Colnago master x light ad4 advice

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

PM me your address and I'll send you one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Coming together. Just need the rear deraileur step down ferrule, chain, some adjustments, and she's ready to roll.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

It so appears in going down this rabbit whole.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Looking very good so far

tids0009

by tids0009

Looking good Chazmtb. Yours is motivating me to do something with mine.

This is my Colnago Master X-Light, i've never been able to decide how to build it though so have done nothing. Had the frame for years sitting in my cupboard at home waiting patiently to see the light of day.

Bought this frame from an old guy who bought it brand new in 2001, built it with Record 10 speed, used it in fine weather for a few months and then decided he wanted a carbon bike so he stripped all the parts off this frame to build the new bike. This frame then sat under the old guys bed on carpet for the next 10 years. I got it in 2011 with lots of dust on it. Came up like brand new after a good polish. The original owner gave me the original receipt, owners manual and warranty papers. Such nice frames.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Oh yeah. That's a beauty. I went with alloy because I already have three carbon bikes with a lot of carbon bits on there.

Molotov

by Molotov

I think this really comes down to which wheel set you will use.
If you primarily care about the weight and riding characteristics and get something like Hyperions or Neutron Ultras then you might as well go with the new R or SR.
If you want a retro look, I'd still vote new alloy Athena due to its better shifting and more gears despite a retro look.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I would stay with the 10spd - shifting is arguably better than Athena 11spd and the levers are smaller and in keeping with the 8spd and 9spd levers of the frame's era. IMO a big spoiler with older frames - apart from the wrong bar shape - are the big 11spd ergo levers.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

chazmtb

by chazmtb

After a few adjustments and finish cabling she is ready for her maiden ride
She weighs in at 8.4 kg.

glepore

by glepore

Beautiful bike. Just a personal comment, but the rainbow spacers look out of place on such a classy bike. I'd also keep an eye out for a more classic stem when the budget affords-I really like the Grammo, just be aware that they have a history of cracking under heavy use.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kgt

by kgt

Stem, spacers, seatpost and saddle are not a good match IMHO.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think it's a nice build overall, but I would lose the rainbow spacers as well. And cabling is too short, especially the rear brake housing, both in front and back, and I don't think it's just the camera angle. I would have to redo that if it were mine. Derailleur cables... may be too short, not sure? Can you at least turn bars all the way to the top tube both sides without pulling the derailleur cables excessively?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

That pesky step down ferrule is so hard to locate. That's tripped me up everytime and I had to really scrounge hard at local shops. Anyone have a reliable online source for those?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I got mine from wheels and sprocket on eBay. Wheels manufacture makes it. 7 shipped for two. Got it in two days.

I like the colnago colored head spacers. Cables are short but still functional. I guess it's the weight weenie in me. I'll make changes next time if needed. Saddle, what can I say. That's the saddle for me and it is on my three other bikes