My 2015 Giant Defy SL-0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Benno

by Benno

Some tweaks and maintenance to my Defy that I have done so far this winter. Starting to get antsy. Have a trip planned to South Carolina in April which is the next time this beauty will be ridden.

Finally got rid of those awful quick connect hydraulic fittings up front. Also installed some clear paint protection film on the head tube to protect from brake hose rub.

Modified my Mandible cage to clear my front derailleur and seat tube bulge so that I could get rid of the water bottle stand-offs and also mount the cage in the lower position. Installed some Probolt alu bottle cage bolts. Amazing quality bolts, not in love with the colour. Maybe should have stayed with black.

Installed some Probolt Ti brake bolts. Again, absolutely amazing quality but not thrilled with my choice of colour.

Other than that I switched out the Giant P-SLR1 tires for Michelin staying with 25c. Switched the KMC chain for Shimano. Installed new Prologo bar tape. And lastly replaced my BB with a screw together Wheels Manufacturing one to protect my frame from inevitably being damaged from an inferior "press fit" design.

Oh ya I still need to weigh the thing again to see where it's at now. Unfortunately my two scales recently died so I'll have to order some new ones. Probably still very close to 6.8 kilos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

it is not clear to me, but does the screw together Wheels Manufacturing BB needs any press tools to install, the instructions suggest using a press as well as 16-notch MegoEvo BB, but (to me) that negates some of the 'installation ease' of screw together style BB.

did you use a press?

Benno

by Benno

No press required for me. In fact I've never needed a press to install any BB86/92 which is why I think it's such a joke they're called press fit. More like drop in.
The screw together will press themselves in if you have a tight BB. You just need the wrenches like you say. I bought two and they were like $20 each I think. Also I used some Loctite 601 on the cups to ensure a good fit.

jeffy

by jeffy

Wondered if you have managed to work out if you can just swap over to Dura Ace di2hydro levers (and use the same 785 calipers) or if you have to use DA calipers. The DA and 785 are the same weight, and the only-lever swap out is a little easier.

jeffy

by jeffy

apparently they are ....

Benno

by Benno

Yeah I'm sure they'd be compatible. There are also two different hydraulic hoses. The new ones have a smaller ID which is supposed to make the brakes more responsive. I installed those when I went with the xtr calipers. I would guess that R9170 uses BH90 hose.
Old hose BH59 stock on R785
New hose BH90

jeffy

by jeffy

Benno wrote:
New hose BH90

that's really useful information, thanks.

I am looking at going from mech685 to DA di2.

Do you find you had issues with rattling levers on 785? I heard it was a common problem.

Benno

by Benno

I would say they do rattle on rough road but honestly I can count on one hand the number of times I found it annoying and I'm pretty OCD about rattles. I'm sure I could take them apart and stop the rattle if it ever got to me.