighter n lock my elbow 90 degree to counter the swaying effect.

In comparison to 695 with 100mm stem, the swaying effect is lesser n feel more stable in same situation.

takashi24

by takashi24

Thx guys for the compliment. I will take better pic once I finish upgrade it to my dream spec. Stay tune.

Cals

by Cals

stunning bike, dont mind me asking the mechanic looks like Loi?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just read the whole thread. Great story. Great post. Great bike. Cycling, and the bikes we get over the years is a lot of trial and error and if we get it right, or at least think we have, before we die, then all is well. It's the process... mistakes included. Nicely done.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