UPDATE! My Chinese Dream Bike Now 5.07kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

xena wrote:I had some DT magnesium soled shoes . They lasted a while then they both snapped in half on the same ride.
Not sure how I would feel about using magnesium in such a important place safety wise.
What peoples views about magnesium?

We made the magnesium axle today, from what we tested, I don't think it would be such a good idea.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

jimborello wrote:Wow, that bike is very nice, how much did you say you spent building it??

thank you for the comments :D
All in, including three wheelsets and extra parts, Just a little north of $6,000. It might seem like a lot of money to put into a Chinese frameset, but its the cheapest and lightest bike i own. it is also the one with he most "bling"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

adrianlmp1246 wrote:
jimborello wrote:Wow, that bike is very nice, how much did you say you spent building it??

thank you for the comments :D
All in, including three wheelsets and extra parts, Just a little north of $6,000. It might seem like a lot of money to put into a Chinese frameset, but its the cheapest and lightest bike i own. it is also the one with he most "bling"

That is crazy cheap! I have close to double that in my F8 that weighs 1.7kg more! I'm sure there are bikes here that cost 3x's that amount that aren't any lighter and have only one wheelset.

Great job!

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

BlackMadone wrote:That is crazy cheap! I have close to double that in my F8 that weighs 1.7kg more! I'm sure there are bikes here that cost 3x's that amount that aren't any lighter and have only one wheelset.

Great job!

Did you buy your F8 stock from a shop
This is the first bike I ever pieced together and I searched hi and low for the best deals online, roughly saving $3000. if I would of gotten all the parts at full retail, the build would of been around $9000, excluding frame. I bought my C60 for $13,000 at my LBS, makes me wonder how much money I would of saved if I would purchased the frameset and shopped around for all the components. :noidea:
Last edited by adrianlmp1246 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

hot bike!! What are the wheels with the black brake traks and yellow hub flanges/spoke?

Extralite do a fork expander plug that weighs 6g... so you can save 34g right there with out breaking the bank. ive been using one for 2 years and have never had a problem with it. http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraStar%203.htm

powercordz brake cable and powercordz Prime break housing to the rear brake could save you another 40g or so maybe.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Where can I order those rims? That's exactly what I've been looking for
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

kevosinn wrote:Where can I order those rims? That's exactly what I've been looking for

If you are talking about the Farsports carbon tubulars - right here http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/tubular/20mm/20mm-x-23mm-tubular-wheelset-extralite-hub.html

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

dereksmalls wrote:
kevosinn wrote:Where can I order those rims? That's exactly what I've been looking for

If you are talking about the Farsports carbon tubulars - right here http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/tubular/20mm/20mm-x-23mm-tubular-wheelset-extralite-hub.html

boom thank you sir
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

They don't say it on the site but as adrianlmp1246 has confirmed they have the new Extralite Cyber straight pull hubs which they don't generally sell to th epublic as they have to be disassembled to build etc (I asked Extralite about it)

fletch62

by fletch62

Can you tell me how the Engage brakes are going if you still have them on the bike?

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

fletch62 wrote:Can you tell me how the Engage brakes are going if you still have them on the bike?

The brakes are doing very well. If you are going to buy a pair, make sure that the pinch bolt grabs the brake cable tightly and that you insert the pinch clamp the right way. the braking is good, its not Dura Ace or Sram good, but it gets the job done without a problem.
Even though they still get the job done, I would say that they don't work as well on alloy rims as they do on carbon. Ax-lightness states their brakes should only be used on carbon rims and the same goes for the engage brand. In addition, The lighter you are the better the brakes preform. I gained 15lbs during the winter and the brakes had trouble stopping me. Once i lost the weight the brakes worked without a problem.

fletch62

by fletch62

Can i ask what you weigh? I'm hovering around 80-82kg(180 pounds)

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

At the current moment 170 pounds and dropping. I'm loosing weight because i am doing a lot of climbing this summer. You will be fine purchasing the brakes. During a normal year I am around 175-180. The brakes had trouble stopping me at 195-197lbs. To clarify, the brakes stopped me, but they just took 2-3 seconds longer to stop. I also hard to apply more pressure on the brake lever.