My Specialized Allez Smartweld

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tom14

by Tom14

I've bought this frameset this spring and swapped al the parts from my old Trek 2.5.

(The saddle-position is wrong on the photo here).

Frame: 2015 Specialized Allez Smartweld
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Pedals: Shimano R550
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova Pro with Specialized S-Wrap Velvet
Stem: Specialized Comp Stem
Seatpost: Specialized S-Works Carbon
Saddle: Specialized Toupé Pro
Bottlecages: Specialized Rib Cage
Wheels: Mavic Cosmic Carbone with Michelin Pro4, Easton Circuit with Veloflex Master or Mavic Open pro with Specialized Espoir Elite.

My first goal was to build a not too expensive and good riding bike for races. I really think that this frame is impressive! The stifness, handling and cornering are great. I notice that I'm taking corners so much better! Racing is easier and cornering way more fun :wink: Besides that, I already own a Crux. So it matches good.

I live in Holland and all races here are flat, so weight wasn't that much an issue. I've weighed it, and it's a little less than 8 kg with the Eastons.

Today my girlfriend bought a '14 Tarmac SL4 Expert and now I want my bike to become lighter than hers :D

Two weeks ago I swapped the 3T seatpost with an S-Works and because my girlfriend needed a shorter stem on her bike I could get the Specialized S-Works SL that was on it. I have to weigh them but I guess that I will save 100 grams with both (stem and post) switched.

What are your toughts of my bike? This fall I will update to SRAM Force 22. It saves me almost half a kilo! Do you guys have some other diet tips for my bike? I'm not going to buy other wheels unless I break some of the wheels I have now ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdusink

by mdusink

Nice bike. I've heard some stories on the (lack of) BB stiffness. What are your thoughts (and/or) compared to your GF's tarmac? (if she let's you ride it).

Couple of thoughts on weenie-ing:
- Latex tubes
- Carbon handlebar
- Lighter pedals (ultegra?)
- S-works crank
- Lighter cages
- Titanium bolts
- Titanium QR's

Tom14

by Tom14

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the kind words about my bike ;)
Changing the pedals is a good idea. Ultegra must save some weight! And I'm also going to change the bolts and cages in the foreseeable future. Thanks voor the ideas! The S-Works crank is a bit too expensive for me and I'm not a big fan of carbon handlebars.

About the BB stiffness. I've ridden her bike for a quick spin in the neigbourhood and it feels stiffer in the BB compared to the Allez. But she has a carbon FSA SL-K BB30 crank and I have a Ultegra with shims to fit in de OSBB bracketshell, so maybe it's a bit hard to compare.
On the other hand, I don't feel lack of stiffness on my Allez. It's a stiff and lively bike and it's steering qualities are awesome. But as far as I can compare it now, the Tarmac is a bit stiffer and yet smoother.

Tom14

by Tom14

I've put it on a diet a bit. Swapped the heavy Specialized Comp stem for an S-Works version. That saved me 60 grams 8)
And swapped the Ultegra 6700 for Force22 and made this crappy picture.

I already love the SRAM group so much! The Ultegra was still good, but this so much better! The wheels on the picture are my GF's wheels. I use Easton Circuit now. The only thing I want to change are the pedals and in the future I'd like to buy some good and light wheels.

Tom14

by Tom14

I will weigh it tomorrow ;)

ollekirchmeier

by ollekirchmeier

Looks good with The Force22!

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Any updates on this bike? I really love the force 22 on it. Keen to find out the new weight.

Tom14

by Tom14

Thanks both! The latest updates after the Force22 groupset are a pair of S-Works tires. Really love them. And Ultegra pedals and after breaking 3 Toupés in 5 months I got a Phenom. A little bit heavier, but more bombproof.

The total weight is 7,5kg with the Easton wheels. I'm not going to upgrade more, because I've ordered a Venge!

RickyKong

by RickyKong

Is this frame same as Allez DSW SL (2016)??

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Hey , how do you get a chick who likes cycling ? Btw nice bike !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tom14

by Tom14

Thnx! Just met her at a local cycling club ;)

@RickyKong; Yes, it's the same frame.