Project 2015.1 - ’71 Cinelli + 2014 SR + LWs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

In the final stages of putting this beauty together - enough detail now to start whetting appetites. The concept of combining the best of everything is throwing up some compatibility challenges but patience and some innovative thinking will win eventually - I think it will be a fantastic bike to ride for its planned use - climbing and descending on solo rides through hilly country and maybe the occasional café showing.
Guess if you can

My first attempt at a polishing - a 3TTT stem and Deda bars - to match the chrome

Veloflex and Gipfelsturm - the perfect way to tackle a climb in style

ceramic bearings and Campagnolo dropouts

Chris King - light, functional and a delight to look at - perfect compliment for fresh new chrome

You can chose your friends..(but not what saddle your rear end likes) - not exactly beautiful but for this project the hand made carbon workmanship meets the required standard

A custom nickel plated replica headbadge to match the silver and chrome frame - no colour this time around

the best of Vicenza, Milano and Bavaria
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Yum!!!

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Would love to see the whole build...

* The rear tyre/tubular is in the wrong direction... Logo must be on the drive side.

:thumbup:

campbellrae

by campbellrae

This is going to be incredible! Great work so far :beerchug:

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Wow

kgt

by kgt

Although... lower profile Gipfelsturm would match better this frame IMHO.

v0coder

by v0coder

Sorry that smudge on your headset nut ruins the entire aesthetic. It could have been great otherwise.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

v0coder wrote:Sorry that smudge on your headset nut ruins the entire aesthetic. It could have been great otherwise.

knew someone would mention that....nice to see fellow OCD forum members coming out

kgt wrote:Although... lower profile Gipfelsturm would match better this frame IMHO..

I totally agree...............................
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

One of the challenges of building a mixed era bikes are the inevitable compatibility issues - the most recent was trying to fit 2015 brake callipers which have short bolts and recessed nuts on a frame designed to take really long fixing bolts and exposed nuts - as shown by these photos of my '72 Cinelli SC - a near twin frame to the current project but with early version components.

The new brake bolts aren't long enough to reach through the mounting points and there is no allowance for recessed nuts. After some head scratching I think I have a solution - hopped online to order the parts so will hold things up for a week or two.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

One other development - I mounted the carbon SMP saddle and looked at it from every angle - the carbon finish is good but in this instance the shape just didn't fit the look of the bike.
As an architect I can say confidently that the adage "form follows function" is rubbish if it doesn't look good as well. I can cope with the Brooks Swallow B15 saddle shape so took the plunge and ordered a Brooks Cambrium C15 in black - (it is claimed to mimic the B15 'fit')

This bike is built around items that I consider embody the tradition, craftsmanship and spirit of cycling and the Brooks will be a perfect fit in more ways than one.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That chrome work is stunning

bfno

by bfno

kgt wrote:Although... lower profile Gipfelsturm would match better this frame IMHO.

They are Gipfelsturm by the looks of it.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Awesome.. so much enthusiasm and passion involved. I like the saddle a lot but did you decide the slate/gum version would be a bit much? I haven't seen those saddles in person, but I think the gum walls picking up the gum color on the saddle would've been pretty cool.

bfno wrote:They are Gipfelsturm by the looks of it.

Yes, I thought the Gipfelsturm is just a newer version of the Ventoux with the same 27mm rim depth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

irongatsby - I agree - black on a gumwall base would have been perfect. I would have gone with the grey if it had been dark - the carbon parts are not black after all - but from the reviews I have read the slate grey is quite a bit lighter

The wheels are Gipfelsturms - basically renamed Ventoux model with upgraded hubs and black graphics.