2015 Cervelo R5 Super Record - 6.3kg (13.9lb) Daily Climber

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

nlouthan wrote:That is super!!

Can you elaborate on the installation of the bottom bracket? The BBinfinite instructions say to not use a wavy washer and to use threadlocker on the bearing races before installing the crank. I'm not too sure about either of those.

I'm getting ready to buy an R3 and am debating between this BB and the press in Campagnolo ones (with appropriate locking compound).

Do the BBinfinite shell. I'm serious. My Campagnolo cups walked around like crazy, regardless of what loctite compound I tried. When researching I found I wasn't the only Cervelo owner with this issue. The BBinfinite shell is like 70g heavier, but for silence, I'd sacrifice a lot more weight.

I was a little skeptical on the install too. So you use the supplied blue loctite (sorry don't remember the loctite #) between the bb shell and bb itself. Then you use green loctite between the bearing races and the bb. The green loctite is really mild, it by no means fixes the bearings in there. It just keeps the smaller movements from happening. In fact, the other day I pulled the crankset out to see how everything was doing after 1,000 miles (my cranks have like 10,000 on them) and the bearings came out with a light nudge by hand on the back of the crank arm.

I actually called BBinfinite during my install to make sure of a few things (it's nerve wracking to be forcefully slamming the thing into a brand new $5,000 frame) and they were very helpful and actually made some revisions to the instructions based on things I was unclear on after reading them. (They didn't actually change anything just emphasized some points that were in there that I missed). Which was really cool I thought. They're pretty new, I don't think there are many of the BBrright-UT shells out there.

Overall very, very pleased. Cranks spin way faster than they did in the campy cups (with same bearings) and are free of play, not a peep to speak of yet.. They did a great job engineering the piece.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Thanks for the additional info. Glad to hear you've had excellent results!

Did you use a wavy washer? There's no C-clip either, right?

choiboi

by choiboi

Love this bike!!!!
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

CaliBuddha
in the industry

by CaliBuddha

Very nice man

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

nlouthan wrote:Thanks for the additional info. Glad to hear you've had excellent results!

Did you use a wavy washer? There's no C-clip either, right?

Indeed, no wave washer or c-clip. I've never had any issues with the main fixing bolt loosening or anything.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Gorgeous frame!! Nice dependable spec too, and possibly the coolest stem ever?!

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

tbrix wrote:Awesome bike. You need to get this jersey to match your groovy stem.
http://maap.cc/products/arrows-jersey-charcoal-citrus

Haha! That kit is sweet! But I already have too many kits, two of the kits I have by Cadence Collection to match the stem. A black one and a grey one. (this isn't me modeling, hah!)

And one to match the bottles in the pics:
Last edited by arizonahalfnhalf on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

By the way, Cadence just did another collab with Ritchey for their new C220 Stem + Bars. Same "Keep Going" message, which I love.

em3

by em3

nlouthan wrote:That is super!!

Can you elaborate on the installation of the bottom bracket? The BBinfinite instructions say to not use a wavy washer and to use threadlocker on the bearing races before installing the crank. I'm not too sure about either of those.

I'm getting ready to buy an R3 and am debating between this BB and the press in Campagnolo ones (with appropriate locking compound).

...stick with the Campy cups and do it right the first time with Loctite install. Why spend $200 for BBInfinite and add more weight, when u can simply use the cups specifically designed for BBright by Campagnolo??? I have over 15K miles on my Campy BBRight cups and never experienced even the slightest creak.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

em3 wrote:...stick with the Campy cups and do it right the first time with Loctite install. Why spend $200 for BBInfinite and add more weight, when u can simply use the cups specifically designed for BBright by Campagnolo??? I have over 15K miles on my Campy BBRight cups and never experienced even the slightest creak.

Can't entirely agree with you, as mentioned some frames just creek all over the place, even with proper locktite install. In the end a matter of production of the frame, not of an inadequate installation.
BBinfinite is just a solution to those problems and a very good one as well considering the raving reviews.
It's a choice of testing and hopefully having a frame with perfect BB with the campy cups or being certain things will work well with BBinfinite.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

em3 wrote:...stick with the Campy cups and do it right the first time with Loctite install. Why spend $200 for BBInfinite and add more weight, when u can simply use the cups specifically designed for BBright by Campagnolo??? I have over 15K miles on my Campy BBRight cups and never experienced even the slightest creak.

I really wish I could say the same. Did proper install with proper loctite.. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have had the same problem this time around, but just didn't want to deal with it.. It just comes down to the tiniest tolerances, and with carbon frames no two are identical.

Birdman

by Birdman

@arizonahalfnhalf

any chance we can see a chainstay shot with your 28mm tires? I'm always interested in tire clearance photos, thanks :)
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Tires: Challenge Strada Open: 25mm inflated to 100psi, actual width just under 30mm once inflated and stretched after a few rides.
Rims: 2014 Reynolds Attack: 25mm outer width. 17mm bead width
Frame: 2015 Cervelo R5

Birdman

by Birdman

@arizonahalfnhalf

Thanks a million! I love tire clearance pics. And congrats on the huge tire clearance, IMO the 2015 upgrade is totally worth it if just tire clearance alone.

I demo'd the same R5 (same color too!) last summer, rode it back to back against my Domane 6.2, and got lost on the R5 in the rain. The rain broke my phone (that's how I got lost) but the ride experience was totally worth it. A bit eye opening.

Congrats again on the beauty!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Absolutely! I adore this bike even more than my last. My older model R5 wouldn't take anything wider than a 23mm GP4000S or a 25mm Veloflex Master (both actually 25mm on wide rims). They were fine on the fork and chainstays, would rub on the seat stay. Such a bummer.

I really think tires are the most underestimated component of a bike. They can contribute just as much to ride quality and comfort as the wheel and frame choice, so the ability to ride a wider variety of tires is super important to me.

Thank you, sir! By the way, hope that specialized spider arrived safely and will work for you!