Colnago C59 GDSL first build up and ride

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm calling this build finished now. The 13cm 3T stem didn't work out so well so I bought a 12cm Deda Superleggera. I swapped the bars for some 3T Ergonova Team Stealth. I wanted the 80mm reach and the flat top section. They are pretty nice though I wish the ends extended a bit more. New Prologo bar tape installed.

My shifting was inconsistent since I built this up, so I installed a new campagnolo cable set along with the bars. Shifting is spot on perfect now!

I had a great ride at lunch today. Broke a bunch of PRs.
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

A few small tweeks from my original setup:

Super Record Crankset 172.5 50/34
Campagnolo Chain (good improvement over the KNC chain)
3T Ergonova Stealth bars
12cm Deda Superleggera stem
Lowered stem 1cm
Conti Grand Prix 4000S tires
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Great choice of components, great pictures with good background.
But I personally don't like the color scheme. Colnago has so many brilliant painting schemes and this is just so... bland. Sorry.
Don't get me wrong, apart from the colors, I like the setup.

ronderman

by ronderman

I know exactly what you are talking about. Had a colnago C59 3 years ago, which I wanted forever, and got rid of it. Stupid. Stupid choice.

Found a NOS one on the bay for a good price. Mine is the rare electric-only frame so got it for a really great price. You are certainly correct - that frame just rides incredible. Puts a smile on my face every time. Oh, and it was such a joy to go back to a threaded BB. You got a solid build there - campy and some good wheels paired with that frame - good job. Enjoy.

AJS914

by AJS914

jdecraene85 wrote:But I personally don't like the color scheme. Colnago has so many brilliant painting schemes and this is just so... bland. Sorry.
Don't get me wrong, apart from the colors, I like the setup.

Don't you think that that is kind of rude to post that in someone's intro topic?

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I don't think it is rude at all.
I gave my personal opinion and I made it very clear that this is just my opinion. This is a forum, not some place where you post pics and know beforehand that the reactions of others will make you feel better. Besides, I did not slag off his build, at all. So I disagree, I don't think it's rude. I chose my words carefully: I like the set-up, but not the black-grey-white scheme. When I think of Colnago, I (usually) think of more vibrant colors. When I post my bike, I'll be prepared for reactions of people that don't like my taste too.

P.S. nice touch, only copying the part of my post that suits your statement.

Edit: Didn't notice you were the OP, sorry, change accordingly. And don't feel offended.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm not offended. I have a thick skin. This is the intros area though. There are lots of bikes posted here where I may not care for the color but I'd never say so. It's not the way I roll. I think it would be a bit rude and in any case, who cares what color I like? How would that be pertinent information to post? It would be the same as if one showed up on a group ride and told a guy that they should have bought a different color bike.

It would be different in the Cycle Chat or Road forums when discussing a certain frame or if someone started a discussion regarding color options.

In any case, GDSL may not have been my first choice if I had been buying new and could have choosen from any color scheme but I liked it and it has grown on me even more as I've owned it. I really think it's one of those colors you need to see in person. I know I was definitely tired of black/carbon look.

I do think this frame is a keeper. After two Times, a Parlee, a Litespeed, and a Calfee this is the best bike I've ever ridden. I could see giving it a full custom paint job some day after GDSL is worn out.

eurperg

by eurperg

It's not the GDSL paint, but alloy clinchers with machined brake tracks and black tires will make ANY bike look bland...

ronderman

by ronderman

eurperg wrote:It's not the GDSL paint, but alloy clinchers with machined brake tracks and black tires will make ANY bike look bland...

Fulcrum 1s, Mavics and all that look fine - they are the workman's wheel and frankly they are a great wheel (I prefer fulcrum for the hubs). They just don't look awesome cause they are not classic and they aren't all black.

The issue is the paint design from those Colnago years. I call them the "geometry paint" - a bunch of colors that are put within odd angles and lines. Lots of companies did it in those years and colnago did it better. It still wasn't great. I had the blue color and it was a great shade of blue, but with white and black it was just hard to work with. If it was all blue it would have been better to work with - same with the green - same with the red. I now have the matte black C59 from the same years and it's better than all the matte black frames from other makers, but if given the choice I would have picked an art deco paint job - I didn't really have that choice, though.

The GDSL is a rad paint job. Is it the best? In my view there have been better paint jobs by colnago - it's still considerably better than most of the other makers, though.

If you don't care for the paint, just say so, but to be like "I don't like it" - whatever. I'm with the OP - get the frame, get it for a discount, ride it and then when you maybe have money again get it painted aftermarket - I've seen some incredible aftermarket colnagos.

AJS914

by AJS914

I actually think the machined brake tracks look great with GDSL. Those Eurus wheels came to me practically for free and they are some of the best wheels I've ever ridden so I'll be sticking with them for a while.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

The pictures don't show anymore...

AJS914

by AJS914

Edit - pictures fixed in post #1

I've put about 3000 miles on this bike since the build. It's still very satisfying to ride. This winter it's going to get a full detail and tune up - new chain, cables, + upgrades to the latest Campagnolo 11 speed derailleurs. I needed another drivetrain for another project so I decided to buy new for the C59 and put the old stuff on the project.