Ritchey P-650B

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Everyone

by Everyone

Completed this build Dec '13 and I've been riding and racing it since then, I've not seen many of these on here so I thought I'd throw mine to the wolves to be judged!
I absolutely love this bike, climbs really well and descends faster than I can.

Build:
Ritchey P-650b, 17"
White Brothers Loop fork (100mm)
SRAM X01 cranks with 34T absoluteblack spiderless oval chainring
XT cassette and chain
SRAM shifter and rear mech (X0 & X9 respectively)
Hope hubs on crests with Schwalbe Ron + Ralph (both snakeskin)
Ritchey WCS finishing kit
Hope Tech X2 brakes + KCNC Razor rotors
Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle
King Ti bottle cage
ESI chunky grips

Weight comes out at 10.57kg so not a particularly WW build! I'm definitely planning on trying to get sub 10kg but I'm not sure what the most cost effective replacements would be. I know that I want to get some new forks since the Loops are pretty weighty (around 1.8kg IIRC) and I'd like to build up some race wheels with carbon rims etc.

Any advice on any quick wins would be much appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Very cool bike! I really like the classy look and colorscheme, it reminds me of Thomas Frischknecht's worldcup wins. Good times :)

How is the comfort and stiffness of the frame?
Ride it like you stole it

Everyone

by Everyone

Thanks a lot! I know what you mean about handling etc but sometimes it's nice to have a target to aim for. I've not been able to feel any flex when I'm giving it some and the steel really does make a difference.

I think my next upgrade might be a carbon post, purely for the added bit of flex and comfort I should get out of it.

drider85

by drider85

Glad to see another Ritchey lover. I love my Ritchey! Carbon finishing kit would drop a lot of weight. Also a 26" Fox fork is a lot lighter then the Loop and fits a 27.5/650b wheel. Lastly the XT cassette is quite heavy a XG1080 would be a lot lighter. Durability of that cassette has been better then I hoped (~1200 miles so far). My Ritchey is 9.8kg set up 2x.

Tom did a really good job balancing comfort and stiffness. I would put the ride toward the stiffer side of steel. I notice the classic steel flex or liveliness when it is ridden more aggressively. A really short seat tube allows for lots of comfort from the seatpost. Of what I have ridden I would say that the ride is stiffer then a Karate Monkey or a Kona Unit but not as stiff as a El mariachi. The Salsa was too stiff like bad aluminum. I have been racing mine for 2 seasons now and I don't think I would replace mine with anything else.

Everyone

by Everyone

Yea I've got a WCS carbon bar on there at the moment (I'm not sure how legit it is though, it's a gloss UD finish and I've not been able to find anything else like it, I've added a pic anyway). Some new forks are definitely on the cards when I get the money but I'm not sure whether to get something like a Formula ThirtyThree/Fox or to get a Lefty. I'd really like to get some carbon race wheels with nice light hubs as well, I'd certainly put a lighter cassette on those.

At some point I'd be tempted to go 11s with XTR shifter + mech and XT cassette when it's released.

kgt

by kgt

My favorite 650B frame by far!

Everyone

by Everyone

You'll make me blush with compliments like those!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Very nice but I'm partial to skinny-classic steel frames!