Salsa La Cruz 650b

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jdp211

by jdp211

I've been working on this project since about two weeks after Baller's, but held up by various delays. Toying around on some friends' Seven Evergreens (one 650b and one 700c) bikes was a bit eye opening for me and got me rather itchy for a new ride. After finding that stock 650b disc frames are (were) non-existent, I searched for a worthy candidate for a conversion. Requirements were disc, big (BIG) tire clearance, road-ish geo, and fender mounts. What I decided was the perfect frame for this was the Salsa la Cruz. I found one in decent condition, plasti-dipped (poorly) the frame and fork to colors I dug, and have been acquiring parts for a while for it. I was initially going to build it with Campy bits that came off of my Black Mountain, but when I went to build with them I found that my left shifter was shot. I figured it would be a good time to try something new and that the build begged to be built with a 32t cassette, so I sold off the Chorus parts and used the funds to purchase a brand new 5800 group. I had also tracked down a pretty excellent deal on a set of brand new DT 240s laced Velocity Blunts. Weight is a particularly light 10kg :oops:
ImageDSCF4546 by jacob Perlmutter, on Flickr

jdp211

by jdp211

Got a first ride on this monster last night and holy crap was it fun! First time on a disc road bike for an appreciable amount of time and I'm pretty sold. I need to play with tire pressure a bit to really dial them, but they felt great at 38/42 on a mixed surface ride. I've been on Campy for the past few years and am rather impressed at how well the 5800 bits work, Shimano totally knocked it out of the park. All in all I'm pleased with this experiment and can't wait to really beat on this thing leading up to D2R2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Looks like a very fun bike with a racy position, double cool

jdp211

by jdp211

Thanks man, pretty much replicated my race bike position, but with the bars ~5mm higher.