It Begins - Custom Burls Ti

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Point

by Point

So, after an agonising 8 week wait, i've now picked up my frame and chucked a few bits on to see what she looks like...

More images and better images to come soon. Just waiting on wheels, bars etc now. It'll be a temp winter build with Campganolo Zonda wheels on until I can afford some carbon clinchers for summer.

Let me know what you think! Any thoughts on weight saving please do share.
I'm very tempted to ditch the Syntace stem and possibly go for an extralite stem or maybe Pro Evo carbon integrated cockpit.

Weights

Frame: 1700g
Headset: 171g
Forks: 300g
Campag Chorus Groupo - 2120g

Coming:
Zonda: 1550g

Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

What fork is that, only at 300g uncut?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

czaballa

by czaballa

Looks to be a very nice comfortable and classic bike.

Point

by Point

prendrefeu wrote:What fork is that, only at 300g uncut?

Columbus Grammy - http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_1.htm

czaballa wrote:Looks to be a very nice comfortable and classic bike.

Cheers czaballa - That's pretty much the plan, comfortable gran fondo/sunday club ride bike.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

thebuny

by thebuny

Simple and clean!

It has internal routing on top?

Point

by Point

Thank you!

Yeah, internal rear brake routing just to keep the lines a little cleaner up there.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote, please use the reply button.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

jbaillie

by jbaillie

YAAAAAASSSS this is going to be so good.

I love the aesthetic of the integrated bar & stem but my friend who was using a Cinelli Ram ditched it because he didn't like having it so un-adjustable. I'm sure whatever you run up front will look great. Any thoughts on the saddle?

Point

by Point

Cheers jbaillie

That's my only concern with that kind of cockpit, I love the aesthetic, but without any adjustment it's a lot to spend on something that might not work, so my other consideration is an aero looking bar, probably 3T Aeronova team stealth carbon bars if I go down that route.

Saddle I'm completely stumped on at the moment. My initial plan was to go for a brown saddle (sleek not brooks style) and brown bar tape, but it seems there isn't much in the way of brown saddles to meet my criteria at the moment. Any recommendations?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

michel2

by michel2

selle is co ming with a classic flight in brown.. might just be what you are after ?

Point

by Point

Here are a couple more images to wet your appetite.
I think i'll remove the wheel decals, should make it look a little cleaner. They do however match everything nicely with the white writing and red touches that are also present on the Syntace stem, Burls Ti grade decal and on the Columbus fork. Thoughts?

She's currently sitting at 5.8kg, which is somewhat concerning as it currently doesn't have tyres, tubes, bar, shifter/cables, cassette, chain...

The seatpost collar is temporary, not sure what to get yet. I did have my eye on the Thomson one's but they seem a little bulky. May go for a J&L ti one.
Skewers need changing for ti ones, probably J&L again unless any other recommendations?

These are winter wheels, so I'm hoping for summer I can run some 50mm carbon clinchers.

Possibly looking between 7-7.5kg winter weight... could be worse, though I'd like to get it lower. The Conti Gator Skins won't help with that at all, however they've been a god send for the past 3 years with the rubbish on the road where I live.

Michel, that's interesting. Any idea when?

Bontrager XXX cages - Transferred from my Giant Defy - I personally love the look of them on this Ti build.

Burls headbage - Matching the bont. cages, thomson seatpost and king headset (this wasn't intentional).

Build so far - Thoughts?
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

michel2

by michel2

Im not sure, photots where shown on the regular websites after euro bike, the brown flite doesnt show up on there website but its roughly the same colour as the turbo in this linkhttp://www.selleitalia.com/en/prodo ... a_vintage/
Could you show me a closse up of how far down the brakepads are on the front brake caliper please, i am very curious about the tire clearence of your fork ? Thanks

Point

by Point

Interesting michel2, I'll keep my eyes peeled for them.

For now I have gone with the Fabric Scoop Shallow Pro saddle - 198g

She's actually starting to get a little weighty. Some weight weenie help would be appreciated! What would you change?

Better pictures to follow soon, I promise.
Just a quick image how she stands for now!

Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Powercordz cables and ashima casing will save a fair bit of weight.

change your saddle to a Selle Italia SLR with carbon rails that will knock 60g off.
Thompson Master piece post will save some more weight or just cut your current post down a bit.

Are those Deda bars? which ones?

Loose the gatorskins they are heavy. Replace with Vittoria Open corsa CX or conti GP4000s 25mm and vittoria latex tubes. That is a whole bunch of weight lost, ride comfort and grip improved too.

gatorskins in my experience are not better at resisting punctures than GP4000s tyres.

michel2

by michel2

i would stick in a ti post, most or erikson are nice but very expensive while the lynskey family makes one just as nice for a more sensible amount of mulla, you will love the comfort it will ad !

Point

by Point

A quick update. Better images to follow soon.

Had a quick test ride. Steerer needs cutting, cables shortening and then it's almost there.

I can't help but feel something doesn't look right though. Any ideas what?

Also, this is winter setup. I have shitty roads here which warrants the gatorskins. 50mm carbon clinchers in the pipeline for summer use.

Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com