2014 Wraith Fabrication Hustle

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice build, and nice weight for a steel steed :thumbup:
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Rumsas

by Rumsas

I think your choice of tires is juuust right. Nice bike nice bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lrdunc

by lrdunc

JasonL wrote:Hi lrdunc! The saddle is very nice, but I haven't had a chance to test it out. Once I get this thing built up and ridden, I'll provide some feedback. On fit/finish, the buffalo leather cover doesn't seem too durable, especially at the edges where it feels like suede material. I really like the construction of the saddle, especially the underneath area.

Thanks for the extra photos...looking forward to hearing how it holds up for you over time! Aesthetically it is definitely top notch :thumbup:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Not to pollute your thread but figured I'd throw mine in here. No weights but honestly not really a weight weenie at all. It's probably 8kg at moment. I'm 75 kgs 180cm
Hustle ML
Campagnolo Athena Carbon, Zondas GP4000s
3T ionic zero
3T ergonova carbon 42cm
PRO plt 110cm -6
Arundel stainless cages
Arundel tape
Prologo Scratch Pro Plus

I don't run a huge drop (77cm height, 10cm drop) and I'll need to run at least a -10 and maybe a -17 stem to get it to work.

That said, I'm generally pretty impressed with it. It's not at all some flexi comfy steel frame. It's so stiff to the point of being a bit jarring through the rear end on descents. Fork is stiff too. You know it when you hit a pothole. The flip side of this is that it loves a good whack of power through the pedals esp out of the saddle where I think that firm rear end gives positive results. It's a bike that loves to be pushed. I've set a few surprising pb's on 20-30 minute clmbs (usual ride super6 nano).

I've had 2 near nasty crash experiences lately on this thing due to moronic drivers. Each time I've had to pull some quick evasion tactics and in extreme situations the Hustle held its composure really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Yes!!! I absolutely love these frames. Great build.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Any reviews on this? Super keen to get a steel racer and this seems to look like the best option.

JasonL

by JasonL

I went back to a more moderate build with SRAM force and moved all the WW components to a FM066 build. I prefer how this frame rides over the FM066. There is a springy feel with this frame, and doesn't feel as 'harsh'. Here's the current build as is with majority metal parts with the exception of the wheelset weighing in at 7.85kg, far from being a ww :oops:

Frame Wraith Hustle (M, 54cm TT)
Fork Whiskey Fork

Headset Columbus COMPASS Headset
Headset cap Absolute Black Top Cap
Headset expander Generic

Handlebar Zipp Service Course SL70 Ergo 40cm Drop Bar 31.8 Beyond Black
Handlebar tape Lizard Skin DSP 1.8
Handlebar plug Lizard Skin
Stem Thomson Elite X2 Alloy 100mm Bicycle Stem 31.8 Clamp
Spacers Extralite Delrin Headset Spacers

Saddle Selle Italia Flite 1990 139mm x L 275mm
Seatpost Thomson Elite (Straight, 27.2X250mm)
Bottle cages King SS cages
Seatpost clamp J&L Titanium bolt Seatpost clamp 31.8/34.9-9g Black/Ti-Collar-Ultra light

Crankset Sram Force 22 172.5mm 36/52
Chainrings 36/52
Bottom Bracket GXP
Chain pc1170

Shifters Sram Force 22
Cassette Sram Force 22 11/28 pg1170
Front derailleur Sram Force 22
Front derailleur clamp Sram
Rear derailleur Sram Force 22
Front Brake Sram Force 22
Rear Brake Sram Force 22

Brake/Shift cables Sram Force 22

Wheels FSC38CM-23-SL w/44 veloplugs
Skewers Farsports skewer
Tubes MICHELIN AIRCOMP BUTYL ULTRALIGHT
Tires S-WORKS TURBO
Pedals Shimano PD-M520L MTB Sport Pedals with Cleats

And here's the ww build:

leicaman

by leicaman

Both very nice bikes but I think I'd take the Wraith everyday of the week ;).

Now my steel bike has arrived, I can't see my Canyon CF SLX getting much time on the road.

Which do you prefer to ride?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Love the Wraith! I've been thinking about a custom steel road bike and Wraith is on my short list. Did you look at other builders?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

7.85kg is absolutely fine for a bike that will be comfortable and will last a long, long time. A steel frame with Thomson bits is never going to be about weight first. If you wanted to drop a few grams you could consider new pedals and saddle, but frankly if you like what you have then just ride & enjoy!
:beerchug:

JasonL

by JasonL

leicaman wrote:Both very nice bikes but I think I'd take the Wraith everyday of the week ;).

Now my steel bike has arrived, I can't see my Canyon CF SLX getting much time on the road.

Which do you prefer to ride?

Thanks, I do prefer the ride characteristics of the Wraith, but then again I don't have a higher end carbon frame to compare it to. It feels more solid, yet more comfortable than the FM066.

HaroldC wrote:Love the Wraith! I've been thinking about a custom steel road bike and Wraith is on my short list. Did you look at other builders?

Hi Harold, unfortunately the Wraith isn't custom, and comes in stock sizes. I'm sure if you reached out to Adam Eldridge, he would be able to put something together for you. I didn't look at other builders at the time, and custom wasn't even in my mind as I figured it would be out of my price range. Now that I calculated how much I've spent on both bikes, I wish I would have went custom :lol:

jbaillie wrote:7.85kg is absolutely fine for a bike that will be comfortable and will last a long, long time. A steel frame with Thomson bits is never going to be about weight first. If you wanted to drop a few grams you could consider new pedals and saddle, but frankly if you like what you have then just ride & enjoy!
:beerchug:

Thanks jbaillie, I agree with you. If I have to pick a bike to ride, it's always the Wraith first even though its heavier.