kevosinn's Cryptic Addict 4.64 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

This has been a fun project. The goal was to showcase some of the services I offer at Cryptic Cycles. The frame received our arcane finishing treatment with full paint removal and lightweight paint/graphics as well as a bar and stem combo. Also featuring some heavy component tuning.

Frame: 56 cm Scott addict paint stripped-750 grams
Fork: Scott addict-312 grams
wheels: Reynolds KOM rims, DT spokes and C4 hubs-983 grams
Shifters: tuned sram red (no paint, custom hoods, titanium clamps)
FD: tuned campy record titanium (drilled body, plastic limit screws)
RD: tuned RED (drilled body, carbon pulleys, plastic limit screws, custom barrel adjuster) -108 grams
Brake calipers: Zero G---soon to be THM fibula
Crank/rings: lightning crank with extralite rings
tires: velo flex record-225 grams
seat: one piece post/seat-110 grams
Seat post: one piece post/seat 110 grams
stem: ax lightness Zeus-69 grams
Bar: Schmolke-149 grams

This is how I bought the bike. A steal at $1200 complete with under 500 miles on it.

The "final" product at this stage. Still changing brakes, tires and a few other things to get it under 4500 grams!

Last edited by kevosinn on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Which route will you take to strip the paint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I'm not 100 percent sure yet. Im going to do some research. I remeber a thread here talking about it. Going to try to dig it up
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

RyanH

by RyanH

Frankie B had a good writeup in his build thread on using carbo lift. Having done the razor blade method, I think I'd try to carbolift next. Just doing a stem and fork took forever.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Ya I actually just found that thread. I'm going to email carbo-lift and see how shipping is to the U.S.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

ok am I missing anything here? pretty sure I covered everything. frame and fork weight are a guesstimate after paint removal but frame may be on the hopeful side.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Be careful when using Carbolift. I recently stripped a Scott Addict using Carbolift also. Look up "Scott Addict R1 Singlespeed" in the weight weenie forums. When you begin stripping your carbon frame, you will find that there is quite a bit of filler used to fill the gaps before being painted over. This smooth surface is necessary before applying paint or clear coat. What the Carbolift did on my frame was eat through the filler leaving me with an uneven surface so to speak. This does not really affect the structure of the frame and is purely cosmetic. The only problem you will encounter is when attempting to clear coat or re paint the frame you will get pits (little holes) on the surface. Thus, you will need to reapply the filler, re sand, then re paint.

Wet sanding is the best method in my opinion. Use the carbolift on the tough to reach places where you can't reach with sand paper.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Ok awesome advice! I'll wet sand most and Carbo-lift everywhere else.

fitty4

by fitty4

Pedals? Opti coat 2.0 could be an option for frame protection, I think it added 2 gr. on my frame.

xena
Banned

by xena

I used a blade and wet sanded....carbo lift is great for getting decals off etc but lifting paint off a carbon frame its a pain in the as&
Some decent gloves ,or you hands will end up a mess.
If your leaving naked use aero 303 for protection UVA etc

Why don't you go for a seat post combo instead of the Dash/ax...way overpriced.
Tune skewers 19grms ...They work fine, no issues.
I have zipp bars,,they weighed 190 ...I cut a lot off the ends at 30/35grms, 150/55grms now
If you get some of the old Tune outer housing ,,,,cut the casing off ,it leaves you with a white inner shell . it weighs zilch.
then use powercordz ....way lighter than any Mini I links etc .
and cheap as well.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

hasbeen

by hasbeen

and where might one find some Tune housing???
this will be a fun thread to watch! good luck.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

xena wrote:I used a blade and wet sanded....carbo lift is great for getting decals off etc but lifting paint off a carbon frame its a pain in the as&
Some decent gloves ,or you hands will end up a mess.
If your leaving naked use aero 303 for protection UVA etc

Why don't you go for a seat post combo instead of the Dash/ax...way overpriced.
Tune skewers 19grms ...They work fine, no issues.
I have zipp bars,,they weighed 190 ...I cut a lot off the ends at 30/35grms, 150/55grms now
If you get some of the old Tune outer housing ,,,,cut the casing off ,it leaves you with a white inner shell . it weighs zilch.
then use powercordz ....way lighter than any Mini I links etc .
and cheap as well.

Ok awesome advice let me explain a few things that I'm doing! Seat/post I already had from a previous build but my plan was a combo eventually. I already have the I links and I was planning on using powercords but I will be looking for tune housing now. Any ideas where?

xena
Banned

by xena

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Tune-Bowde ... 234705449c

You can cut then black outer off...I just pushed the white part and it slid out.

I was using all kinds of crazy light plastic tubing "to much flex" but found this worked the best "less flex"

You could make a combo with your seat and post.
Ed made mine from my fav seat and a post I bought that was quite light ...you can see it here ,go down the page.
http://londoncarbonrepairs.co.uk/2014/11/

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Awesome!! Thanks for the link just ordered it. Also just picked up an AX Zeus stem now to find a bar. Goal is to do a really light combo.

xena
Banned

by xena

kevosinn wrote:Awesome!! Thanks for the link just ordered it. Also just picked up an AX Zeus stem now to find a bar. Goal is to do a really light combo.

I always fancied having a addict build, great looking frames,,,its going to be great, look forward to seeing how it progress's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com