My New F8 Dogma BoB - 1000 miles and counting...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

+1
Either the frame is too big (which is in my eyes) or the overall fit needs to be reconsidered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

samereid

by samereid

They do offer zero setback posts for the Dogam F8. It costs $400. Decided not to buy it for aesthetic only. Actually, the seat is in the most forward position.

samereid

by samereid

kgt wrote:+1
Either the frame is too big (which is in my eyes) or the overall fit needs to be reconsidered.

What would coniser changing in the fit? I am 6'3''. I recently did a retro fitting with Retul and they suggested I move my seat forward. They even asked me to buy a zero setback seat post to move the seat even more forward.....I am now now getting used to this set up.....

samereid

by samereid

BlackMadone wrote:Thanks yours is too! The way they ride is incredible it almost feels like I'm getting a tow and I'm riding by myself! Great aero, so fast!

:thumbup:

Multebear

by Multebear

bearman wrote:Size and setup look really strange... huge frame, low seat post, seat set forward. Wrong size frame?!

+ 1

Looks like the frame is too big. OP you could benefit from a smaller frame, to get the saddle position centered, and a longer stem if needed.

Are your hoods level with the saddle? You don't want a more aggressive position?

fa63

by fa63

Again, I will have to disagree with those suggesting that the frame is too big, especially on the basis of the saddle rail clamping position. Sizing down might change the seat tube angle by half a degree (steeper), but that would merely mean the saddle would move forward by 5 mm or so (all else being equal) and still a zero setback seatpost would be needed to center the rails. Also, the OP already seems to be running a decently long stem (looks like a 120 to me), and there are quite a few spacers below the stem. Sizing down would mean even more spacers and/or an upturned stem.

kgt

by kgt

Smaller frame - no setback seatpost would maybe an ideal fit but I would also ride it as it is instead of paying $400!

plasticol

by plasticol

That frame is definitely too big. There are no pros with a set up like that. There is not enough seat post show, there is not enough drop.
A smaller frame would allow you to put the seat closer to the middle, you can put the seat a hair lower and the handlebar 1 cm or more lower, it would have more seat post show and it would look aesthetically so much better.

Multebear

by Multebear

fa63 wrote:Again, I will have to disagree with those suggesting that the frame is too big, especially on the basis of the saddle rail clamping position. Sizing down might change the seat tube angle by half a degree (steeper), but that would merely mean the saddle would move forward by 5 mm or so (all else being equal) and still a zero setback seatpost would be needed to center the rails. Also, the OP already seems to be running a decently long stem (looks like a 120 to me), and there are quite a few spacers below the stem. Sizing down would mean even more spacers and/or an upturned stem.

Maybe you are right, but a bike should not look like that, unless you are very weirdly proportioned. It's IMO the most beautiful frame on the market right now, but it's ruined visually by the way it's build.

Smaller frame would make a shorter toptube and thus a centered saddle on the seatpostclamp. I agree that with the same amount of spacers and same stem, it would make a more aggressive position due to the shorter headtube. And that is why I asked OP about a more aggressive position.

OP can partially fix it by installing a shorter stem and move the saddle back.

Alfie22

by Alfie22

It is obvious that it's too big for you...

fa63

by fa63

Multebear wrote:Smaller frame would make a shorter toptube and thus a centered saddle on the seatpost clamp.

As I explained before, a smaller frame alone would not accomplish that. In this case, a smaller frame with a shorter top tube would just mean a bigger drop and longer stem.

Multebear wrote:OP can partially fix it by installing a shorter stem and move the saddle back.

That is not how bike fitting works. You establish the saddle position relative to the bottom bracket first (setback), then you adjust for reach using the appropriate length stem. So the saddle needs to be where it needs to be; can't just move it forward or backward arbitrarily.

Perhaps the more accurate observation here is that the Dogma F8 is not the optimal frame choice for the OP given his preferred fit. This is a race bike with aggressive geometry, and maybe a more relaxed geometry frame would have been better suited. Personally though, I am not bothered by the amount of seatpost showing and the spacers; whatever works. The only thing I would change is a zero-setback seatpost for aesthetic reasons.

samereid

by samereid

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I am 6'3", weigh 205 lbs, and pretty proportional. I am very flexible and have no problem going into aggressive fit. I am used to long endurance rides (80-100 miles) and fast short rides (20+ mph, 30-40 miles). Last year I rode 8300 miles and I am at 3600 miles since Jan 1st this year.

Since I posted the pics, I have lowered my handle bars 2 cm and can afford lowering further if needed. I was really surprised by my the retul fit that suggested I should move my saddle forward by a whopping 6 cm. Unfortunately the current saddle couldn't accommodate this change and it's in its most forward position. I am still not convinced about the saddle being as forward and would be happy to move it backward a little. For my height I think the frame size (59.5) is perfect but please let me know if need to go smaller as I am fortunate enough to be able to swap the current frame for a smaller one.

I will post couple of pictures with me riding it to show you the fit. As I mentioned since the pics were taken I have lowered the bars by 2 cm and I'm flexible enough to consider lowering more. Do you guys think I should get the zero setback seat post? I could convince the bike shop to send it at their expense since they told me if the bike does not fit the'be happy to accommodate.

kgt

by kgt

Keep in mind that not everyone can advice towards a proper fit. Many LBS are self-introduced as fit experts but the reality is that very few actually know, or care, how to do set a right fit.

saibot

by saibot

kgt wrote:Keep in mind that not everyone can advice towards a proper fit. Many LBS are self-introduced as fit experts but the reality is that very few actually know, or care, how to do set a right fit.

Unlike the experts on here that can determine a good fit vs a bad fit without even having seen the rider on the bike ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Sometimes, yes, you can determine a good fit vs a bad fit without even having seen the rider on the bike.