Helium SL Ver 2.0 (S-works retired)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Miles253

by Miles253

Both of those paint jobs are absolutely stunning!
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Love the colour on the Ridley, deep wheels def suit it! :thumbup:

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Whoa! That Ridley is super nice. There was one that just ended on ebay this weekend for $600 Frame and Fork!!!!
I couldn't decide between the ridley helium SL or the BH Ultralight Evo (I won).
Now thinking I got the Helium to repaint! Man those bikes are so nice.
Build inspiration. Hard to find MCFK post in a 27.2 though. :?
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

RobinRS

by RobinRS

Wow that Ridley! :thumbup:

plag

by plag

Did you paint those yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Definitely not me who has painted them. Some of the best in the business aruond Sydney were responsible for both paintjobs though.

I just got the Ridley back and it has gained some weight :(

It is now sitting at 6490g and the changes are

Zipp 404 FC --> Bora one 35
Red22 --> Ui2

Except i have retained the red22 cassette and the brakes. Cassette wise it is lighter than dura-ace equiv and should work better than recon's anyways. Brakes wise i decided after reading up on fairwheels brake review for the 8th time and the mix of weight/power gave the red22 a tick for me. Only annoying thing with red22 brakes seems to be a little more setup to center and keep centered.

Other changes that have happened are that the shop hacw taken off the aican and used standard brake cable housing.

So immediately i will change the heavy ass campy skewers in favor of some lightweight ones which should drop a good 80g and then i might replace the brake cables later on when it is service time since i just wrapped new bar tape.

I think ultimately i have gained some weight in the groupset but lost some weight in the rotational wheelset. Pics to come shortly.

trying to stay away from chucking on too much WW parts on the ridley because this is meant to be a rock solid minimal servicing bike.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Bora's ride good. When asked how it rides, my first impressions are that nothing really stands out in particular.

Isn't as responsive as lightweights, doesn't hold speed as well as Zipp's but more so does a bit of everything aka all rounder.

Definitely more compliant vs 404 deep dish and still seems to roll along fine but definitely feels perkier and more responsive vs the 404. Braking is on par with 404's as well with black prince pads.

I ordered 4 force tyres and will run them front and back. I used to run the attack/force combo previously but now with wider rim, i am going to try force up front as well. A few sources i have seen have given a very low CRR for the force which should be theoretically better than the Michellin pro 4 SC.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Quick update.

3T stem on the Ridley has being changed to a Extralite Hyperstem 120mm -12deg. The Sworks has had the stem lowered but i might get another Hyperstem in the same dimension for it as well.

I have found a point of distinction on the two bikes though. The Tarmac i feel is better in smaller bunchs or solo rides as it is such a fast bike up rollers and obviously climbing is great.

For fast bunches i prefer the less frisky and more solid Ridley though.

czaballa

by czaballa

Really like the look of that Ridley!

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Ridley looks ace :thumbup: But what's up with your saddle tilted down? or is it just the photo angles.... :noidea:

CH4K1

by CH4K1

Fantastic bikes!!!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9070 utilizzando Tapatalk

jdc5r

by jdc5r

it is tilted down slightly slightly but the photos make it look more exaggerated (wheels is in between wooden boards)

tbrix

by tbrix

Those bikes look fantastic. Is that first pic taken on the coast walk to Bondi?

jdc5r

by jdc5r

the one on the wooden bridge? that is the bridge out at "Lapa"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Update for 2016:

S-works = retired
Ridley will get a make over. Going to be a more focused WW build. Will be refinished to be black to chase every gram and a lot of the parts from the Sworks moved over.