UPDATE! My Chinese Dream Bike Now 5.07kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

aronjancso wrote:Great build! The lightest Chinese bike I've seen. What are the depth and width of the Farsports rims?
Going under 10 lbs will be tough, I guess you will have to get new wheels to achieve that. My bar tape is Circus Monkey eva foam tape, its 25 g, so you can save a bit there for $10, rest of the upgrades seem very expensive.

Bars look a bit strange with that huge reach from drops to levers, how is that comfortable?

All the Circus Monkey eva tapes I see are 40+ grams, got a link to the one you are talking about ? Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aronjancso

by aronjancso

Bought it on Ebay, it was listed at 44g, but came under spec and it was really long, so it came out to be 25 g when cut to length.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I Will be getting a new Saddle, new bolts and clamps for the seat post, a new seat clamp, new quick releases, and a new wheelset in the mail today. The quick releases are being made by my friend down at Coast Cutters Co. and I'm excited to see the final weight. I hope to have it down to 5kg by tomorrow.
i will post pictures tomorrow or late tonight.

xena
Banned

by xena

adrianlmp1246 wrote:Hello xena,
The Wi Fli is amazing, there is no chain rub on any of the gears, and it can handle 50x32 beautifully. However there is a slight downside to it; I don't know why but every month and a half or so I have to adjust the RD from shifting kind of funny. I run Sram Wi Fli on all my bikes, but this is the only one that has given me any problems. I've owned all my bikes for roughly 6 months now, and I haven't had to adjust the RD on any of the other bikes since installation, except for this one. I can't seem to figure out why though. IF you have any ideas, please let me know

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of wi Fli for next build. :thumbup:
As for your cable adjust. Is the cable stretching a bit? I have this issue even with Powercordz on my Red "short cage"
Have you checked for slippage on the cable. Just make a mark on the cable and you would be able to tell if there has been cable movement.

Your bike is the best Chinese bike on the site IMO. Great build and a real nice looking frame. Keep up the good work some nice WW touches.

:beerchug:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

sm4100

by sm4100

Beautiful bike! Congrats

Although my bike is much heavier than yours I do have some lighter components that might help you to achieve the weight you want, (check them out):

Bottle Cages 13.3g (Smud Carbon) = 9.5 (bolth)

Expander/cap/spacers 40g (Extralite 2 Star nut 6.8g + Extralite Cap w/ bolt 2.8g + spacers 10g) = 19.6g

Rear Derailleur(WiFli) 166g (not WiFli version) = 143g (may not work for your setup)

Red Cassette 11-32 196g (Omni Racer Titanium 11-25) = 110g

Quick Releases 35g (This is scary light, I had one set with 40g and the wheels were twisting against the frame on every sprint, heard few horror stories then I changed them for a 55g thicker Ti set)

Handlebars(40cm) 160g (My handlebar was 157g and cracked after 100 km, yours is probably much better in quality though)

Handlebar tape 66g (Alero PU/EVA foam, after cut) = 35g

Chain 246g (KMC 11s after size adj.) = 220g (maybe you mentioned the weight of full link)

Tires 560g (Vittoria Corsa SR 24, love this tire) = 510g

Maybe some of the items above will not work for you but at least you can have an idea, this is 200+ grams saving

I have a Chinese R-41 with aero 50/60mm wheelset + Powertap G3 and the whole bike is 6038g not too bad for a heavy aero frame (957g) + fork (384) so I think you can easily lower the weight on your bike.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

3g(34.9) seat clamp, not happy with he finish. the carbon is splintering, but maybe thats why its so light.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I thought my KCNC Skewers where light but these are scary light!

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

New Saddle, along with lighter screws and clamps for the seatpost.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

834g for the wheelset, not including tires and 11-32t cassette. Built with Extralite Cyberhubs

Last edited by adrianlmp1246 on Sat May 30, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Were those the Farsport 20mm tubs with Extralite hubs? Are they straight pull spokes? how much did those QRs set you back and do they sell to the general public? Got a link?

danbjpa

by danbjpa

you change the seatclamp? i think saw other yesterday and i was ask if the old are a Carbonice Eva 2.0.
could you tell me the height of the twos seatclamp? i'm searching for a 12mm height with minimalistic design like mcfk (they dont produce seatclamp anymore).
they tighten the seatpost firmly (without slippage)?

Nice bike and weight!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

Hello xena,
Keep in mind that if you are running a 32t in the back, The shifting might be kinda funny if you don't have Sram rings. I have heard stories of people having to mess with the FD for a while, me being one of them, so the little ring up front can make the jump to the big ring, while using the big ring in the back. Once you figure it out it should shift fine.

Thank you for the advice, ill check the slippage as soon as I can.

hahah, Thank you for the comment. 8)

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

Hi sm4100,

thank you for the list of light components.
i have been intrested in Smud carbon for a while now, but i have no idea how to purchase their product. How do you get your hands on them?

As for the cassette, i would like to keep the 11-32t, I know Recon make a pair but i am unsure of how it preforms.

what kind of handlebars did you have?

For tires, I was thinking about the Tufo elite jet 160g. They claim each tire is 160g dead or money back, I'm a bit nervous about riding on tires so light though.

Do you have a like to your bike?

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

Yes, My gf was riding on my Farsport 30mmx21mm and got a stick stuck in spokes, breaking 4 of them. We had to ride back home so I managed tension the spokes with my key enough so the wheel wouldn't wobble so badly. We rode 8 miles without the wheel collapsing, so i decided to trust farsports build quality and bought the 834g version.
yes, they are Sapim cx ray straight pull spokes.

they set me back $40 bucks, My friend Josh and his uncle Steve own a top machine shop down here is CA, they made some drills that went on the NASA rover and have made some other parts for JPL. I don't think they will sell them to the general public as of now. their shop that was located in El Monte burned down and they relocated and are super backed up on orders for their big clients.
I've known him a long time and he didn't want me to pay, but i just ended up pay for materials.

sm4100

by sm4100

adrianlmp1246 wrote:Hi sm4100,

thank you for the list of light components.
i have been intrested in Smud carbon for a while now, but i have no idea how to purchase their product. How do you get your hands on them?

As for the cassette, i would like to keep the 11-32t, I know Recon make a pair but i am unsure of how it preforms.

what kind of handlebars did you have?

For tires, I was thinking about the Tufo elite jet 160g. They claim each tire is 160g dead or money back, I'm a bit nervous about riding on tires so light though.

Do you have a like to your bike?

Smud carbon is very hard to get because it's about one-guy company and he does every single part on his own. So it takes ages to receive but they are literally hand made one by one with great quality. You can search for his website smud-carbon.

The Recon cassette is alloy and will last only 150 km. The best 11-32 available is the one you have already.

My handlebar was 3T Chinese made that's why I can't really compare weight with yours.

In the beginning I thought of Tufos 160 and 190 but after reading a lot of bad reviews about durability, poor puncture resistance I decided not to save weight in this area. These are basically race-day tires I wouldn't recommend for training. It is not worth the hassle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com