Colnago C60 - RSWH build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks for comments. bike arrived in a box at work on friday and after putting handlebars back on and front wheel i was off like a shot riding it home. nice commuter bike!

with pedals and computer mounts on it etc. i've end up with a 6.8 kg bike (6.83 kg to be exact).

i do see the attraction of having all black up top on a bike like this however i think the architect of the build (thanks Bike Force Richmond!) made the right call with the white. Especially with the Deda 35 gear which looks great I think and even has a touch of "herbie goes bananas" about it!

my absolute druther would be for exactly the same bike but without the pinstriping on chain stay.

i think this is because i think the less going on the better sometimes. i was going to use the PR99 as an example but of course the stays in that case are a solid black but it does overall have a bit less going on and to me is pretty much the best of the best of the colnago frames. (photo credit to @davec)

the stuff on the forks looks ok as it continues the italia tri colour theme but the bit on the rear just looks slightly out of place. i think thats why i particularly like the stem because the decals on it do a job of integrating the stay paintwork.

one thing i really do like and you see it in the above photo is the largeness of the down tube and its rectangular shape.

anyway these various aesthetic points aren't expressions of disappointment, far from it, just one facet of my interest in these bikes. and my interest in them fades as the bike goes from being an object being looked at to an object being used. and it feels very good to ride. early days yet but very nice to have a new bike where everything is working and feeling just so.

i hope to say something about riding the lightweights versus the bora 35's at some point (it might somehow justify me buying them if i can compare). utterly unoriginal initial impressions (having ridden home on friday in a gale) is that they get blown around about 10 times more than the bora's and they look absolutely brilliant on your bike.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, just how big do those bars really feel? They just look so thick to me. And while this is my favorite color scheme for the C60 I do agree with you that the pin striping detracts from its overall beauty rather than adds. Still, superb bike. Enjoy!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

Bars, especially in white do look huge. However for feel it is great. The white looks particularly great having a sort of matte effect. Bars very rigid. I've got presas on old bike and they were bendy in drops. Not so with this one.

Red and black on stays does match in with writing under down tube however viewed from above it really seems incongruous to me. However less so in person and now I'm pretty much past it. If I was a real nut I'd have the stays painted plain white.

I think the way colnago see it, it is a red black on white colourway with a tricolor as added. But on computer I think it looks more like a white bike with tricolor and then "why are those details on the chain stays".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Looks superb. :D

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

chazmtb wrote:Wow, unbelievably beautiful in every way. Inspires me to get a white carbon lugged Colnago one day.

AMEN

mrgray

by mrgray

hi
so after riding this for a bit i've unfortunately developed a slipped disc so i'm off the bike for a bit sorting that out.

this is a great opportunity to work on the weight however. i like the bike light as i have decided it is all about how the bike feels not some rational assessment of overall rider plus bike weight.

i have taken off the polar computer and garmin. i was running 2 computers (loved the cs500 and couldn't not have it. also good for rollers). no more however. also taken off a cage and all the lights (i was using this as a commuter bike and for audax so reflectors and lights were compulsory). i also trimmed the seat post being careful to retain ~ 100 mm.

we end up with this

weight is 6.72 kg.

modifications to come are:
- power2max power meter - this will add 188 g - this is terrible however i look forward to some more metrics.
- replace brakes with THM Fibula. I saw the "Pinkie and the Brain" C60 post and I could not believe how great they looked. I sort of wanted to go with EE but i was disappointed that you couldn't get that cool rear brake look for direct mount on both front and rear for non-direct mpunt brakes. EE looks weren't up to it I thought. THM is pretty much functional art. Also 132 g to the good! Expensive grams though.
- try new saddle, AX Lightness Endurance Plus. My Regale weighs 199 g (should be 193 g) and I'm not oin love with it (but Ive also done 1000 kms on it with no real problems except it tends to slip a bit). I gain 116 g here.
- changing 120 mm stem for 100 mm. I was having to get my saddle too far forward and I'm concerned thats not good for my body or for form hence the change. Might get a gram or two out of this.

All up if we ignore the power meter I get to 6.47 kg.

I have Veloflex Extreme on the way. 22 mm which is silly but I save 90 g with these relative to my Schwalbe One's. I might just have the thinner on front and a 25 mm on rear.

6.38 kg is what I could achieve however at best case with power meter we go back to 6.57 kg. Pretty good I think. With a few accessories I'll still be under 6.8 kg. I'll come back when I have it all done. Show some pictures and report on AX Lightness saddle comfort (hopefully).

Note: Schwalbe One's have great grip, have great puncture resistance, don't need to be pumped up every day as they are Butyl, but in my opinion steal joy from the experience of riding a bike unless they are at the exact pressure where you get some give. I hope I fix my back so I can experience my bike on some nicer tyres because i don't think i have had the best of it yet.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg