by CBJ

Nice weight on the wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

It's mostly down to the ridiculously light weight of the Extralite hubs. I did have some creaking from the front hub when I first got the wheels because the disc side flange is a floating design, but a drop of oil and the creaking was gone. Also the rear hub spoke mounting is a little too wide and my essentially XT disc caliper was rubbing the spokes. So I just went to town with my dremel and took some material off the caliper. The clearance is still tight but have had no issues in about 1000km. Just something to look out for on these disc road bikes. The industry is still teething.
Not to beat a dead horse but sweet lawd geezus the braking is so nice on this bike. The ashima rotors are very abrasive which I like as it delivers great cold bite. Especially combined with Jagwire pads, they have a very metallic feel and great feedback.

Benno

by Benno

Look ma, no wires!

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Details please!;) Nice bike and a lovely paintjob

Benno

by Benno

As quoted from my post in another forum :-)

"It's not a modification for the faint of heart. I am turning 30 this year so thought it was a good idea to start taking more risks. Who wants to live forever?
I drilled 2 holes on the flat section of the handlebar on either side where the shift wires could enter. I drilled a larger center hole where the 2 shift wires could enter the stem. I put the junction box in the stem. I drilled a hole from the stem to the steerer and drilled another hole lower in the steerer to pass the single wire into the down tube.
I have to remove my handlebars in order to charge the unit. Adjustments can be made via my Edge 1000."

lewdvig

by lewdvig

IMO that is the prettiest 2015 bike in GIANT's range. Great choice.If you are comfy on your bike you'll be fast.

I'd really like to get my hands on a set of those wheels. Can you post a guide? Are you in BC, Canada? Curious what the wheels came out to after taxes/duties.

I am pretty unhappy with my Obrea Avant after riding 230 km this weekend. I'm not sure if I will invest in tweaks or just get a Defy. I had a TCR that I cracked a few years ago, it was the best bike I've ever owned. I was angry that it cracked, so tried other brands (Scott and Orbea). But I'm thinking I'd like another GIANT now. The GIANT is one of the few bikes I've ever kept more than a season too. These new Defy models are awesome.
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

Benno

by Benno

Thanks. I agree the bike is gorgeous. As soon as I saw it I had to have it being a very long time Giant fan boy. I was even all set to buy a really nice Scott Addict but I'm glad I went for the Defy.
As for the wheels, I think they were about $1000 USD not including the rims which were about another $400 USD shipped. Fair Wheel Bikes built them up for me and supplied the hubs/spokes. So far they've been pretty good. I've had to retension them and clearance between the spokes and rear caliper is zero (I had to grind down the caliper) But they are light and easy to service. I'll be building something similar for my new mountain bike.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Very nice looking bike! I agree with what lewdvig said in that this is the best looking Giant of 2015. Great weigh for a hydraulic disc build too.
James

CBJ

by CBJ

wow I had not seen you had moved the wires internally very cool!

I have started shopping around after some lighter dics wheels. Still not sure what I will end up with.

F45

by F45

Nice job on hiding the wires. Does the wire sticking out of the steerer inhibit the range of motion in turning the wheel?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Adjustments can only be made by pushing the button on the jb......

Benno

by Benno

Yes you're right about the adjustments, I just assumed since the screen popped up on the Garmin when you pressed the button that I would be able to access the screen without pushing the button. Not a big deal though it really doesn't require adjustment.
As for limiting the movement, not at all. There is a ton of room internally between the frame and steerer. Just leave some cable slack.
Honestly it does freak me out a little having holes in the steerer. Was thinking about bonding a few wraps of carbon cloth in the area just for a little reinforcement. It looks soooooo much better though with the hidden wires.
Probably do the same with the new di2 mtb build.

jeffy

by jeffy

Benno wrote: Jagwire pads

what pads are you using. didn't know there were other options other than the ice-tech (or clones) finned

Benno

by Benno

I don't use finned pads. I brake hard and short, I never drag my brakes just due to the short hills around here so I don't need the extra cooling capacity.
There are tons of companies that make brake pads. The Jagwire ones I use have the gold aluminum backing plate.

Benno

by Benno

Double post
Last edited by Benno on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com