Klein quantum - (slow) progress 7.07kg now

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well a new bike for the stable. A Klein Qunatum from a year I can't quite fathom. This bike is also rather odd in that it does not have the press fit BB. The bike came fitted with some heavy FIR wheels and 3ttt forma bars, a very light icon quill stem and an ultegra BB and cassette.
currently the bike is not finished but its getting closer. I have to wrap the bar tape and postion the bars and shifters properly.
The frame is 61cm which is a bit tall for me but the top tube is the right length so the position is fine.

Current spec changes
ITM millenium carbon bars (NOS) fitted these are 215g and that saves 85g from memory. the reach on the bars is a bit long though.
Modolo 120mm quill stem fitted to replace the 130mm icon stem which was far too long with these new bars. 80g gained by this part though! 280g
Dura Ace 7700 BB saving 50g over the ultegra part 173g?
Dura Ace 9 speed cassette 161g
KMC x10SL
Dura Ace 7700 chainset 613g
Dura Ace 7410 headset
Dura Ace 7700 brakes
Dura Ace 7700 STI's
Dura Ace 7700 rear mech partially tuned with a blue alloy main pivot bolt and blue pulley screws I have forgotten the final weight. Carbon pulley and other alloy bolts yet to be fitted.
Look Keo2 Max pedals (these look wrong and have to be changed) 261g
Icon seat post - to be changed
Sella Italia Flite saddle - to be changed
Mavic GEL280 rims 32H Novatec A171/F172 hubs sapim race spokes rear sapim laser spokes front (1380g)
Vittoria Corsa SC 23mm tubulars
Ebay Ti skewers 43g
Current weight 7.79kg

There is so much more weight to be saved.
I have on order 20F/24R Carbon Ti hubs in silver (214g) which I will lace to 300g 38mm deep tubular rims with Sapim CX ray spokes these will weigh 1020g saving 360g over the current wheels.
There is a thompson master piece seat post waiting to be fitted. It weighs 170g but once it is cut down it should save over 50g compared to the current post.
One of Jure Berks saddles (maybe he can do the padded saddle with blue leather?) will save 200g
I have a set of silver Planet X brakes which are 100g lighter than the DA7700 brakes. However there is a SRP Ti bolt kit on here which may or may not have been sold might try that instead.
BTP carbon clamps for the STI's will save a few grams.
Power Cordz cables will save some more weight
All that will bring the weight to under 7kg

There is an interesting carbon square taper crankset on BTP mythic which is claimed to be 282g. With carbon chainrings and light Ti BB a sub 500g chainset/BB combo is possible. However the addition of carbon fibre chainset may clash with all the silver so a wholesale change maybe needed.

I hope to get this bike as close as is possible to 6kg however this will take time. 7kg is the immediate goal when parts arrive.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

SRP Ti bolt kit for the brakes is here. just need to fit them now. Jure Berk Saddle with blue leather padding now ordered.
I am going to fit a set of Campagnolo record pedals to it so it will have silver kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That makes sense thanks. Must be a 1997 frame then as surely quill stems were dumped after that.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ordered a berk saddle with blue padding and fitted the sp bolt kit for the front brakes. Oh saved 10g with the bolt kit. I'd post pics but brake look no different now than before. bolts replaced are the main long bolt, recessed Allen key bolt, pinch bolt and the pad holder bolt. Weight of the front brake before (without barrel adjuster) was 148g and now it is 148g.

Rear to do now. i suppose lighter pad holders will help save a bit more.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Although the pictures no longer show up, this classic one was one of the best builds yet-seen for a Klein Quantum.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71005
Maybe the build list can be inspiration?
I'm looking forward to what you put together.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

gilco

by gilco

i like "small" bike ;-)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes I have seen pics of that orange klein and oh my it looked good. A bit beyond what I can afford at present though.

I have new cinelli grammo stem on its way which will save more weight but the clash th back of the bars might mean I don't use it. There are lots of parts I want to get for this but I simply can't afford them. It's a long term project though so the budget is very flexible.

Gilco I'm fairly tall I can't ride small bikes.

Krull

by Krull

frame looks good despite the big size, and even the low wheels fit.
curious about the berk-saddle...;-)
i like the contrast of classic framesets and some modern parts.
but you should look after the front-section!
Last edited by Krull on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horze

by Horze

The Klein I had was anything but stiff in the BB. TBF it was a Trek made Q-Pro XX though.

The wheel just keeps getting reinvented.

:\
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

ethanfiamingo

by ethanfiamingo

Super Clean!

I just put some new cables on a smaller one at the shop. Wasnt as clean as yours tho... Im really enjoying seeing more of these around.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Don't worry the front end is not finished. I will not tape the bars up until a power cord blue cable kit is fitted with ashima casings.

Got a brand new cinelli grammo quill stem 120mm from a u.k shop blb earlier this week. The stem is 10g so that 100g saved. I will have to change the bars though. The deep drop look maybe period but I don't like it or the position of the hoods. The problem is the only compact 26.0mm light bars are schmolke looks like my budget for this build has increased again.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Some progress

Carbon Ti silver hubs have arrived. I have laced these to 38mm deep carbon tubular rims and glued 25mm vittoria corsa's CX tyres to them. bare wheels weight 1020g. Tubs weigh 270/276g. O.K I could have picked light tubs but I prefer these.
Wheels complete with skewers, cassette and tubs weigh 1054g rear and 774g front.

I have fitted the new cinelli grammo stem and fitted the Ti bolt kit for the rear brake which is now 140g.

I still have to fit the power codz cables and ashima outers and the Thompson seat post. I am waiting for the BERK saddle as well.

I think the new wheels look alot better than than the ones I had in there. Weight currently is 7.40kg.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Any reason other than current budget why you are not coverting to a threadless HS / stem / bars or at least using a quill adaptor?
This would really open up your options on bars.
And the larger bar / stem diameters would still match the beefy tubes of this frame.
No reason to be period correct with a nice Klein.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The bars clamp diameter would change but the bar itself will not get more chunky unless I get a 35mm bar and I am not sure about that. I have no problem with the drop on the bars or there shape although it is not ideal. Ideally I will buy schmolke bars at some point when budget allows to get a shallow drop 26.0mm bar. Grammo stems are quite chunky anyway. Quill stem adapters are quite heavy (~170g) so I dont see the point and I am not going to change the Klein forks that would be well foolish in my opinion. I like the forks being colour matched to the frame.

So the front end is far from finished it could take a year to get this bike together. Budget is flexible the longer the build the higher the budget. I have 12 other bikes to ride in the meantime so no rush.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

BERK saddle on it way on monday!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com