Focus Izalco Max (6.605 kg) - New pics pg.3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

oliadams92

by oliadams92

Focus Izalco Max - Shimano Ultegra (7.03kg)

12/07/15 Specification:
Reynolds Assault wheelset
Shimano Ultegra groupset
Selle Italia saddle
Fizik stem
Concept seatpost
FSA Carbon bars

UPDATE: 6/5/17, bike now weighs 6.74 kg:

Frame: Focus Izalco Max
Fork: Focus Izalco Max
hanger: Focus
Headset: Cane Creek
Seatpost clamp: Focus
Seatpost: Concept
Seat: Selle Italia SLR
Stem: Fizik
Bar: FSA
Bartape: Fizik
bottle cages and hardware: Elite
Outer Cables: Shimano
Inner Cables: Shimano
Brakes: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Front derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Crankset: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Bottom Bracket:
Chainrings: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Chainring bolts:
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 9000
Wheels: Reynolds Assault Clinchers
hubs: Reynolds
Spokes: Reynolds
Rims: Reynolds Assault
Inntertubes: Continental Supersonic
Tires: Schwable One
Pedals: Look Keo Carbon
Polar/garmin/computer mounts: Fizik bar fly
Tape/glue:

Thanks for looking, any comments welcome :beerchug:
Last edited by oliadams92 on Fri May 12, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.

oliadams92

by oliadams92

Any ideas how I could go sub 7kg would be appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

the heavy handlebar and seat post are focus's brand so heavy as hell , cheap :D shure you can gain 150 gr there
put a 30 mm crankset instead of the ultragra and the adaptator 30=to 24 mm

reynolds assaut clincher are heavy too
I love the ultegra 11 speed even if it's heavy
look for EE brakes in classifieds from forum , troc vélo etc ...

This frame set is awesome , same kind as a super six evo

Krull

by Krull

wow, great-looking bike. sram red would save a lot of weight-but, honestly, in use, it will make no difference-just for the paper!;-)

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Clean looking bike. The top of the line Izalco Max builds come in around 12lb.
You should compare the parts build list and you'll be in the 6kg in no time.
If you're looking to go WW, then the options are unlimited.

Cranks/Bars/Stem/Pedals/Group/Wheels/Cables/Post/Saddle/Brakes.

I almost bought a Max frame to toss my SR11 group on with EE brakes and Clavicula cranks. You can shave weight easily with that frame. It's a good starting point for a solid 12lb daily riding bike.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Beaver

by Beaver

Nice bike! :thumbup:

Unfortunately on larger sizes the wide headtube and slim fork don't really match but here it just looks fine.

I would also suggest changing the cockpit to easily shave some weight, but maybe you should start with a BB30 crank like the "old" 2014 FSA SL-K light BB30 with Praxisworks or Shimano chainrings to keep the shifting performance. That way you will loose more than 200grs.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This looks great. I had a low range Focus once and found it really uninspiring to ride but I bet this is a different story!! I'd go with a Fizik carbon post to match that stem (that's the set up I will be putting on my Supersix I reckon)
James

oliadams92

by oliadams92

Thanks for the input everyone, Some interesting ideas. I am thinking a new seatpost will be a relatively easy upgrade to achieve below 7.0kg. I don't really know if I want to go too far beyond that because of the amount of cash I will have to throw at it!

Would love to go Sram Red as I think it would match the bike perfectly! plus the obvious weight saving..

dmulligan

by dmulligan

That is one nice bike. What size is it? Other than the wheels have you upgraded anything? Is the weight with bottle cage, pedals and any other accessories?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Krull

by Krull

oliadams92 wrote:
Would love to go Sram Red as I think it would match the bike perfectly! plus the obvious weight saving..

