kevosinn's Cryptic Addict 4.64 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Very interesting build, I like it!
The paint stripping and attention to detail on the frame is impeccable. This has to be one of the top 'paint stripping' executions I've seen (and no one says it's easy).
The build itself checks all the uber-light checkboxes on WW with the aerolite pedals, cranks, housing, integrated seatpost, brakes, skewers, and the Red derailleur tuned to the max.
The Addict is a solid frame/fork combo so if the wheels are stiff enough and the pedals work for you and the shifting is quick and accurate - then this bike is top notch.
If it were me, I'd swap the Tune Skyline bottle cage for the traditional Tune version. I've tried the Skyline for maybe 2 rides and switched it immediately as it doesn't grip the bottles nearly as well (or causes bottles to get stuck). The traditional cage adds 2 grams perhaps, but I've only lost 4 bottles in 4 years and I ride off-road frequently, typically 2-10% of every ride. Perhaps the Skyline can be tuned with sandpaper or other fix, but the classic Tune cage functions perfectly without such hassles.
Last edited by jvanv8 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Thank you so much for the kind words!! I totally agree on the cage situation. This cage was 4 grams so maybe I'll keep it as the "show" cage lol. I have a regular tune one I'll throw on for sure.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

I use skyline cage. I find if anything the bottle gets stuck and is impossible to pull out.
I put a little bit of tape in strategic points and it works very well.
You do have to use Tacx bottles.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Ok I think I came up with a solution for the cage. Going to try it here in the next day or so and report back. Will allow me to use any bottle.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Multebear

by Multebear

This bike looks awesome. Big kudos.

I'm just a little bit concerned about how comfortable it is. How many km do you ride a week? And do you get problems with back/neck/crotch pain during/after your training?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

thanks! The position is actually mild on this compared to my other bikes. Over the years I have always liked a slammed stem with a more aggressive position. I went out for 40 miles to shake it down yesterday and was extremely comfortable. Also I will say this may be the most comfortable seat shape ive ridden. Seems to fit me perfect.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. This is a reply.

McGilli

by McGilli

Lots of respect to people who can take their time and build a bike like this... Your shifters look familiar... Did you have a blog about doing your shifters and the derailleurs? I have one bookmarked and I'm sure it's you.

Anyways - I'm bookmarking this thread too. Come winter time I want to shave 300g (To get it 4.9kg) and looking at your build I've identified how to do that on my bike... Thanks :)

xena
Banned

by xena

kevosinn wrote:Ok I think I came up with a solution for the cage. Going to try it here in the next day or so and report back. Will allow me to use any bottle.

I have an idea what you are going to do...I think. I wont say anything until I see.

Did you see my shifters from the front I took loads of material away ,,,not sure how far you went but mine work fine.

check them out here
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Time for an updated build list I think

Ellingferd

by Ellingferd

A few questions about razor stripping the frame....I have a BMC frame I'd like to do this to, and I've razored other parts (shifters, crank, etc.) so I have experience with those, but Im hesitant to start on the frame because, obviously, its structural integrity is much more important than my brake lever. So, that being said, I've always experienced a tiny bit of carbon being scraped, which is how you know you've removed all clear/paint. Is it safe to assume this is ok? Obviously you should stop there, and looking through this thread at your process it seems this was also your experience. Just looking for some tips before diving into this one. Thanks!

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

This is mindblowingly awesome. Love it!
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Ellingferd wrote: Just looking for some tips before diving into this one. Thanks!

me too, paint is so heavy :lol: seriously though, I don't know why more frames come just clear-coated bare carbon. Especially with carbon where the layup has unique distinct characteristics.

Ellingferd

by Ellingferd

Yeah, not so much for weight savings, but aesthetics. I have an 09 team machine slt 01 and I'd like to see those carbon tubes rather than the red/white paint (which is chipping off anyways) which is so generic. I think I'm going to black out the aluminum lugs as well.....

McGilli

by McGilli

wojchiech wrote:
Ellingferd wrote: Just looking for some tips before diving into this one. Thanks!

me too, paint is so heavy :lol: seriously though, I don't know why more frames come just clear-coated bare carbon. Especially with carbon where the layup has unique distinct characteristics.

Totally love the raw, messy carbon layup lookLike what this Cervelo S5 looks like under the paint...

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

McGilli- I know what blog you're talking about. I think its called the climb. Thats not mine but ive read through that also.

Xena- Those look amazing with that whole build. I will be removing more soon for sure.

Derek- Updated the first post now

Ellingferd- With something this big you really start to get the hang of stripping all the paint and when to stop or keep going. I say to start out slow dragging the razor one way and go until you reach the carbon. It will look, feel and sound different once you reach the carbon. Once you are comfortable you can start dragging it both ways back and forth but dont try this until you are comfortable doing it quickly. It has to be done fast or it doesnt work well. Regarding the small bit of carbon dust you see I wont say its hurting it and as you go it will happen less and less as you get the hang of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com