Custom paint, bicycle detailing and my bikes!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

joongsun

by joongsun

lovely colors!!

benzebub

by benzebub

wonderful, I've signed up for the competition again.. fingers crossed I'll be the lucky one this time
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JLNQ

by JLNQ

Hi all,

thank-you so much for the support!

Just wanted to show you the finished Canyon:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That is really nice, all your work is. Question, on the Canyon above, do you apply some coats of matte clear over top of everything? Some matte finishes I've worked with just seem to absorb a drop of oil or grease and they are really difficult to keep clean. And matte white without a proper clear just seems to absorb dirt like a sponge. Others, like my matte black C59 I have no trouble cleaning, anything just wipes right off due to whatever clear is on top, but still keeps the matte finish and looks as new today as when I got it 5 years ago.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I wonder the same. My matte SS Evo is half shiny now. :(

jgilesband

by jgilesband

JLNQ wrote:Hi all,

thank-you so much for the support!

Just wanted to show you the finished Canyon:

Sick!

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

WOW. that's some finish! Amazing work on the Canyon.

riggsy

by riggsy

just been looking through - credit to you and your work...

I want my supersix doing but the million dollar question is what colour, my head is baffled with so many different options... hmmmm
Cannondale CAAD12 Disc
Cinelli Experience
Specialized Langster s/s hack

:popcorn:

JLNQ

by JLNQ

Once again, thank-you all so much!

To keep matte paint looking fresh you need to wash it regularly. Oil and general crap will slowly sink into the paint.

Start off with regular fairy liquid to clean your paint-work. In the paint world, this is a absolute no-no but for preparation it's key. Let the detergent sink into the paint, leave it for a while to do its thing and it'll slowly remove all the gunk. Once you've done this, with low pressure hose the whole bike down removing all of the detergent.

Next you need to wash the frame with automotive shampoo, this is much easier on your paint-work and will make cleaning much easier.

If you want to go really anal, the use of wax and speed detailer will keep your frame looking fresh. I've been working with a local detailing firm to produce wax that's made for bicycles, check it out in action:

https://www.facebook.com/noquarterbikes ... =3&theater

(that's on a matte finish)

Hoping to produce a cool little kit this year that will be available to purchase :mrgreen:

James

Delorre

by Delorre

JLNQ wrote:Once again, thank-you all so much!

To keep matte paint looking fresh you need to wash it regularly.

Next you need to wash the frame with automotive shampoo, this is much easier on your paint-work and will make cleaning much easier.

Be carefull with those! Many have waxes in them and tend to turn your matte into more satin...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

JLNQ wrote:Once again, thank-you all so much!

To keep matte paint looking fresh you need to wash it regularly. Oil and general crap will slowly sink into the paint.

James

Thanks James, but my question earlier was whether you actually use a matte clear coat on top of the base paint to prevent the kind of thing you just mentioned... oil and crap slowly sinking in??
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JLNQ

by JLNQ

Using a wax on matte shouldn't be a problem, it'll go satin for a few days then slowly fade again. If you used the correct detergent and washed your bike once every couple of weeks, you should get 6 months out of each application of wax.

@Calnago, we use lacquer on every frame, doesn't matter if it's glossy or matte. Painting a frame and not applying lacquer will leave a 'matte' finish but it's a cheap and nasty way of achieving this. When the paint comes out the gun and hits all the different angles of the frame, it leaves a really horrible feel to the frame. Once you've painted x amount of coats this 'raw' feeling will be even worse, so once the frame is completely dry we'll flat it down and lacquer with matte.

JLNQ

by JLNQ

Here's what's up next...

Paint removal starts tomorrow

JLNQ

by JLNQ

We've recently taken stock of some beautiful candy colours!

**not our photo**
this is candy apple in action..

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Are you painting the BB threads on those metal frames?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com