just as example: my izalco max, size 52, (same paintjob as yours, only yellow accents), is a costum-build without any tuning-parts. i am using light standard parts like sram red (10s), zipp 202 tub, light post/bar/stem-combo, but although a heavy rotor3d-p2max-powermeter-crankset with rotor-4624-adapter-bb (137gr.!).
weight is, including pedals/bottle-cages, 6,16 kg.
of course, a lot of weight-saving-potential with your focus,, but honestly, i would not spend too much money in lighter bike parts.
regards,

oliadams92

by oliadams92

dmulligan wrote:That is one nice bike. What size is it? Other than the wheels have you upgraded anything? Is the weight with bottle cage, pedals and any other accessories?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Size is a 54cm - I'm 5ft 10 and its a great fit.
Wheels and stem are the only upgrades I have made, planning to do seat post soon (hopefully the Fizik one to match the stem)
Weight was measured with cages, pedals, Garmin out front mount.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Impressive weight! My 2014 Cervelo R3 with full Ultegra 6800 groupset, including crankset, a 55mm deep carbon wheel set just 100 grams heavier than yours, SP Zero Ti pedals, 3T Ergonova Pro bar, light stem, carbon bottle cages, and barfly 2.0 out front garmin mount weighs 7.260kg. I will post about it in this subforum as soon as I get some pictures ready.

Lol.. I have the same scale and tyres as you do. I am phasing the tyres out, once the pair on my commuter are done I won't be using them anymore. The pressure required to avoid pinch flats is very high and I recently realized that high pressure is far less comfortable. GP4000SII tyres seem to be as durable and reliable but can be used at much lower pressure.

oliadams92

by oliadams92

Krull wrote:
oliadams92 wrote:

just as example: my izalco max, size 52, (same paintjob as yours, only yellow accents), is a costum-build without any tuning-parts. i am using light standard parts like sram red (10s), zipp 202 tub, light post/bar/stem-combo, but although a heavy rotor3d-p2max-powermeter-crankset with rotor-4624-adapter-bb (137gr.!).
weight is, including pedals/bottle-cages, 6,16 kg.
of course, a lot of weight-saving-potential with your focus,, but honestly, i would not spend too much money in lighter bike parts.
regards,

Sounds like a really nice set up, Do you have any pictures on the forum?

oliadams92

by oliadams92

dmulligan wrote:Impressive weight! My 2014 Cervelo R3 with full Ultegra 6800 groupset, including crankset, a 55mm deep carbon wheel set just 100 grams heavier than yours, SP Zero Ti pedals, 3T Ergonova Pro bar, light stem, carbon bottle cages, and barfly 2.0 out front garmin mount weighs 7.260kg. I will post about it in this subforum as soon as I get some pictures ready.

Lol.. I have the same scale and tyres as you do. I am phasing the tyres out, once the pair on my commuter are done I won't be using them anymore. The pressure required to avoid pinch flats is very high and I recently realized that high pressure is far less comfortable. GP4000SII tyres seem to be as durable and reliable but can be used at much lower pressure.

Love the look of the Cervelo R series, Looking forwards to seeing the pictures.

That surprises me about the tyres, I have done around 10,000 miles on 1 set without a puncture! Usually go to around 100psi (I'm 64kg so that helps).

I think next I will go for the GP4000SII or the Schwable One's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

oliadams92 wrote:Love the look of the Cervelo R series, Looking forwards to seeing the pictures.

That surprises me about the tyres, I have done around 10,000 miles on 1 set without a puncture! Usually go to around 100psi (I'm 64kg so that helps).

I think next I will go for the GP4000SII or the Schwable One's.

I will try to get some pics this weekend :)

I have similar experience on my Vreddies, I get 4000KM from a set and I've only had 2 or 3 punctures the rest were pinch flats. I weigh 80kg and have to inflate them to 120&115 psi. Anything lower and I tend to get pinch flats from curbs, rough roads etc. Most of my pinch flats have been while commuting so we have to add about 5kg for my pannier directly over the rear wheel. My GP4000SII experience is only on my R3 so far, otherwise just with one day on my commuter for a comparison. On my R3 I have a 25mm @ 90psi on the rear and a 23mm @90psi on the front and it is plenty cush. I ran that set on my commuter for a day the worst of the jarring parts of my route, nasty bits of pavement either pushed up by frost heave or tree roots, were merely bouncy. Going from 23mm vreddie to 25/23mm GP4000SII tyres took most of the bite out of the bumps. I think I've put 2000km on my R3 and so far no punctures or pinch flats either.

D