My First High End bike - Look 695SR Aerolight

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

drchull

by drchull

takashi24 wrote:
briantumma wrote:I'm a big fan of Look's and this looks rad. The size makes it seem super low and fast too. How are you finding the front brake performance?

Well, coming from Sram Red brake user.... I could say the Look V brake modulation not so good especially at decenting. The stopping power is there but like no ABS system. Easily lock the wheels if your grip the brake level too much.

I very bad in decenting hill or mountain so a bit nervous for me to control the Aerolight integrated brakes.

I thought the same thing with DA 7900 brakes but found putting really cheap hard pads on them fixed the issue. Not as good grip initially so could modulate but still plenty of lock up power. May be worth trying some different pads.

takashi24

by takashi24

Cals wrote:stunning bike, dont mind me asking the mechanic looks like Loi?

Yes. Is him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takashi24

by takashi24

drchull wrote:
I thought the same thing with DA 7900 brakes but found putting really cheap hard pads on them fixed the issue. Not as good grip initially so could modulate but still plenty of lock up power. May be worth trying some different pads.

I try before using Swiss stop yellow pad...it does abit better modulation however the trade off is I cant stand the squeaking sound whenever it brake. The high pitch sound hurts the ears and very annoying. Even my cycling group asking why my pad making such sound whenever I brake. The sound gone after I swap back to OEM Zipp brake pad.

Hence no choice stick back Zipp brake pad and just learn to control the force gripping the brake whenever at high speed (>50km/h).

takashi24

by takashi24

Swap the Zipp aluminum bottle cage to Look OEM carbon version to further weight reduction program. IMO, one of the best looking bottle cage design in the market.

takashi24

by takashi24

Just few weeks after getting my LOOK. Caught in an accident cause by a fellow cyclist who I first ride with him. Is a clearly stupid mistake done by him as going the wrong direction in a roundabout. Both me and him crash head to head but luckily somehow I manage dodge a bit as my handlebar hit his shoulder while his front tire hit on my rear wheel quick release section (left chain stay area).

At that moment dont know why I unable to mount back the rear wheel. But the day after...I back to my LBS for damage inspection; it able to mount back. Just some outer glossy finishing layer crack at the seat stays tube. Luckily, no crack on the frame itself after visual inspection and some very light bending force on the area.

Not so lucky for that fella who crash on me. His Trek frame badly damage specially on the bottom part of head tube. The fork unable to turn and off place into the frame due to the impact. Other cyclist (friend of his) asking whether he hit the road curb; he wasnt sure as things happened so fast.

As a result, his frame beyond repairable or I would say not worth getting repair after received news from his friend. I'm very grateful my Look still in one piece after the incident. I pretty sure it would break into two if I was cycling a replica frame. Maybe I'm lucky the impact didnt directly hit the frame (not one knows why mine still ok where as the Trek frame so badly damage). Or maybe the SR version really save the day.

Anyway, really close call my LOOK become totaled.