2015 BMC Team Machine SLR01

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mchu004

by mchu004

Hi everybody,
Long time lurker of Weight Weenies and finally registered! This is my baby :)

2015 BMC Team Machine SLR01 56cm

ImageDSC_2325-1 by mchu004, on Flickr

Bought as a complete 6800 build w/ 3T components (no tier, so I presume lower tier than 3T PRO). You can check the BMC website for the full specs of the original bike.

Made the following changes/additions:
- Zipp 202 FC Wheelset
- Fizik Aliante Carbon Braided Rail Saddle
- 3T Arx Team Stem (110mm)
- Garmin Edge 510
- Look Keo Blade Carbon/Ti Axle Pedals
- Kuota Kold Carbon Bottle Cages

Weighs in at 7.09kg. The weight weenie in me is wanting to shed that extra 100g...but really, would like to hit that 6.8kg mark..

Image20150623_184335 by mchu004, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nd2rc

by nd2rc

sweet!

Delorre

by Delorre

mchu004 wrote:Weighs in at 7.09kg. The weight weenie in me is wanting to shed that extra 100g...but really, would like to hit that 6.8kg mark..

Fit some carbon 2th hand handlerbars (ergonova f.ex), look at Michelin ultralite innertubes (80gr each, and durable) and maybe tune skewers (@30 gr the set) and you've lost a lot for not that much money. Finish it off with a DA9000 crankset, and your done (for a while :wink: )

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

Fantastic bike. I love mine...best bike i have ever ridden. Very responsive and super comfortable. My 2014 Team Machine came in at 6.4kg, with Reynolds Assault wheels, but i have SRAM Red groupo.

I am sure you'll love it. Keep us updated on the changes you make.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

A real eye catcher - wee done !!!

Spincycle

by Spincycle

Beautiful bike! Nothing I would change

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Congrats on the bike. Go out there and enjoy it. However, there are a couple of things that will make the bike lighter, and look better.

Tubes: go with a 48mm or 51mm lightweight (butyl) tube. The ones that come with Zipp wheels are heavy. Also, remove the valve caps and threaded retainers. Replace the retainers with a small amount of electrical tape over the valve to prevent it from rattling in the rim.

Bottle cages: those Kuota Kolds are heavy at 24g/each. You can find two cages for the weight of just one of your current cages.

Finally, please fix your tires and orient them properly. The tire logo should be centered over the valve, not haphazardly, like you have them now. Believe it or not, this serves a function (it makes it easier to locate the valve stem). Also, remember that Conti 4000S II's are directional, so please make sure that they are on the correct way.

WileEcoyote

by WileEcoyote

Beautiful bike. Not sure I would be too fussed about the weight. I hope you don't change the crankset. While it may be heavy, the Ultegra looks brilliant on that frame. I think tubes, tires and bottle cages are easy choices. Handlebars. Maybe a Dura Ace cassette?

Enjoy the bike!

Seedster

by Seedster

Great bike and superior photography. Love BMC color schemes

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

WileEcoyote wrote:Maybe a Dura Ace cassette?

I'd stay away from DA cassettes.

mchu004

by mchu004

Thanks for the comments!

Update:
I've since replaced the inner tubes with Michelin Ultralights 48mm (as recommended to me in this thread), valve retainer rings and caps have also been removed (just for convenience, but hey, this is also WW!) FIJIGabe, thanks for the advice on the tire orientation. I actually already did that prior and made sure they are right directionally, but it's good to know I did it right! :)

With the above changes, the bike weighed in at 6.98kg (I was quite surprised to see the difference in weight!)

I just placed an order on a set of 3T Ergonova Team carbon bars, so I should be seeing a savings of close to 100g compared to the OE Ergonova. Those should be in on Monday. While I'm replacing the bars, I'm going to be cleaning up all the excess cables/housing from lowering my stem almost 20mm from factory. All that excess has been bunched up under the bars.

With all the above, that SHOULD get me in the mid 6.8kg range...

At this point, not really looking to change the chainset or cassette, but looking at new bottle cages (not really logical!) Saw some Elite carbon cages yesterday at my LBS. Thoughts?

Anyways, will update more next week w/ pics :)

jumbo505

by jumbo505

very nice!!

mchu004

by mchu004

Received my new bars and experienced first-hand the "joys" of internal cable routing through the frame (I wanted to remove excess cable housing and wires). Learning experience and better prepared for the future!

Comparison of the new bars compared to the OE version:
ImageDSC_7444-1 by mchu004, on Flickr

Weight of the OE Ergonova came in at 330g (44cm)
ImageDSC_7446-2 by mchu004, on Flickr

Weight of the Ergonova Team came in at 210g (44cm)
ImageDSC_7448-3 by mchu004, on Flickr

On the bike:
ImageDSC_7457-4 by mchu004, on Flickr

Love the new internal routing on these bars to keep everything nice and tidy sans tape
ImageDSC_7459-6 by mchu004, on Flickr

Finally got to remove excess cable housing/wires. You can also make out my Canyon Speedmax AL in the background :)
ImageDSC_7458-5 by mchu004, on Flickr

Wrapped it up with Fizik Superlight 2mm bartape and the final weight came in at 6.83kg
Image20151012_225202-1 by mchu004, on Flickr

I'll put up a new full bike shot in the next day or two.

Cheers!

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

I'll put up a new full bike shot in the next day or two.

Bumping for pics :up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com