5.65kg budget fixed gear hillclimb bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

umop3pisdn

by umop3pisdn

This has been a slow burning project this year in time for the hillclimb season, now finished. The idea was to shave a good amount of weight off without spending silly money. Weights and spend detailed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XYmHa-dHf5EpPw42iCVhxJlian5VZvLDdqgkgyGCAJU/edit#gid=0

Interested to hear people thoughts.

Roosterrun

by Roosterrun

Good to see it finished. Been following this on lfgss.com. When is it going to make its debut?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

umop3pisdn

by umop3pisdn

Sunday

Delorre

by Delorre

For sure a real budget build, with an impressive final weight. Being someone who is constanly rear shifting when gradiants change, in order to keep pedaling cadance in the 90 - 95 range, your setup makes me think if the weight penalty of a rear mech + cassettes is a real deal. There must be parts of climbs where you a really fighting against a too big gear, and on some easier strokes, 39 -19 is on the small side. How long are the typical climb races you do? Avg climbing %?

umop3pisdn

by umop3pisdn

British hillclimbs tend to be much shorter than those I've heard of in the US and continent, between 2 and 6 minutes with an average gradient between 6 and 20%. Generally the shorter the climb the steeper the hill. For sure fixed can be a bit of a compromise, but I do an awful lot of riding on just one gear so it's not something that bothers me any more. I find it often works quite well, staying seated and spinning for shallower sections then kicking harder out of the saddle at a lower cadence for the steeper bits. Fixed has always been the traditional choice for the British hillclimb season and still has its (hopelessly romantic) devotees.

39x19 is just the lightest gear combination I have (alloy sprocket), I can get gears between 45" and 79" to suit different hills.

JamieL

by JamieL

I rode 39x20 for most hillclimbs last year - it just seemed that the longer ones were slightly less steep and it worked out easier to keep the same set-up. That said, i'm going geared this year. A few more parts to arrive then i'll post a build.

Plex

by Plex

That is one nice bike built, looks like something out of premium rush. Mint!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Liking the purposeful build, but would love to see it with drop bars also!

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Why bother with the bottle cage for a hill climb? or is that just for training?

umop3pisdn

by umop3pisdn

Bottle for training. I prefer riding with drops, but bulls are lighter for HCs...

With drops:

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Love it. I've been riding my road bike almost exclusively as a single speed. Did a rolling 40km this morning never switching out of 39x15. You should check out the Seabase and Trackbiketotalwar clips on Vimeo. Serious fixed gear climbing. Just starting building a single - but off a vintage frame with vintage campy cranks.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

umop3pisdn wrote:Bottle for training. I prefer riding with drops, but bulls are lighter for HCs...

Awesome. But yeah, without brake hoods to hold on to, it's probably not optimal for hill climbs.

jooo

by jooo

Errr bullhorns are almost exactly the same as riding on the hoods.

continuum

by continuum

umop3pisdn wrote:Bottle for training. I prefer riding with drops, but bulls are lighter for HCs...

With drops:

What is the gear ratio? It looks crazy big :o

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackWalk

by JackWalk

jooo wrote:Errr bullhorns are almost exactly the same as riding on the hoods.

Yeah but what's the point in having hoods if you are not changing gears? That's why bullhorns are used because you are not riding in the drops on a hill climb, it's lighter than drop bars and even lighter than running drop bars with levers that are not being used