Giant Propel Advanced SL W/ Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

MNX1024 wrote:Thank you everyone for your compliments.

CBJ wrote:Junction box on top of stem?

Yep, unfortunately my stem is too short for me to mount it on the bottom. Trying to figure out how to clean that messy part up... Was going to get a Tillquist mount, but to bad Morten doesn't seem them anymore :( . Anyone has suggestion for this?

Raceware makes a dedikated DI2 holder but i think it ads 5 mm under the stem. it holds the junction box under the stem.

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/carbo ... ox-holder/

It's for a normal size steerer, ut they might make a custom one

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Nicos

by Nicos

So nice in this color, I'm always jaloeous to see so nice propels :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bencolem

by bencolem

Nice, looks super clean, like it. Is that weight as pictured (with pedals)? Very impressed if it is, expected it to be at least mid-16lbs...

mrgray

by mrgray

looks awesome!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Alright everyone, time for a brief ride report as I took the bike out for the first time earlier today. Let's start with me being an idiot for forgetting to bring my multi-tool along with me even though I laid it out..... Was going to dial in the saddle height as I ride. Ended up riding with discomfort for 25miles/40km and being all over the place as I pedal, :oops:, though I was still able to average 21.5mph, :P.

So far, the Berk saddle works, but there's some slight discomfort that's probably due to how low I was sitting. Once I have my saddle height set up properly, that should go away. Have to say, the shape of the saddle conforms to my sit bone pretty well. It's not causing me some of the smaller issue that my S-Works Toupe gives me even though it has a stiffer surface due to the lack of padding.

Now, as for the aerodynamics, I've always been a skeptical person and don't believe one can "feel" the difference. Therefore, I'm just going to say I feel about the same. Though the air turbulence does sound smoother and not as rough as my TCR Advanced SL. Here's the thing, I did noticed that I am riding a 1 or 2 miles faster on certain stretch of today's ride, not sure how much of that is really attributed to the aerodynamic advantage I'm supposedly getting. As my power output is pretty much inline with my previous rides of the same route with my TCR and it's about 5-10 watt higher too. Could be I'm just getting stronger as the season is going by. Also, there's barely any headwind today. Another difference is that I'm running a 52/36 on the Propel versus a 53/39 my TCR. Since I have a high cadence riding style, possibly easier spin up?

Compared to my TCR, I feel that the TCR is actually stiffer and more responsive, especially with handling. Though I am riding a much lower profile rim compared to the Propel, 34 versus 52. Hence, more steering torque? The Propel does accelerate smoothly, but doesn't have that snap the TCR have, where you pedal and it just launches. This is much more noticeable when getting out of saddle and sprinting.

loudtiger wrote:That's a great looking bike. Very understated with the white, and looks fast on those wheels. What size is your frame and what is your bb -> saddle height?

That's a size S. The saddle height is currently at 712mm, but will be raising that by about 5mm very soon. Still trying to dial that in as my other bike uses a different saddle and pedal, couldn't just copy that height.

xntrickly wrote:Beautiful bike sir!! Been looking all over for a much lower weight seatmast topper but haven't found anything but if you do please give me a shout!!! I love my Propel sl but to tell the truth need a more flexible saddle because yowsa this thing is solid !!

Enjoy.

Same here, that thing is a porker! If you ask me, that thing basically cancelled all the weight saving the ISP provides.... Ironically the one that comes with the bike is the smallest topper Giant makes. They only have larger one. Think our only route is getting a custom carbon topper from some one.

CBJ wrote:Agree a real shame Morten is not making any mounts. I have one and love it.

Bar fly makes a nice Di2 junction box and Garmin holder that integrates with Fizik and 3T stems

http://www.barflybike.com/shop/integrated-mounts/fizik/

My issue is that I'm running an Edge 1000, it limits a lot of my choices. I've been looking at Barfly's new SLI mount, but I really can't get past myself to spend an extra $16 on top of a $30 for the mount for a piece plastic just so I can mount the junction box..... I'm close to biting the bullet now as I really can't stand the height that my Garmin sits at with the original Garmin mount.

Martin.dk wrote:Raceware makes a dedikated DI2 holder but i think it ads 5 mm under the stem. it holds the junction box under the stem.

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/carbo ... ox-holder/

It's for a normal size steerer, ut they might make a custom one
/Martin

Sadly, I can't use that even if they're willing to make a custom one. My stem sits directly on top of my bearing covers and I'm considering slamming my stem because there probably not enough drop to be comfortable for me.

bencolem wrote:Nice, looks super clean, like it. Is that weight as pictured (with pedals)? Very impressed if it is, expected it to be at least mid-16lbs...

Yes, that is the weight of bike exactly as pictured.

emcardle

by emcardle

Really nice bike! What do you think of the bars?

CH4K1

by CH4K1

MNX1024 wrote:Been a member here for a while, but never really posted in this section of the forum due to my laziness. Anyway, here's my newly built 2015 Giant Propel Advanced SL with Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2. Weight is 15.75 lb or 7144 grams. Really wanted it to go below 15lb/6.8kg, but couldn't justify spending more to do it when this will not be my primary bike and won't be ridden as much. Guess my consolation is my main bike, the TCR Advanced SL is below that weight, :lol:.

So, here are some pictures for everyone to enjoy.

Wow wow wow!!
Is fantastic ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Rails look much better than Zipps! Nice Propel! Shame we didn't see that colour way here in NZ.

How are you getting on with the reach on your bars? I have a set of Aerotundos waiting to go on a build but the reach is pretty long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk