2015 Cervelo R5 Super Record - 6.3kg (13.9lb) Daily Climber

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Birdman

by Birdman

I put way too big of rubber on my Domane and took some paint off of the seat stay brake bridge. Hope that isn't happening to you.

Oh and the S-Works spider arrived without a scratch. Taking it to my LBS tomorrow to get it installed :) Thanks!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Rims: 2014 Reynolds Attack: 25mm outer width. 17mm bead width

Can you give some feedback on the wheels after some months of use? How's the braking? No pulsing or overheat issues? With your weight, I suppose stiffness of not an issue at all?

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Love it

AZR3

by AZR3

Nicely built up R5, I'm slowly getting my 56cm R3 Team down to 12.9x

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Delorre wrote:
arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Rims: 2014 Reynolds Attack: 25mm outer width. 17mm bead width

Can you give some feedback on the wheels after some months of use? How's the braking? No pulsing or overheat issues? With your weight, I suppose stiffness of not an issue at all?

Hey there,

I'm happy to! I have actually been able to spend quite a bit of time on different carbon clinchers. I do a lot of climbing, a lot of steep stuff that involves a lot of braking. Luckily, as you mentioned, my weight does make it a bit easier on my wheels. If I were 180lb, I probably wouldn't be riding the hills I do on carbon clinchers. So take what I say with a grain of salt..

I do genuinely feel that the braking surface on Reynolds is one of the best. I've put a lot of miles on Enve's, Zipp Firecrests, and Reynolds. The Zipps were terrible for what I use them for. They would get very hot, very quickly, and did not stop well once they were warm. I got them to the point once where they were dripping a bit from the brake track. No good.

I feel that Enve and Reynolds are really close in terms of braking and overall quality. Its hard to say anything bad about Enve... I felt that the Enve's didn't stop as well once they got to higher temps. They seemed less consistent. Of all the reynolds wheels I've had and currently have, they always seem the most consistent, even when they get really toasty.

Keep in mind with all of the above I did a bit of experimenting with brake pads. Tried Swisstop, enve, cork, and reynolds blue pads. Always liked the reynolds pads the best, and if you read around on the forums you'll find many others do too. They last forever as well and are super cheap to replace. I can't speak to wet weather braking as I live in Arizona and it rarely rains.

I've ridden deeper 46mm and 66mm reynolds along with the shallower rims as well.. I've never really noticed a tangible difference in "heat dissipation" between deeper and shallower rims. In principle it makes sense that deeper rims would manage heat better, but I'm not sure I've noticed personally.

I have put over 20k on a set of older Reynolds rims and you still couldn't see the wear indicator (they put a red strip in the brake track and when you reach that you should chill out and get some new rims). No pulled spokes or any other issues. Very bulletproof wheels. My other sets have around 10k on them, including the attacks shown in this thread. Still in great shape, and knock on wood, don't show any signs of giving up any time soon. I wanted to build a very light set of wheels at a reasonable price, so I picked these up second hand for $700 laced up to stock reynolds hubs, sold those for $150, and laced them to the tunes. The rims were 375g and 376g front and rear. Much lighter than any other brand name offering you can get out there right now. Substantially lighter than Enve 25 and 2.2 clinchers, 202's, Bontrager D3's, etc.

Overall, blabbering aside, highly recommended. Much cheaper than competition and, in my opinion, they work better than the competition too. Very, very durable.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

517 miles and 55,000ft of climbing in the past 14 days. I sure love this bike.

Last edited by arizonahalfnhalf on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I've been playing with my cockpit just a bit. I've been finding my hands draping over the front of the levers, but didn't want to go a full 10mm out on a longer stem. Trying some new bars which give me about 6mm more reach, and a -10-degree stem from my -6 degree Ritchey stem, feels great so far. They're S-Works SL bars, coming in at 188g, much lighter than my Eastons which were 210g. The S-Works bars have a lot more flex in them when compared to the Easton's, which is welcomed on the rough roads in my area. Not flexy enough for me to notice while sprinting or climbing, though I'm not heavy or powerful enough to really put much power through the bars anyways.

Sacke

by Sacke

@arizonahalfnhalf

That is a 51cm... I am 5'10" (178cm) with a saddle height of 73,5cm and a reach from saddle tip to middle of handlebars of about 53,5cm... 7-8cm of drop and 6-8cm of saddle setback from bb.

It looks like you might be pretty close to my measurements, apart from a more aggressive 10-11cm drop.

If you have the possibility, could you give your strategic measurements?

mikemike

by mikemike

@arizonahalfnhalf

killing it man! new stem looks on point too...which is it? ive been looking for slick -10 degree for ages!

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

mikemike wrote:@arizonahalfnhalf

killing it man! new stem looks on point too...which is it? ive been looking for slick -10 degree for ages!

Thanks man! It is a 120mm Easton EA90 (debadged, its one of the easiest, logos wipe right off with acetone). Its a bit chunky by weightweenies standards (got it down to 145g with Ti hardware), but its solid and stiffI agree, 10 degree is perfect. I wish there were some better angle options out there, would more 8, 10, or even 12 degree options kill anybody!?

Sacke wrote:@arizonahalfnhalf

That is a 51cm... I am 5'10" (178cm) with a saddle height of 73,5cm and a reach from saddle tip to middle of handlebars of about 53,5cm... 7-8cm of drop and 6-8cm of saddle setback from bb.

It looks like you might be pretty close to my measurements, apart from a more aggressive 10-11cm drop.

If you have the possibility, could you give your strategic measurements?

Sorry, I keep forgetting to get measurements! I'm out of town on a riding trip and believe it or not I don't have a tape measurer. I use to know my measurements by heart, but I've had some knee issues in the last few years and I've been making adjustments here and there depending on how I'm feeling.

It is indeed a 51cm, I'm 5'8" on a good day and have longer legs and arms and a weird short torso.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Holy shit, very ace aesthetics on this thing. Like seriously yum. Anyway, Pro Vibe 7s stems are actually really light (my 120 was either high 120 or low 130g tuned?) plus they're basically the stiffest out there. I always use em on my builds.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

dudemanppl wrote:Holy shit, very ace aesthetics on this thing. Like seriously yum. Anyway, Pro Vibe 7s stems are actually really light (my 120 was either high 120 or low 130g tuned?) plus they're basically the stiffest out there. I always use em on my builds.

Funny, I was actually just looking at those! I quite like the newer LTD models with the very minimal logos.

nismosr

by nismosr

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:
mikemike wrote:@arizonahalfnhalf

Thanks man! It is a 120mm Easton EA90 (debadged, its one of the easiest, logos wipe right off with acetone). Its a bit chunky by weightweenies standards (got it down to 145g with Ti hardware), but its solid and stiffI agree, 10 degree is perfect. I wish there were some better angle options out there, would more 8, 10, or even 12 degree options kill anybody!?

I have the same stem on my gone R5 Build but I thought it was about 120g with Ti bolt. one of my favorite stem and currently on my Colnago C50 ..

55k ft for 14days .. you're a beast !
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Funny, I was actually just looking at those! I quite like the newer LTD models with the very minimal logos.

The LTD versions are carbon wrapped alloy so they're heavier and not as stiff, I'd go for the 7s. Plus the logos come off with acetone in seconds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tbrix

by tbrix

I never tire of looking at this bike. One of my all-time favorite Cervelos. A shame to lose that funky stem though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk