Giant TCR Once Team Replica

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Darren1101

by Darren1101

Hi. Just a brief introduction before I get on to the bike. I've been cycling since I was a kid but really got in to the pro stuff in 2010 watching the Contador/Shleck TDF battle. From then on I had to swap the hybrid for a real bike.

Ffwd to last summer and I was rolling on a Tarmac SL2 S-Works in Saxo Bank colours ala Mr Shleck:

But happily for all concerned my wife was pregnant. Less happily the S Works had to go. Not being the shy retiring type its replacement also had to steer away from the black on black trend so thankfully I came across this frame on eBay for a pittance and built it up with spares:

This got me back on the road throughout last winter. I enjoyed the frame and the fit was good but it was really being let down by the cheap wheels and the poor saddle/bar combo. Thus a change of wheels and a few parts I kept back from the S Works:

Present day and having spent too many hours cycling with the club the bearing on the wheels were shot and I wanted to get in to racing. So a power meter and new wheels were obviously required...

Current spec as follows:

Frame: 2001(?) Giant TCR ONCE team replica
Fork: As above
Shifters: Dura Ace 7800
Brakes: Ultegra 6600
FD: Dura Ace 7900
RD: Dura Ace 7800 with FSA ceramic bearing jockey wheels
Pedals: Dura Ace 7900
Cables: Shimano
Crankset: Power2Max B.O.R 172.5mm
Chainrings: Praxis Works 50/34
Seat post: Mike Burrows/Giant carbon aero jobby
Seat clamp: Giant / ONCE
Saddle: Specialized Romin 143mm w. Ti rails
Stem: Deda Zero 100 Reparto Corse 100mm
Bars: Deda Zero 100 420mm
Bar tape: Lizard Skins DSP 2.1mm
Hubs: Hope Pro3 20h/24h
Rims: HED Belguim
Spokes: DT Swiss Alpine III / Champion
Tyres, tubes, rim tape: Vittoria Open Pave, Vittoria, Shwalbe.
Bottlecages: Bontrager RL

Currently weighs in at around 7.5kg (including Garmin, out front mount and speed sensor) which I don't think is too bad for a 15yr old alu frame and a power meter. Nothing has been built up with weight in mind. In fact the wheels weigh 1,680g but were built to be durable all season wheels. I come from a rugby playing background and weigh 85kg so mix of power and weight is never good for WW parts.

C&C welcome.

Darren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Good looking bike. Needs a 38/60 rim combo though :D

Darren1101

by Darren1101

Marin wrote:Good looking bike. Needs a 38/60 rim combo though :D

I did have a 50/50 set of carbon clinchers on it for a day but couldn't get on with the looks. That, and I tend to ride in most weathers (hence it being grubby in the last photo) and also ride over the moors a lot. The 50/50 setup on the S Works didn't really instill any confidence when riding in those conditions. Just setup to be ridden hard in all weathers now.

tigoose

by tigoose

Really like your bike. I'll put my '99 al fondriest up one day if i get it well under 9kg. i love older simple bikes.