UPDATE! My Chinese Dream Bike Now 5.07kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NorwegianViking

by NorwegianViking

Impressive build :thumbup:
Never heard of Coast Cutters Quick Releases/Skewers though, where can these be bought?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

adrianlmp1246 wrote:they set me back $40 bucks, My friend Josh and his uncle Steve own a top machine shop down here is CA, they made some drills that went on the NASA rover and have made some other parts for JPL. I don't think they will sell them to the general public as of now. their shop that was located in El Monte burned down and they relocated and are super backed up on orders for their big clients.
I've known him a long time and he didn't want me to pay, but i just ended up pay for materials.

Let us know how they go, but would be keen if you twist their arm to make some more in black!

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Nice build. Impressive weight.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

What cages are those? Thanks.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

Smud carbon is very hard to get because it's about one-guy company and he does every single part on his own. So it takes ages to receive but they are literally hand made one by one with great quality. You can search for his website smud-carbon.

The Recon cassette is alloy and will last only 150 km. The best 11-32 available is the one you have already.

My handlebar was 3T Chinese made that's why I can't really compare weight with yours.

In the beginning I thought of Tufos 160 and 190 but after reading a lot of bad reviews about durability, poor puncture resistance I decided not to save weight in this area. These are basically race-day tires I wouldn't recommend for training. It is not worth the hassle.

sm4100, how do i get your user her to appear instead of it saying "Quote:''?

Thank you fro the reply, have you heard any good reviews on the bottle cages? Tune has some cages that are similar to the Smud one, but i was afraid my bottle would slip out since the cages have no bottom, that was the main reason i didn't pull the trigger on the Tune cages. I ride with 2 bottles and have to deal with pretty rough roads, so my bottles staying in place is my biggest concern. It seems like the bottle would slip out easily from the seat tube cage.

Have you heard anything about the KCNC Cassettes?

People give Tufo's a lot of crap, but i think they are pretty good tires. I have a pair that i use on my S Works tarmac daily, and they have lasted me 6 months with no punctures what so ever. One of the guys that I ride with Had a pair of 160's that lasted him 3 months before he got a slash the Tufo sealant couldn't fix. You are right though, the 160's would be a hassle if I don't get lucky and keep getting pairs that puncture after a few rides.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

NorwegianViking
Impressive build :thumbup:
Never heard of Coast Cutters Quick Releases/Skewers though, where can these be bought?

At the moment I am the only person with the only 4 pairs of Coast Cutters skewers 8)
The company is a Tool machining shop owned by my friend Josh and his uncle Steve. They made 4 of the drills that went on the NASA Mars rover and they have also made other tools for JPL. My friend rides daily and his uncle raced back in the 80's, so they have a passion for cycling. When i started this project i through out the idea of them making lightweight skewers since they have a lot CNC machines.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

dereksmalls
Let us know how they go, but would be keen if you twist their arm to make some more in black!

I took them out two days in a row, the first day was 50 and the second 80, both days on rough road. On the first days after the ride the skewers were still on with a death grip, but on the second day I noticed they were starting to loosen up slightly.

All black is a very cool idea. I am also a fan of the black/copper look my KCNC skewers have. We are trying to make a sub 20g pair of skewers, but we have no idea how to achieve that. My friend and I can't wrap our head around how to make the weight any lower without using carbon in the build process like Tune does.

My Friend and his uncle have a lot of CNC machines at their shop so we are planning on making a 110mm 70g stem and a pair of 50/34t 70g chainrings.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

sanrensho
What cages are those? Thanks.

they are Tune wassertrager 2.0 cages

Schmittler

by Schmittler

Yeah, finally some chinese rims in 30 mm - perfect height!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

adrianlmp1246 wrote:We are trying to make a sub 20g pair of skewers, but we have no idea how to achieve that. My friend and I can't wrap our head around how to make the weight any lower without using carbon in the build process like Tune does.

My Friend and his uncle have a lot of CNC machines at their shop so we are planning on making a 110mm 70g stem and a pair of 50/34t 70g chainrings.

Or 52/36 chainrings would be sweet for mid compact.

On the QRs, they could taper the axles in the middle instead of a straight piece and also the the closing handle as well. Might save another couple of grams overall?

allanjuullarsen

by allanjuullarsen

adrianlmp1246 wrote:Mercury pedals by TriRig. They are amazing pedals, but the only drawbacks are the bearings. They tend to get extremely hot and cause the pedal body to heat up because of it. If you aren't careful where you place your leg at a red light, it can really burn your calf.

Can't help thinking that this sounds all wrong! If the friction in the bearings are of a size leading to this much heat being generated I would consider it a serious problem?

/Allan

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

allanjuullarsen wrote:
adrianlmp1246 wrote:Mercury pedals by TriRig. They are amazing pedals, but the only drawbacks are the bearings. They tend to get extremely hot and cause the pedal body to heat up because of it. If you aren't careful where you place your leg at a red light, it can really burn your calf.

Can't help thinking that this sounds all wrong! If the friction in the bearings are of a size leading to this much heat being generated I would consider it a serious problem?

/Allan

The Pedals don't really have bearings like normal pedals have, They are basically a thick washer, bearings was the only way I knew how to explain it. I contacted TriRig and they told me to swap out the current washers with one of the even thicker ones supplied with the pedals, but the problem still persists . TriRig claims the pedals will work fine if i just grease them with normal pedal grease, but he friction caused by riding burns the grease away after 30 miles and a none stop annoying squeak begins.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

dereksmalls wrote:
Or 52/36 chainrings would be sweet for mid compact.

On the QRs, they could taper the axles in the middle instead of a straight piece and also the the closing handle as well. Might save another couple of grams overall?

We are trying to make the skewers out of magnesium and grove intel the axle body and the handle. We hope the axle ends won't snap during rides on really rough roads.

xena
Banned

by xena

I had some DT magnesium soled shoes . They lasted a while then they both snapped in half on the same ride.
Not sure how I would feel about using magnesium in such a important place safety wise.
What peoples views about magnesium?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

jimborello

by jimborello

Wow, that bike is very nice, how much did you say you spent building it??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com